- Fixed: Camera views showed the cockpit when cockpit view or status bar were enabled.
- Fixed: Wide screen view borders overdrawn by camera views.
- Improved: Made a few menu hotkeys unique in their resp. menus.
- Fixed: Explosions shining through walls (explosions are depth tested again, maybe making them not look as nice as they could on certain occasions, but hiding them if they appear at the rear side of walls or doors).
- Fixed: Parts of some powerups were rendered transparently.
- Changed: "Render HUD" option now only affects the full screen view.
D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page
- Improved: Speed boost area movement direction calculation. The ship will now move parallel to a vector ("line") from the center of the side containing the speed boost trigger to the center of the speed boost trigger's target side.
- Changed: You can now call the options menu or pause/exit the game when in speed boost mode.
- New: If the ship gets stuck at a wall while in speed boost mode, it won't freeze any more, but drop into regular flight mode.
- Fixed: Lightmap performance issue on some Radeon cards.
- Improved: Lightmap calculation much faster now.
- D2X-W32 will now understand the name tag "d2x-name" of D2X-W32 missions that has been introduced with DLE-XP v1.4.15. This should take care of non-D2X-W32 program versions loading D2X-W32 levels and crashing when trying to display them.
D2X-W32 1.4.35: High res, true color replacement textures
- New: Support for high-res, true color replacement textures. A replacement texture must have TGA format (uncompressed, 24 bits w/o alpha channel or 32 bits w/ 8 bit alpha channel) and must be stored in a subfolder of the Descent 2 folder named "textures" with the same name as the texture it replaces (e.g. "c:\programs\descent 2\textures\metl130.tga").
- Fixed: Powerups were rendered slightly transparent.
- Fixed: Missile and gun fire explosions weren't rendered transparent if the transparent explosion option was checked.
- New: Support for partially transparent high-res overlay textures (like door animation frames, grates or fans). This feature requires use of a shader program. In case the hardware doesn't support shader programs, high-res texture use will be inhibited.
- New: New option "use high-res textures" in the render options menu (will not be displayed if the hardware doesn't support the required shader program).
- Fixed: Level version mismatch when playing with pre 1.4.3x D2X-W32 or legacy D2 versions (reason: calculation result deviations due to using faster and more precise math routines ...).
- Fixed: Animations not working.
- Improved: Transparency checking for TGA image based textures.
- Fixed: CTD when switching to Cockpit or bar HUD views.
- Fixed: Sides with a second texture on them too bright with multi texturing.
- Fixed: Buggy TGA file handling.
- Fixed: Most parts of levels pitch black with lightmapping enabled.^
- Fixed: Object texture animation not working.
- Fixed: Massive performance loss with lightmapping enabled.
- Fixed: Doors, fans, grates etc. that have base textures (forming a frame for them) aren't rendered transparent if the hardware doesn't support the required shader program.
- Changed: Removed option "use high-res textures" from render options menu and added switch "-hires_textures" to d2x.ini instead. That means use of high res textures will be determined once at program start and cannot be changed while the program is running. High res textures aren't supported if the hardware doesn't support the required shader program.
- Changed: No multitexturing if use of high res textures is disabled.
- Improved: Camera performance. Using cameras will result in a much smaller framerate hit than it used to do now.
- Fixed: Automap showing too much of a level.
- New: Switch "Multiple Bosses" in the gameplay options menu. If checked, you will have to kill all bosses in a level to end the level, not just one.
This should be interesting for level designers, because they can now put several bosses into a level and have them all show the full boss behaviour (set the "end level" flag for each boss in DLE-XP).
Note: You can still not have both a boss and a reactor in a level. You can however have mini reactors that will not end the level.
- New: When multiple bosses is enabled (gameplay options menu), there can also be a reactor in the level.
- New: D2X-W32 now supports using a singleplayer missions folder. It must be a subfolder of the missions folder and bear the name 'single' (e.g. c:\program files\descent2\missions\single'). The main menu has a new option "New single player game", displaying only missions from that folder in the mission list.
- Improved: When building the mission list, D2X-W32 now doesn't simply read all mission files (*.msn, *.mn2), but checks if the related level files (*.hog) are present, and if not, doesn't display the mission in the mission list. That way, you will get around errors when trying to play such a mission.