D2X-XL Q&A

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmmm.

You probably could add extra characters to the font some way or other if it doesn't already support extended ASCII (but I'm pretty sure it doesn't); however I have my doubts that Unicode characters like some of those would work very well without some rather bad font mangling.

Or an extension of the Descent 2 font to support Unicode, which would be ... yeah, a lot more effort. It'd be easier to swap it out in favour of a TrueType font...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Basically, the fonts are bitmaps. The bitmaps of all characters of a font are packed together in a big bitmap. D2(X(-XL)) does in no way access or use OS font information.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

deadzone

Post by flyhard »

BTW thx for the dual missiles fix mp! : )

Is there anyway I can set each axis (joystick deadzone) using a command line switch? something like -x joydeadzone 3, this would really help me out. Dont ask me why, its a long story lol

thx
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Why? :mrgreen:
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

deadzone

Post by flyhard »

haha

Its related to that deadspot. Seriously, is there such a command? I know you have a lot of secrets up your sleeve. :twisted:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There are no secrets. If it's not in the D2X-XL doc on my D2 site, it doesn't exist.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

deadzone

Post by flyhard »

actually there is one, -joydeadzone, does something. explain this one?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Geez, a forgotten switch! As the name suggests, you can enter a numerical value for the joystick deadzones, giving you finer control than the menu sliders.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

I use -joydeadzone 3 it works to some degree. If I dont use the switch, I get this big deadspot, even when I have all deadzones in menu at zero. Isn't that messed up or what. lol
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

Thats why I asked for a way to adjust each seperate deadzone axis via dx2.in : )
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hard to believe. I just checked that code, and it works, at least judged from the numbers used by the code.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Don't know if it's a bug, so i put this post here on questions.

Why i can't see the Use Light Maps checkbox on the Render Options menu? How can i activate Lightmaps then?

I have a eGeForce MX4000 video card, this video card doesn't support lightmaps or what's happening? :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If your gfx card doesn't support the required OpenGL features, you cannot use lightmaps.
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

Does anyone know if D2X-XL works with the shareware d2 datafiles? Having a freely distributable D2X-XL distribution would bring the game to a larger audience. Tracking down the orignal game files can be a bit of a challenge.

spud
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Lehm »

Pumo wrote:Don't know if it's a bug, so i put this post here on questions.

Why i can't see the Use Light Maps checkbox on the Render Options menu? How can i activate Lightmaps then?

I have a eGeForce MX4000 video card, this video card doesn't support lightmaps or what's happening? :?
Due to the number of passes that needed to be rendered. I believe it was 4 at the time. It made more sense to implement lightmapping as a pixel shader which Geforce 2's do not support. If I could have found a way to multitexture it in it would not have been a problem.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

so diedel, since there is code for deadzone via d2x.ini, is there a code for each axis? You still havent answered my question. Ive tried everything I could think of.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

flyhard,

There is no switch (yet) for each joystick axis.

spud,

D2X-XL does not work with the shareware data. I will eventually get it somewhere and try to fix that.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

I've taken all my D1 folder contents and put them into the D2 folder where D2X-XL resides. These D1 files include the 100 or so \"Levels of the World\" included in the Descent 1 & 2: The Definitive Collection. I have been playing the D1 campaign and everything works fine, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to start one of the LOTW levels.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

LOTW/ multiplayer lvls = missions folder?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X-XL only looks for mission files (levels) in the missions folder and any subfolders it has. You can create a folder missions/LOTW and put the levels there. D2X-XL's level browser allows you browse subdirectories of the missions folder, too.
Silencer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Silencer »

Thanks, everything works now. One more question. I like to use keys for pitch and yaw. Is there a switch to adjust the sensitivity of these keys, or the degree of turn one stroke makes? I looked in the switches section of the website but didn't see one.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Try keyboard ramping.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Moved:
bear wrote:I have been playing through the Descent1 missions
with D2X-xl v. 1.5.127 and in one of the levels
(level 26) some textures will flicker,turn black
or disappear. (This has only happened to me with
level 26, no other levels.)
My graphics card is a fx5700 and I am using the
v81.98 forceware drivers. Are there any graphics
settings I can use to eliminate this?

P4 2.8, 1gb ddr ram, fx5700 video,
WinXP sp2, Directx9.0c
bear
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by bear »

Diedel wrote:Moved:
bear wrote:I have been playing through the Descent1 missions
with D2X-xl v. 1.5.127 and in one of the levels
(level 26) some textures will flicker,turn black
or disappear. (This has only happened to me with
level 26, no other levels.)
My graphics card is a fx5700 and I am using the
v81.98 forceware drivers. Are there any graphics
settings I can use to eliminate this?

P4 2.8, 1gb ddr ram, fx5700 video,
WinXP sp2, Directx9.0c

Forget it
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

D2X-XL v1.5.142
I'm lost with this UDP/IP Tracker stuff. :roll:

I want to host a game through the tracker option, but when I select \"Start a UDP/IP Netgame via Tracker\".
I end up with a \"No trackers are available\". Ummm no kidding... I haven't even started one, let alone even looking for one! :P
Even if I was looking for one. I end up with the same message box.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X-XL looks for available trackers when you select that type of mp game mode. And if it doesn't find any, it tells you so and doesn't start that connection type.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Does D2X-XL differentiate between missions using the mission name listed in the msn file or the name *OF* the msn file?

Basically, I have some MSN files that have the same name, but different mission names listed inside. If I put these in separate subdirectories of the missions folder, should they load properly as separate missions?
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Seriously, I don't know. :mrgreen:

:lol:
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Every time I try to go online, I get an error telling me my version of Descent 2 doesn't match the one hosting the netgame. Is anyone else getting this?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Does it tell you the Descent 2 version doesn't match, or the level version doesn't match?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

What is a Multicast UDP/IP netgame and how does it differ from a normal UDP/IP netgame?
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Afaik multicast is a network mode where requests and replies are broadcasted through the entire network w/o naming any specific receiver. All network clients need to check such data whether it is determined for them. This is only suitable for LANs and a very convenient communcations method there as you do not need to keep track of those clients' IP addresses that actually connect to your application. I haven't checked whether this option works though.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Using a GeForce2 Ultra, I tried the lightmaps option once, and all it did was make the level go really ugly with lots of white textures all over the level. What exactly was it supposed to do? 0_o
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Blend transparent colored textures over the areas close to lights (supposedly) having some color.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

hello

Post by flyhard »

What causes d2 textures/objects to go fuzzy (out of focus)when turning the ship? It's also happening at very slow turning speed, and is more intense with horizontal movement. Its very noticable and i've tried 3 lcd monitors and upgraded to ati x850pro.
I've tried omega and ati drivers, nothing seems to affect this.

When using a regular crt monitor, I see \"object motion blur\", like traces when firing, focus is excellent but i get traces...so i dont think its the lcd monitor. hell i dont know what it is. oof!! Does anyone else have these problems?

help plz, thx
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I cannot observe this, but if you are using LCD monitors you will very likely experience blur in fast scene changes, unless you have a very fast switching TFT.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

blurr

Post by flyhard »

Well i've tried viewsonic 3ms response, and now im on samsung 8ms, but the samsung seems tad better. If you want a better picture of this, use smart shader in the ati tray tools set it to \"extreme blur\", if you stay still without turning the ship, that is the same effect as me turning without smart shader. Problem happens at very very slow turning speeds. Can you recomend a 17\" lcd if this is the case?

thx
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oops. Your TFT should be fast enough. As I said never observed this problem on a CRT (Sony Trinitron and two different Eizos).

A remote possibility would be that it's not your monitors, but your eyes. I had such effects when I was extremely exhausted and a little sick, up to the level of seeing only a big white blurry spot where the monitor image was.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

no, my wife sees it too, its very noticable staying still and turning slow. it doesnt make sense.

p4 2.4
directx 9.0c
p4p800 mb , newest bi

$25 to the one who can fix this. Im serious.

thx
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you happen to play around with the ATI smart shaders? You could try to uninstall and reinstall your gfx drivers.