D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page
D2X-W32 Update Notification Thread
This thread has the purpose of being a news thread only, serving to notify people of updates for D2X-W32.
So please don't post here.
There is an extra thread for D2X-W32 bug reports and suggestions here.
Download the most recent version of D2X-W32 here.
This thread will be not be used for regular update notes; I will however infrequently post messages of changes I find especially noteworthy.
The D2X-XL version history can now be found in the D2X-XL area of www.descent2.de.
To open it, click on the version number at the top of the D2X-XL intro page, or select \"Version History\" in the side menu.
- I have fixed the player ship stopping when pressing F7 to toggle the stats display.
- I have also changed the D2X-W32 version display in the main menu screen a little, adding a version number in a smaller, gray font.
- Fixed slow keyboard pitch/bank, added 1600x1200 res.
- Fixed screen resolution bug causing screen resolution always to be set to the one below the selected one (i.e. if you chose 1024x768, you got 800x600).
- Fixed slow keyboard turn rates with low framerates (e.g. due to frame cap set to 30 fps).
- Generally made turn speed capping frame rate independent (previous solution was kind of a kludge).
- Fixed not being able to change the player in-game when having specified a player with the -player command.
- Fixed: I have fixed a few menus not being displayed properly due to my recent changes regarding menu resolution.
- New: I have added an option to the main menu allowing to cyclically play all available game movies.
- Screenshots can now be taken during demo playback.
- There's a new version of D2X-W32 available with improved automap control. Kudos for this to Lehm, who's idea this was.
- Fixed the blocked doors bug (newly introduced by me ).
- I have improved dual joystick support, and applied a few bug fixes to it, too. Dual joystick setups fully work now, and are properly displayed in the joystick config.
- Mouse axis config bug fixed.
- It should now be possible to play D2X-W32 multiplayer games directly over the internet w/o the help of KALI.
To do that, the game host has to tell the other players his IP address and port offset he uses. The clients will need to enter that IP address in a new input dialog I have created. Optionally they can enter a port number their computer should use to communicate with the game host (if omitted, their computer will chose an arbitrary, available port for them). Got that? No? Never mind.
After they have done so, they should see the game host' s game in their games list and can proceed as usual.
The game host should see the connected player names in his player list and proceed as usual.
It can be that there are problems with coop games and games where the level can be destroyed by blowing up a reactor or boss. This is due to the fact that for UDP/IP d2x-w32 has to modify some of the data server and clients exchange, and leave some of the data untouched, and that I didn't know for sure which data to change and which not.
Regular multiplayer games should however work.
- Silent keys (caps lock, num lock) now work D2X-W32 v1.1.4 and can be used to control the ship or the like.
- You can now change the game host's UDP port under "more options" in the game options dialog.
- I have managed to work around game clients needing enter their IP address to join a d2x-w32 UDP/IP multiplayer game.
- In D2X-W32, you can now toggle through several cockpit window positions with Ctrl+F3 (top/bottom, in the corners, between corners and middle, right in the middle - the last one only makes sense if you have only one cockpit window open, which should however be the case in multiplayer games). I think a rear view right in the bottom center of the screen comes quite handy in mp games ...
- Besides that, I have tightened authentication in the UDP/IP code, so this version of D2X-W32 will not work with older ones when playing multiplayer over UDP/IP.
- Finally, I have enabled camera views in cockpit windows in single player.
- During tests I found out today that while my UDP/IP implementation worked on a single computer or a LAN, it did not work when playing over the internet.
To fix that, I have added an input field for the client (non game host) IP address.
At least for a regular broadband connection w/o router, you can find out your IP address by right clicking on the network symbol in the system tray, selecting "Status" and looking up the client IP address in the "Details" tab (if it's not named "Details" on your computer, just browse through the tabs).
- New: Pressing an option's hotkey in a menu (e.g. "Q" for Quit) now leads to the option immediately being executed. To avoid duplicate hotkeys, I have changed some option's hotkey to not being their initial letter. I have yet to work out a way to make these visible.
- Fixed: You couldn't change the joystick deadzone from 90% to another value.
- Menu hotkeys will now be highlighted.
- Enabled midi music playback. Depending on midi device, volume control may however not work.
- I have improved Midi sound volume control (sound will now be turned off or the volume changed right when changing the slider mark in the sound options dialog). Funny enough, while I cannot control midi volume with my Audigy 2, I can do it with plain vanilla AC97 onboard sound.
- You can now chose a movie to play, instead of having d2x cycling through the movies.
- Fixed: Midi-sound related crash when starting d2x-w32.
- Fixed: UDP/IP game host crashed upon starting a match (entering the mine).
- Fixed: Menu options containing line breaks weren't always displayed properly.
- Fixed: Midi sound was turned off when entering a new level.
- New: You can zoom the cockpit windows in 4 steps (Shift+Ctrl+F3). Note: This is not increasing the cockpit window size, but an actual zoom function in the cockpit windows.
- Fixed: Client players couldn't see each other, they could only see the game host. Only the game host could see all players.
- Entering a negative socket number when being the game host lead to an error message.
- Really fixed: Negative network socket offsets were rejected.
- Fixed: Other players couldn't see the 'generic' stuff a player lost when being shot down, i.e. shields, energy, concussion missiles. Powerups the player had picked up weren't affected.
- Fixed: Flag was only returned for the player returning it. For the others, it stayed at its place.
- Fixed: Levels occasionally being flooded with missiles or other powerups.
- Fixed a bug where entering a framecap > 127 led to problems, like very high frame rates, potential program crashes, and unresponsive or overly response controls.
- Fixed: Friendly player returning flag only working for the player returning it. All players will see this now.
- Fixed: Tabs in menus weren't working. This lead to 'scrambled' screens (e.g. the help screen)
- (Hopefully) Fixed: When chosing a network socket (offset) not equal to zero, the offset was seemingly kept across games, but indeed reset to zero after quitting a network game.
- Improved: CTF initial spawn code. There is no way to tell which players are on which team when the initial placement is done by the game, so the first half of players will spawn at blue and the second half on red team spawn locations. Once a player has been killed, he will always respawn at a proper team spawn location.
- Fixed: Yet another bug in UDP/IP communication causing dropped powerups to be duplicated for the clients until D2X's object limit was reached and you couldn't shoot anymore.
- Fixed: Crash when leaving a game and rejoining it.
- Fixed: Timeout function was disabled leading to "ghost" players when someone left the game.
- Fixed: Clients "forgetting" socket offsets between game joins. I.e. if a client had set the network socket to -3, joined a game, left it, went to the main menu, and then to the join game menu again, -3 would still be displayed there as network socket, but wasn't applied.
- Fixed: The "play song" menu did not work, but rather crash the whole program ...
- Fixed: Text in listboxes (e.g. level selection) wasn't displayed properly, but simply overwritten after having played a game.
- Yeah, with the help of Aga, a German Descent player, I have finally managed to make UDP/IP multiplayer fully working.
- Fixed: Pressing the slide on key while turning wouldn't enable sliding.
- Fixed: Display errors in config menus.
- Fixed: Opening the toggles menu would always turn "fixed respawn locations" on.
- Fixed: Missing or garbled mission name in client's game list.
- Improved: Detection of own IP address.
- Fixed: IPX multiplayer didn't work any more.
- Fixed: If the server was entering a multiplayer game and no other players were present when starting the game, he was immediately returned to the main menu.
- New: You can now play old-style D2 CTF games with D2X-W32 by unchecking "enhanced CTF" in the Toggles menu or the game parameters, more options menu (latter server only).
- Changed: UDP/IP code. Might still not work properly, needs more testing. The changes I had applied were necessary though and might just need some fine tuning.
- Fixed: Port offset jumped to 99 in join game menu. This afaik only happened when a udp game had been hosted prior to opening the join menu.
- I have added cockpit window automap view as kind of a radar. You can enable it by toggling through the various cockpit window views. In multiplayer, it will only be accessible when "Show all players on Automap" was checked by the game host in the game parameters screen. Additionally, it has to be turned on in the toggles menu.
- Changed: Cockpit window automap will now always show the level top down.
- Fixed: Rear view cockpit window working again.
- New: You can now toggle between top down and heads up Radar view in the Toggles menu.
- Fixed: Robot movies too large in briefings.
- Fixed: In certain mission briefings, the screen wasn't cleared from old text before new text was written, resulting in garbled screens. This has been fixed.
The cause for this bug is the same causing disappearing menus, so this bug is hopefully fixed, too. If anybody should still encounter it, drop me a note here. Now that I know what causes this bug, it's not too hard to apply any additonal fixes.
- Fixed: Ping command not working in IPX netgames. This might have also fixed the broken hoard mode in IPX netgames.
- New: Instead of chosing top down or heads up view for the radar in the toggles menu, you can now toggle it with the cockpit window toggle keys (i.e. Shift+F1/F2). That means that you can have both a top down and a heads up at the same time, each in one of the cockpit windows.
- New: Radar will show powerups (green) and robots (magenta) in single player.
- Fixed: Erroneously highlighted letters in many message boxes.
- New: D2X-W32 now supports keyboard ramping, i.e. smooth acceleration with the keyboard controls. Adjust keyboard ramping in the D2X Options submenu of the Options menu.
- Fixed: Ramping debug code removed.
- Fixed: Max. speed was decreased due to ramping implementation.
- To my utter amazement, I found the brightness control being non-functional. I remember having used it successfully just recently though. Anyway, I have fixed that.
- New: D2X-W32 can create colored gun fire effects (i.e. the surrounding area is lit in the color of the shots). Can be turned off in the toggles menu.
Hint: Some weapons do not give the color one would expect due to their light effect color being derived from the weapon's shots' average color.
- Fixed: After my recent changes, the headlight wasn't working any more.
D2X-W32 1.1.46 Color effect and Radar improvements
- Changed: Color effect won't dim the environment any more. In bright surroundings they can however be barely visible now (which imo makes sense).
- Changed: Powerups are now drawn orange on the Radar.
- Changed: Robots are now drawn purple and blinking on the Radar.
- Changed: As the Radar can be toggled on/off with the cockpit window toggle keys, I have removed the Radar enabling option from the toggles menu. The Radar is now always available, unless the game host doesn't permit all players to be visible on the automap in multiplayer games.
- New: Powerup visibility on the Radar can now be toggled in the toggles menu.
D2X-W32 1.2.0 Entropy game mode added
- New: Entropy game mode. For a description see my Descent Site. Please note that this game mode has been tested, but not with every possible parameter setting.
- New: Zoom for Gauss and Vulcan cannon (can be toggled in the Toggles menu, activate with Right-Shift).
- New: Pursuer perspective (toggle with Alt+F12; only available in single player). Reticle intentionally missing.
- Improved: Colored light effects.
- Improved: Menu display code (reduced invisible menu effects).
- Fixed: Initial player spawn locations in team games when the level contains team-specific spawn locations are now correct.
- Fixed: Red team players did not always spawn on red team start positions.
- Fixed: IPX code bug.
- Fixed: UDP code bug.
D2X-W32 1.2.1 Keyboard ramping improved
- New: You can now enable keyboard ramping for forward/backward, rotation and sliding separately in the D2X options menu.
- Fixed: Keyboard ramping was always reset to 100% when entering the D2X options menu.
- Improved: D2X will now consistently issue warning messages when it encounters problems.
- Improved: D2X will now return to the main menu when reading corrupted save games.
D2X-W32 1.2.2 - 1.2.3 Entropy Improvements
- New: You can now chose to have team rooms lit in the team's color.
- Improved: Entropy game options menu split into several sub menus.
- Fixed: In fuel centers and repair bays that cannot be conquered (because the level designer marked them as permanently neutral) every player can replenish energy/shields.
D2X-W32 1.2.4 Rendering fixes
- Fixed: Entropy texture handling was always set to "Keep textures" when entering that menu.
- Fixed: D2X should not render colored segments any more unless these belong to a team, the game is in Entropy mode, and "Colorize rooms" is selected.
D2X-W32 1.2.5: Various fixes
- Fixed: Couldn't return own flag any more.
- Fixed: Slide/bank toggling didn't work.
- Fixed: Game hung when player died.
- Changed: Enhanced CTF option move to game parameter menu and removed from toggles menu.
D2X-W32 1.2.6: More fixes
- Fixed: When playing multiplayer with non-D2X-W32 versions, would always report differences in level data.
- New: Robots can now hit other robots. That doesn't mean they attack each other; it simply means that when a robot happens to hit another robot, that robot gets damaged. Can be toggled in the Toggles menu..
D2X-W32 1.2.7: New Features
- New: D2X-W32 now supports in-level teleports. They work instantaneously; you simply appear at the destination with your current orientation and speed. If a teleport has several destination locations, D2X-W32 will randomly chose a destination every time the teleport is triggered.
- New: Weapon auto-select can now be partially or fully turned off. That means that your weapon will not pulled away from under your behind right in the middle of a fire fight, leaving you w/o firepower for critical seconds.
- Fixed: Game hung occasionally when player was shot down.
- Fixed: Couldn't cycle 2ndary weapon with the keyboard when a joystick button was also assigned 2ndary weapon cycling.
- Fixed: Radar didn't work anymore.
- Improved: Player symbol on radar now has direction indicator.
D2X-W32 1.2.8 - 1.2.9: Multi-texturing and more
- New: Multi-texturing implemented by Lehm. This is a prerequisite for adding lightmap controlled (colored) lights and vertex lighting.
- Fixed: Dropping prox bombs sometimes dropped smart mines instead.
- Fixed: Pre-1.2.0 save games couldn't be loaded any more.
D2X-W32 1.2.10: Improved Teleports
- Improved: The target side of teleport trigger target segments now specifies the direction the player will face when appearing at the destination.
- Fixed: Objects were occasionally rendered too large on automap/radar.
D2X-W32 1.2.12: Various Fixes
- Fixed: Scoring on CTF games didn't work.
- Fixed: Couldn't start non enhanced CTF games.
- Fixed: Messed up game parameter menu after returning from more game params menu (option labelled "42" etc.)
- Fixed: Zoom and auto select radio buttons worked as a single and not two separate button groups, thus not allowing to change both settings individually.
D2X-W32 1.3.1 - 1.3.2
- New: Custom robot settings will be reset after each level.
- Fixed: D2X-W32 will not quit after issuing an error message when it couldn't load a level.
- New: D2X-W32 now allows up to 1800 segments and 700 objects.
D2X-W32 1.3.3 Level auto download
- New: Level auto download feature. Works with IPX and UDP connections. To enable it, both game host and client must have enabled it in the toggles menu. If enabled, the game host will send the current mission to the client if the client doesn't have the mission, or has a version of it that is different (beware: not necessarily older!) than the game host's.
D2X-W32 1.3.5 Per Vertex Colored Lighting!
- New: D2X-W32 now uses vertex lighting for color effects. This means that color now properly blends into the level across segment boundaries.
- New: You can now toggle colored lights and colored gun effects separately.
- Improved: Reduced flickering when firing colored shots.
- Fixed: Brightness did not decay to normal level after picking up stuff.
- Fixed: Player file format. Unfortunately, this will require you to delete any player files and create new players in D2X-W32, but as far as I can tell the player files will now (again) be fully backward compatible, and this should be the last time D2X-W32 messes them up.
D2X-W32 1.3.8: Tracker Communication Added
- New: D2X-W32 now supports trackers. When starting/joining a UDP/IP multiplayer game via tracker, game hosts will register with and game clients will download the list of online available game hosts from all known trackers. Find details here.
- Fixed: Hoard games did not work any more due to adding the Entropy game mode.
D2X-W32 1.3.9: Lotsa fixes
- Fixed: Friendly fire. FF is always determined by the game host. A client changing its local friendly fire toggle during a multiplayer game has no effect. Please regard that damaging yourself is also a kind of friendly fire, so if ff is turned off you will not be able to damage yourself. FF will be enabled if the game host is not a D2X-W32 executable.
- Fixed: Program crash right when starting it.
- Fixed: Delayed/inhibited (re-) joining a match in progress (bugs weren't mine ... )
- New: You can now enter team games in progress if the game host makes them open games (this means that D2X-W32 doesn't force team games to 'restricted' any more).
- New: Team indicator (arrow) in front of the player's team name.
- New: Team auto-balancing.
- If enabled, D2X-W32 will try to even team sizes if the difference in size is more than one player and the smaller team is also the weaker team (doesn't make much sense taking away players from the losing team, huh?)
- If enabled, players joining a team game in progress are always put on the smaller, and if teams are equally sized, the weaker team.
- If disabled, players can switch teams by pressing Alt+Strg+T.
- Fixed: Crash when joining non-team games.
- Fixed: Friendly Fire was always enabled in clients
- Fixed: Still crashed when joining non-team games.
- Fixed: Player ship didn't change color when changing teams.
- Improved: Player now dies when changing teams (no score penalty).
D2X-W32 1.3.12 - 1.3.13
- Fixed: Crash caused by briefings (esp. when the briefing file had the same name as a level file)
- Fixed: Custom model textures weren't loaded if the original model wasn't in the level, too (e.g. Diamond Claw model used for Prox Bomb was only displayed properly if there was a real Diamond Claw in the level).
- Fixed: Model textures of the last object in the level weren't loaded in all cases (esp. if that object had some custom model).
- Changed: Moved "friendly fire" toggle to Network Games - More Game Options menu.
- Changed: Moved "inhibit suicide" toggle from Entropy settings to More Game Options menu.
- Fixed: Crash when leaving Toggles menu.
- Fixed: Zoom didn't work if cockpit windows were visible.
- Fixed: Extreme lag due to massive network traffic caused by auto balancing bug.
- Fixed: Crash when loading a new level after having played a level containing custom models.
- Fixed: Missions using custom robot and model data crashing. This was due to my recently introduced restoring of default robot and model data after playing such a mission. Vertigo data will now also not be deleted after having played a Vertigo mission.
D2X-W32 1.3.16: Entropy fix
- Fixed: You could increase your virus transport capacity by shooting team mates.
D2X-W32 1.3.17 - 1.3.18: Teleport trigger fix
- Fixed: "Light on" triggers were interpreted as teleport triggers.
- Fixed: Brightness not reset to normal when entering a level/respawning.
- Fixed: Weapon auto select "if empty" did not work.
New: Blinking text "TYPING..." over the ships of players typing a message or macro.
D2X-W32 1.3.19: Improved coloring
- Fixed: Flickering colors when firing weapons.
D2X-W32 1.3.20: Entropy enhancements
- New: Countdown timer in 1/10 secs displays remaining time until a room is conquered.
- Changed: Number of own and total rooms now displayed right of the team score.
- Changed: Kills do not count in Entropy.
- Fixed: Score for conquering a room is 3.
- Fixed: Potential lag issue because of clients flooding the game host messages when player has exploded.
- Improved: Handling of large amounts of network data.
D2X-W32 1.3.21: Custom model data fix
- Fixed: Crash when playing save games from levels with custom model data (e.g. D2:Vertigo)