D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

:O my appologies....it has been a long couple of days :D
JayK
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by JayK »

Diedel wrote:that's some cheat protection code, you ...! :P
Of course I didn't cheat, and my friends who encounter the same problems don't even know the codes ;)
Diedel wrote:j/k, it's buggy. ;) Fix is underway.
Okay, thx. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Not that kind of cheat. SP cheats don't work in mp, but you can do other things.
Dynamite
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dynamite »

Diedel wrote a while back: \"Btw, I played that other new level of yours, liked it very much. Just didn't find out how to access the central area.\"

What kind of version do you have? In one version, the robot triggers disabled themselves as I was editing...

And what central area are you trying to get to?

P.S. for the bug, I'll send you the level.
"If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true." -Pedro Sanchez,Napoleon Dynamite
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The robot triggers worked. I liked that level very much and will put it in my level spotlight. Maybe I had a wrong concept of it from having taken a look in DLE-XP at it before, I will take another look.
Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Joystick bug

Post by Nicolay.G »

I last tested with version .170

It still forgets the \"inverted axis\" for the joystick every two restores/loads.

I will try .176 today.

8)
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Whenever I check or uncheck \"Use Smoke\" or one of the other boxes that causes its sub-options to appear or disappear, the ENTIRE Render options menu has the tendency to revert everything else to the state it was in when the menu was opened. So then I am forced to go back and change options that I just changed.

It's just a minor annoyance, more than anything -- I can always close the menu and reenter it before choosing an option that will dispose of my newly-made changes.

(I want lots of options on on the D2X levels, but I prefer to turn off a bunch of options in the main campaign -- It is TOO BRIGHT with lightmaps turned on! [not that lightmaps aren't cool, of course])

[EDIT]
One more thing... Has anyone played any tracker games lately? I have tried to get on repeatedly in the past couple weeks but I have never seen more than one tracker going, or seen a single game. I have ports 9424 and 28341 open for UDP traffic on my firewalls... Except zonealarm, which I have designated to allow D2X-XL.exe full 'server' privelages. I'm gonna try adding an explicit 'trusted' set of ports to it...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

default UDP port is 28342.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

oops... That's what I MEANT to say, Lol... In fact, I have 28341-28343 all open on my firewall to give me a couple extra ports to play with.

BTW, I have tried starting 2 instances of D2X on separate ports (28341 and 28342), but niether can see the other, yet BOTH claim to see a tracker :?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bugs in version 1.5.177:

The render quality slider doesn't works anymore.

And, although it says it's already fixed by now, i still can't see skyboxes through transparent walls! :?

I updated my video drivers and checked the Render entire mine option, but still it doesn't works...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I had put a wall on top of my canyon level's canyon, and still could see the skybox.

I think you should play around with the wall transparency slider a bit. ;)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

So it could be my graphics card?

I got this with version 1.5.178:

One is a closed wall with transparency, and the other is a transparent type wall.

You can see that the terrain is visible through both walls, but where it should be visible the skybox, it's black.

'Render entire mine' checked, both walls with 54% transparency on DLE-XP and the D2X-XL Wall transparency slider is at 100%.

BTW, i have an e-GeForce MX4000 with latest drivers. Could this be a problem?
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

You're gonna kill me diedel.

NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS, ALWAYS MOVE D2X-XL.HOG TO THE DATA FOLDER WHEN EXTRACTING THE ZIP.

In other words, I fixed my smoke problem... :oops: X 10

LOL -- Here I am bugtesting and I can't even get it through my head how to install the thing... Like Kirby said earlier... its been a LOOONG Couple of days (er... in my case WEEKS)...

The GOOD news is that I didn't run into any bugs in the latest versio.... GEEZ THE SMOKE IS AWESOME.... MUST PLAY NOW!!!....... <Connection apruptly terminates> :P
VR7
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VR7 »

I still don't get HiRes textures... It's always been extracted exactly to a \\TEXTURES folder in the D2 folder, without any extra subfolders by WinRAR. I have the command set up in the ini file. I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Apogee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Apogee »

Make sure you put highres_textures 1. I didn't have the one, it didn't work. Now it does :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Phoenix,

it's simpler than you think. Either, put all stuff except the missions (which go to the missions folder as usual) in the Descent 2 main folder, or sort it all into the various subfolders D2X-XL supports. You cannot mix both modes. Either use all subfolders, or none. Using them makes things a lot tidier anyway. ;)

Pumo,

please e-mail me your level, and I'll take a closer look at it.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

I know that little rule, it's just that for some reason I just never remembered to actually MOVE the unzipped files.... :oops:

Now I do have a \"bug\" to report. Sometimes on advancing to a new level, the \"show hud\" option spontaneously unchecks itself. I can recheck it and get the hud back really easily, but it is starting to annoy me.
Eskar
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Eskar »

I apologize if this was brought forward in the past - I searched these forums and couldn't find anyone detailing the same problem that I have.

I use the 3D Pro and did a fresh install of Descent 2. It's also the latest version. I installed D2X-XL and everything seems to run fine except that I cannot use the twist feature, the Z-axis, in the game. It simply doesn't recognize the axis at all so I cannot configure it for banking.

In the control pannel, the game controller is set as a Thrustmaster Flight Control System because Windows XP will not recognize my 3D pro as being connected. However, all the functions appear to work fine in Windows. Moreover, I play D1X and the joystick works like a charm. It's only when I load up D2X-XL that the twist feature is mysteriously disabled.

I should note that if I just run Descent II Win normally the axis is recognized. However, I am of course sacrificing the plethora of perks that come with D2X-XL.

I've tried everything I could think of - changing resolutions, changing versions, trying different D2X software, different game controller profiles, windowed mode vs fullscreen, different player profiles (some with predefined settings), etc. Nothing works. It simply will not recognize the twist at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm glad to see that the Descent community is still alive - I was blown away when I came across the D2X website and these forums. I didn't expect the community to be so strong. I just installed Descent on a whim yesterday to play it again for the first time in years. After playing five minutes of Descent 1, I now remember why I used to, and now still do, call Descent the best game I've ever played.

Computer Software/Hardware Information:
Windows XP Pro
Onboard Audio - CMedia
GeForce 4 4200ti
1gig Ram - PC2700
Sidewinder 3D pro, gameport
Chaintech 7VJL motherboard
D2X: d2x-xl-w32-1.5.178.zip

Not sure what else is relevant.

Thanks,
-Esk
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

To have WinXP detect a 3D pro, you need to use certain settings for the game port in the BIOS. I will post which ones later. I have 3D pros myself and they generally work. I will check your Z axis problem anyway though.
Nicolay.G
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Forget about the bug

Post by Nicolay.G »

D2x stills forgets the inverted setting in all axis every two reloads.

But I found an easy workaround. Change the settings, then make the file default.plr read-only, and it never forgets any settings again!

:twisted:

Another bug:
Show explosions when damaged, only works if use smoke is also enabled.

All this with .178
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

If I have smoking player ships on, and I turn it off ingame, it continues to smoke in that spot, even after I move. O_o
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

lol.

Nicolay,

that's not a bug, that's a feature. :P
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Hey, Diedel? I think your \"Warp Shockwave\" SP campaign might need some updating. D2X keeps crashing after five minutes every time I play it.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Little bug in version 1.5.178:

The render quality slider doesn't works anymore.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Works for me in 1.6.0.
Eskar
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Eskar »

I downloaded the newest version today and still no luck with the twist axis. It recognizes everything else still. Quite strange. :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Does it work in other games?

You need to enable the parallel port in your BIOS (which you probably have done, or the stick wouldn't work at all).

Chose 208/330 for the port addresses. My system has (automatically) chosen IRQ #7 for the parallel port handling.

You also need to push the small slider at the bottom front of the stick to the position with the two small bumps.

On my (WinXP) system, the stick gets recognized 99% of the time this way. If not, I have to reboot, and then it will be there (happens very rarely though).
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

Version 1.6.3

I have \"Show explosions when damaged\" checked. When I damage a robot and it starts exploding, my system slows to a wicked crawl. I also have \"smoking robots\" checked, but I never see much smoke coming off of them when they're damaged.

I have 1GB of RAM, a 6800 GT OC'd to 440/1170, and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ OC'd to 2.5GHz.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

v1.6.3 A few powerups are not confined to tunnels. As you can see, the above orange dot is floating in mid-air. There is also another one way, way out. Most of the bounce ok but some seem to have snuck through some where. Also, the hostages show up on the automap, are collectable, but just aren't visible.

On the other hand, hi-res graphics working, (can't wait for more!) as well as the hi-res pyro (awesome!!)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Silencer,

check your gfx driver and your smoke density setting in the render options dialog, and try to use medium or high density, not extreme.
Apogee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Apogee »

I'm having the same troubles as Silencer.. robot and missle smoking slows my system alot, and mine is almost as good as Silencer's. I'm running high smoke density, with the collision off. When I have 3 missles out, the lag is noticeable - after 5-6 or some smoking robots its almsot unplayable. This is with smoking ships off.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

With high smoke density, you're having from between 4000 and 16,000 particles per smoke trail (low damage) to between 40,000 and 160,000 particles per smoke trail (heavy damage). Go figure what that does to your gfx hardware. ;)
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Two bugs in the menus...

1) The \"expert mode\" toggle is now functioning in reverse (e.g. \"expert mode\" menu options now appearing with \"expert mode\" unchecked.)

2) The keyboard ramping options (all of them) are no longer working. At all.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

Whoa! Hi-res Pyro??? Is that like a hi-poly Pyro? How do you get that?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This model is floating around for quite a while. Someone built it once, and it was converted to a D3 polymodel. Now I added some code to D2X-XL to be able to read and render D3 polymodels. ;)

Hires bots may not work properly though, as I haven't added any model animation code.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Someone built it once, and it was converted to a D3 polymodel.
MD-2389 wrote:Thats Eagle's D4 PyroGX. You can download the hog for it from PD. Just use the hog extraction proggy to extract it, and then you just convert it to whatever usable format you use.
VR7
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VR7 »

Boy, this sure is persistent.

The hires textures still aren't working. :P I tried reverting to the default d2x.ini and adding the -hires_textures command there, still no joy.

Edit: Also, hires backgrounds don't work. Actually they do, but what happens is that in D1, you see the hires background flash for a split second before it reverts to the original, lowres background.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Silencer »

Weyrman wrote: the hostages show up on the automap, are collectable, but just aren't visible.
I started a D2:Counterstrike game and am noticing the same thing. In the D1 campaign the hostages were visible though.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Silencer,

viewtopic.php?t=9395 :evil:

VR7,

what is your texture quality slider from render options at?

Edit: I have fixed a shader program that didn't work on all systems. Get v1.6.6.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Silencer »

Diedel wrote:Silencer,

viewtopic.php?t=9395 :evil:
Uh, I'm not sure of your point. Could you please be more specific? If it's been handled in a new version (I was using 1.6.3), just say so. Are you mad cuz the bug's been reported already? If that's the case, you didn't state that you're aware of it and working on a fix. Also, I thought it would help to shed more light on the matter, with regard to the hostages showing up in D1, but not D2.

We all appreciate you're hard work in making this the best Descent gaming experience ever! Just trying to help...