D2X-XL on Mac OS X

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

Kaelan, never mind... For some reason I didn't have OpenGL listed in the link section of my target, even though it was under the Linked Libraries part of the file/group list. I deleted and re-added and it compiles and runs.
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

ok, here's another weird thing (two actually). When you blow the reactor, it doesn't "activate the self desctruct sequence". The exit opens, but theres no countdown to blowup. I gave it like 2 minutes and the mine never blew. Also, the reactor doesn't look like its blowing up like it should be, it just looks broken.

heres the second thing: I got this after coming back from the secret level attached to level 3. Nothing happened, no crash or anything and hte game was fine it just popped this up.

http://kd527.frihost.net/Picture%202.png
inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

I can play on my iBook 1GHz (10.4.3) and get the self-destruct seqence, but I noticed that I got the behavior you mentioned when using an eMac running 10.4.2. What version of OS X are you running?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Kd527 wrote:When you blow the reactor, it doesn't "activate the self desctruct sequence". The exit opens, but theres no countdown to blowup. I gave it like 2 minutes and the mine never blew. Also, the reactor doesn't look like its blowing up like it should be, it just looks broken.
Uncheck "Multiple Bosses" in Options->Gameplay. Also, you might wan to check out the last couple pages of D2X-XL Bug report thread
Kd527
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kd527 »

OK, thanks, I'll try that. for the record, I'm running OS X v10.4.3 on an iBook G4 1.42 GHz (pretty new).

edit: Yep, that was it, the multiple bosses.
inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

Kaelan/Diedel:

I think I found something crucial in the network related code. Follow the link below:

http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermai ... 00134.html

You'll see a post related to some assumptions that are being made in the networking code (specifically in addiflist(), ipx_udp.c lines 322-323). I think this is at least one place where we'll have to rework some code.

I tried a quick fix by replacing SIOCGIFCONF with OSIOCGIFCONF, but it just fails further on down the road. It may be possible to use getifaddrs() but I won't have time to look into that for a while.

Please let me know if there's a better place to post this kind of information.

Edit:

Here are a couple more relevant links:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 00061.html

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1145.html

I got the source for get_ifi_info off the website linked from the Apple technote but I haven't had time to do anything with it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

cool, thx inuwali. kaelan, do you read? :)

Edit:

To check what's going on with UDP communication, check what arch/linux/ipx_udp.c::ipx_udp_SendPacket() and arch/linux/ipx_udp.c::ipx_udp_ReceivePacket() do. Check arch/linux/linuxnet::ipx_get_packet_data() too.

Any errors occurring there might lead you to the reasons why UDP/IP doesn't work (if it doesn't work on OS X).

Edit 2:

Re the level error with Glass House:

Check what happens with segment 798, side 2 (or any other segment and side being displayed as invalid or so) in main/gameseg.c::validate_segment_side(). Depending on whether that side there has a wall, the side's type is set.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Kd527 wrote:OK, here's a weird problem I sometimes get (I hope no one else reported this). the screenshot says it all:

http://kd527.frihost.net/d2x%20invalid%20polygon.png

then once I hit ok D2X-XL quits.
What level was that? D2:CS:L1?
sekoku
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sekoku »

Diedel wrote:
Kd527 wrote:OK, here's a weird problem I sometimes get (I hope no one else reported this). the screenshot says it all:

http://kd527.frihost.net/d2x%20invalid%20polygon.png

then once I hit ok D2X-XL quits.
What level was that? D2:CS:L1?
Not to bump a two day old topic (I'm not sure what the general atmosphere around here is to know if that's allowed. Sorry!), it happens in ALL levels. I know this, because it happens in my version as well. Dunno if upgrading to 10.4.3 will fix it or not.

Kinda annoying, since I happen to go back to the menu to do another mission, and it won't load. :(

Another problem I'm seeing is trying to load a mission (Descent 1 port, for example), the game spits me back to the main-menu. Seeming to put the missions in seperate files seems to fix this. So, while it's not a MAJOR bug, it's just a minor annoyance for those not in the know.

Otherwise, this an awesome port. I'm enjoying the game (Jeez, has it been ten years already?!) all over again.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

sekoku,

once ppl have donated enough to allow for me purchasing some used Mac, I will be able to look into these issues myself and probably resolve them faster due to my intimate knowledge of the d2x-xl, but until then we depend on kaelan to fix this.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Did I mention that the movies don't work/aren't read. Please keep this in mind. Also, don't forget that the Mac videos don't have -l or -h at the end.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Rename them and see whether they work. If not, provide a d/l of them for me somewhere.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Diedel wrote:Rename them and see whether they work.
They don't. It doesn't even start up.

Terminal output:

Code: Select all

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
Diedel wrote:If not, provide a d/l of them for me somewhere.
I'll try to find a place, but they are about 150MB

maybe I can provide a torrent for you, although I will have to come in real-time contact with you, and I'm not sure how well P2P works between us(I'm in western Canada.)
inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

OK folks, I've gotten to the point where I'm getting the same error: can't open hoard.ham. And voila! I have no such file. Is that file only installed with D3? Where can I get my hands on it?

Kaelan, it looks as though the reason that error is appearing is due to one line in multi_prep_level() in multi.c. 10 or so lines from the end of that function, init_hoard_data() is called unconditionally if RELEASE is not #defined. I'm going to try to change that one area and see if I can get multiplayer working tomorrow. When you build the OS X binary for people to download, did you define that value for the preprocessor?

I'm hoping I can get things working in the absence of hoard.ham tomorrow, and then eventually get the file so I can have full functionality.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

inuwali wrote:I'm hoping I can get things working in the absence of hoard.ham tomorrow, and then eventually get the file so I can have full functionality.
I can easily provide you with the appropriate file. I'll e-mail it to you(PM me with addy please).

Also, I tried playing it with HOARD.HAM in the Data folder, the game starts up, but only the music plays. The actual game doesn't start up(i.e. nothing seen, nothing rendered). However, I am doing this solo.

In other words, we're halfway there, but still have a long way to go.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Get the file here. It's only needed for playing multiplayer hoard games though, so it shouldn't hurt if it's not present.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Diedel wrote:Get the file here. It's only needed for playing multiplayer hoard games though, so it shouldn't hurt if it's not present.
It's always trying to get loaded.(irresponible little prick)

BTW did you get this from D3 (ranaming HOARD.D3M to HOARD.HAM, what I did) or somewhere else

EDIT: I've tried this one, it works

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Who's up for a game?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nope, it's from my D2 installation. But as I said: You only need it for multiplayer hoard games.
inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

Sweet! Thanks Diedel. I'll try this out in my lab tomorrow. If it actually works (!) I'll have to see about coordinating with either you or Kaelan about getting a new binary out there.

I'm sure Kaelan would prefer (as would I) that we try to merge with his latest source. So if things actually do work tomorrow I'll let you know and we can take it from there.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I think that the most important issue now (Multiplayer-wise) is getting more people to play D2X-XL.
inuwali
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by inuwali »

And yet so far...

There's still work to do, apparently, for the multiplayer game. With hoard.ham I could get a game started, but I'm not able to reliably join from another computer. Once I actually did see the other ship on-screen, but it dropped out before I could really try anything.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If the other player disconnects, he might have the wrong destination address.

I had added code to patch the proper IP addresses into the data packets at the beginning of main/network.c::network_process_packet() (the PID stuff). You'd need to check the addresses each player uses in the functions I had mentioned further above here in this thread an in the NetPlayers.players [*].network data structure. Maybe that will hint you to something.
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

I've been quite busy lately, but I have had a few moments and was able to get the build working again with the new menu system and framebuffer code that Diedel has added. The latest version 1.5.60 is now available on the website. :D
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Well, -grabmouse has stopped working, weapons in MP don't switch with numbers(the cycle weapon keys work), and if I try to start the same level twice in one session, my computer locks up.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Mouse grabbing is now on by default in the d2x-xl release version.

Try to use 'grabmouse 1' in d2x.ini. You can see what folders d2x-xl accesses by starting it with the parameter -debug-printlog and checking the file d2x.log (should be in the d2x-xl program folder), to see whether it finds d2x.ini.

Dang. I need a Mac. There have been about 3000 downloads of the OS X version on MacUpdate and VersionTracker (so about 1000 for each version), and I have received like 8 donations (150 USD). And I simply cannot afford a Mac. Even used ones 1 1/2 year of age cost as much as a new Intel notebook here.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ahhhhh donations.... tis the season for them! :)

I'll be making mine sometime after New Year! :wink:
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

I just found that RELEASE was not being defined for my deployment builds like I thought it was. I'm building a new binary right now. This affects the default value of grabmouse, among other things. Not sure what's going on with the ini file yet, and unfortunately it gets loaded before debug printing gets started.

Look for a 1.5.61b release soon. It will be at:

http://programerror.com/packages/d2x-xl-1.5.61b.dmg
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

Yeah, grabmouse works much better in release mode. Though my mouse skills are severely lacking, it is much more playable. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

kaelan,

If you wait a few hours, I will commit v1.5.62 with a few new fixes and you can release 1.5.62. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please post bug reports for the OS X version in the D2X-XL Bug Reports - Max OS X thread. Feel free to continue non bug-related D2X-XL OS X discussion here.

Thank you.

Diedel
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

The latest D2X-XL version is now available for OS X. To grab it:

http://programerror.com/packages/d2x-xl-1.5.70.dmg
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Cool. Just grabbed and already posted it on my D2 site.

Thank you, kaelan. :)
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Well, this still looks only in /Applications/Games/D2X-XL/Data and /usr/local/share/D2X-XL/Data (in that order). How hard is it to change the filepath to ./Data? (or, if it is relative to the D2X-XL executable and not D2X-XL.app, then ../../../Data)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

All I can do is have the OS X version look for the data in ./data. I have added this to the source code and committed it to the SVN repos.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Diedel wrote:All I can do is have the OS X version look for the data in ./data. I have added this to the source code and committed it to the SVN repos.
Like I said, it may look for Data relative to the d2x-xl executable, not d2x-xl.app. Since the exectuable is located in d2x-xl.app/Contents/MacOS/, it may be necessary to use ../../../Data.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I see. Does that mean all the other folders are at ../../../<folder> too?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Diedel wrote:I see. Does that mean all the other folders are at ../../../<folder> too?
If I'm right, then yes.
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by bugmenot »

Diedel wrote:I see. Does that mean all the other folders are at ../../../<folder> too?
Yeah, ShadowFury is right. The GUI app encloses the executable in a bunch of folders, so looking in ../../../Data should work fine, for the Data and the Missions.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have again changed OS X folder detection to be able to find the data in ./data and ../../../data.

I direly need some detailled installation instructions for d2x-xl OS X, because some ppl have problems with the disk image stuff, complaining the whole OS X package was a complete mess. I cannot judge whether this is true, this is just what ppl write, e.g. as Review on MacUpdate.
bugmenot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Disk Image

Post by bugmenot »

Diedel --

I can help you out with the disk image. Mac users are a bit picky when it comes to downloadable files. Here's the deal:

The file that's downloaded is a zip file. After downloading it, the contents are an empty folder called \"__MACOSX\", a disk image, and a read me file. Having to open a disk image after expanding a zip file is annoying. Once you open the disk image, you're presented with the d2x-xl app, and yet another disk image that contains the SDL framework. The SDL disk image also has a devel-lite folder that contains some code (which normal users won't need), and a read me that has some technical information in it.

So when the download is described as a \"mess\", it just means that there are compressed files inside other compressed files and unnecessary things included in the download. Here's a diagram of the current structure:

( --**--> means that there's some waiting time for decompression or mounting. --> means it's just a folder.)

Here's how I would do it:

The download should be a single disk image (with a .dmg extension). (A zip file is acceptable as well, but a disk image would be better.) Inside the disk image, you would put the d2x-xl.app application package directly on the root level. You would also put the read me file for D2X-XL on the root level of the disk image. Then, there would be a folder called \"Support Files\", and inside SDL would be the Read Me file for SDL and the \"SDL.framework\" folder. (Ideally, this would be the non-developer version of the framework -- it seems you've included the developer version instead.)

Here's the proposed structure:

If you want to go nuts, you would include a spiffy background image for the disk image, and you could make the disk image internet-enabled so that it would automatically copy to the hard drive and put itself in the trash. You could even include a symbolic link to the /Library/Frameworks folder inside the \"Support Files\" folder, so that users could copy the SDL framework to the right location directly from the disk image. Much of this stuff would require access to a Mac, though. You may need someone to do this for you.

Does that clear up the issue?

-- simX