D2X-XL Bug Reports - Mac OS X

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:
simX wrote:By the way, it seemed to be a model problem, not a texture problem.
That's what I was trying to tell you.
So did 1.6.122 fix the problem or not?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:
Shadowfury333 wrote:
simX wrote:By the way, it seemed to be a model problem, not a texture problem.
That's what I was trying to tell you.
So did 1.6.122 fix the problem or not?

Code: Select all

[MacMini:Descent II] shadowfury333% ./d2x-xl.app/Contents/MacOS/d2x-xl -macdata -fullscreen -sound22k -render_quality 3 -gl_alttexmerge 0 -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -use_shaders 1 -gl_rgba2_ok -gl_luminance4_alpha4_ok -gl_intensity4_ok -shortpackets -pps 10 -player SF333 -1280x960 -udp -hires_textures 1 -hires_models 1 -sdl_mixer 1 -mathformat 2
Segmentation fault
[MacMini:Descent II] shadowfury333% ./d2x-xl.app/Contents/MacOS/d2x-xl -macdata -fullscreen -sound22k -render_quality 3 -gl_alttexmerge 0 -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -use_shaders 1 -gl_rgba2_ok -gl_luminance4_alpha4_ok -gl_intensity4_ok -shortpackets -pps 10 -player SF333 -1280x960 -udp -hires_textures 1 -hires_models 1 -sdl_mixer 1 -mathformat 2
Segmentation fault
[MacMini:Descent II] shadowfury333% ./d2x-xl.app/Contents/MacOS/d2x-xl -macdata -fullscreen -sound22k -render_quality 3 -gl_alttexmerge 0 -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -use_shaders 1 -gl_rgba2_ok -gl_luminance4_alpha4_ok -gl_intensity4_ok -shortpackets -pps 10 -player SF333 -1280x960 -udp -hires_textures 1 -hires_models 
Bus error
[MacMini:Descent II] shadowfury333% ./d2x-xl.app/Contents/MacOS/d2x-xl -macdata -fullscreen -sound22k -render_quality 3 -gl_alttexmerge 0 -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -use_shaders 1 -gl_rgba2_ok -gl_luminance4_alpha4_ok -gl_intensity4_ok -shortpackets -pps 10 -player SF333 -1280x960 -udp -hires_textures 1 -hires_models 1
Bus error
does this answer your question?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:does this answer your question?
Hmm. Is this an Intel Mac-mini? Copying the switches you use seems to work on my iMac G5, so that might be the problem. (If you are on an Intel-Mac, could you try launching the program using Rosetta?)

Also did you test out version 1.6.121, or did you go straight from 1.6.109 to 1.6.122? If so, did 1.6.121 launch on your Mac?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:Hmm. Is this an Intel Mac-mini? Copying the switches you use seems to work on my iMac G5, so that might be the problem.
No, 1.42GHz G4
simX wrote:Also did you test out version 1.6.121, or did you go straight from 1.6.109 to 1.6.122? If so, did 1.6.121 launch on your Mac?
I went straight, I couldn't download 1.6.121 before it was replaced by 1.6.122.

EDIT: figured it out, I had Classic on.

EDIT2: nevermind, that didnt fix it this time.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:EDIT2: nevermind, that didnt fix it this time.
You didn't happen to leave the model textures in the textures folder, did you? It turns out (my mistake) that textures for models SHOULD go in the models folder rather than the textures folder. (Model textures have prefixes of "blpyro", "gx", "missile", "multi", and "ngr".)

The only other thing that I can think of that produces a bus error or segmentation fault like that is not having the D2X-XL data files in the proper location relative to the app. But I assume since 1.6.109 worked, that's not the case here.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:You didn't happen to leave the model textures in the textures folder, did you? It turns out (my mistake) that textures for models SHOULD go in the models folder rather than the textures folder. (Model textures have prefixes of "blpyro", "gx", "missile", "multi", and "ngr".)
That did the trick. Thanks.

However, I tried Glass house, and now when it starts up I hear a sound like my ship rubbing against the wall, but the sound is repeated about 20 times per second. Also, there's no picture. Speed does the same thung*, without sound, though.

On a positive note, The use of level-based custom textures, i.e. Unreal Arena, works flawlessly.

BTW I'm using a 32MB RADEON 9200, which lacks render2texture functionality, but usually replaces the r2tex surface with white.

*past tense of 'thing'
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:However, I tried Glass house, and now when it starts up I hear a sound like my ship rubbing against the wall, but the sound is repeated about 20 times per second. Also, there's no picture. Speed does the same thung*, without sound, though.
Hrm. Can you try a pristine player profile?
On a positive note, The use of level-based custom textures, i.e. Unreal Arena, works flawlessly.
That was one of the fixes. :) Oh, does the hi-res model work?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:Hrm. Can you try a pristine player profile?
Still doesn't work, although I have all of my switches still on, except for the -player SF333 one. However, I was able to indentify the sound as the startup sound, but the beginning bit is looping about 20 times per second.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:
simX wrote:Hrm. Can you try a pristine player profile?
Still doesn't work, although I have all of my switches still on, except for the -player SF333 one. However, I was able to indentify the sound as the startup sound, but the beginning bit is looping about 20 times per second.
One of the switches might be the problem. Diedel also might be of more help than I am on which switches to turn on/off to help the problem.

JSYK, the "-macdata" switch shouldn't be necessary anymore; the Mac data should be automatically detected.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:One of the switches might be the problem. Diedel also might be of more help than I am on which switches to turn on/off to help the problem.
Did you test Glass House with my switch config on your computer?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:Did you test Glass House with my switch config on your computer?
Yes, and it works fine. However, given that we have different graphics cards (I have a Radeon X600 XT with 128 MB of VRAM), it's possible that you need to turn on/off additional switches. Like I said, I'm not too knowledgeable about that.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have no idea why this doesn't work.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Everybody who's anybody needs to see this thread regarding D2X-XL on Mac OS X. (Re: network play)
rampancy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rampancy »

I just want to start off by saying that I thank Diedel and simX for all of their work.

Anyway, I've been using the 1.6.130 build and whenever I try to load a saved game in Descent 2 I get the black transparent walls bug mentioned here earlier. Is there something I could change in the .ini file or in the Rendering Options to somehow fix this?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

rampancy wrote:Anyway, I've been using the 1.6.130 build and whenever I try to load a saved game in Descent 2 I get the black transparent walls bug mentioned here earlier. Is there something I could change in the .ini file or in the Rendering Options to somehow fix this?
If I remember correctly, this is caused by the new way that textures are rendered in a relatively recent version, and thus has made any past saved games incompatible. You can sort of salvage your saved games, though, but you have to beat the level in its weird black walls state, and then loading the next level will proceed as normal with all the textures. I don't know how feasible that is, though.

I have a bunch of saved games myself that are rendered pretty unusable by this problem. :(
rampancy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rampancy »

simX wrote: If I remember correctly, this is caused by the new way that textures are rendered in a relatively recent version, and thus has made any past saved games incompatible. You can sort of salvage your saved games, though, but you have to beat the level in its weird black walls state, and then loading the next level will proceed as normal with all the textures. I don't know how feasible that is, though.
Trouble is, these are games I've saved in this same build; they're not saved game files from previous versions. And just for kicks I did try playing through the level, but the game crashed a few minutes later. Er, I can send you a crash log if you think it'll help.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Unfortunately, the PPC Mac and PC save games are incompatible, or I would ask you to send such a savegame to me. If simX cannot reproduce the problem, you might send one to him though, maybe it will reveal the bug.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Oh, hrm. I will test this problem out and report back.
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

Using 1.6.130, I got this unexpected crash when I went to the network screen using UDP/IP with a Tracker: http://idisk.mac.com/kendallp/Public/fi ... _error.txt
halprin
Another one bites the dust!
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

rampancy: OK, I can reproduce your problem -- the textures get messed up on saved games that were produced from the same build. Gah.

Peter: Yeah, I've experienced that a few times too. It doesn't happen all the time, though -- just restart the prog and it shouldn't do it the next time. I'll see if I can pin down that crash. By the way, crash logs don't help -- you'll need to launch d2x-xl with the \"-printlog\" and \"-debug\" switches, and then give us the resulting d2x.log file.

By the way, Peter, I think I saw you try to play a netgame tonight. If that was you, be sure to turn \"Improve UDP/IP Networking Quality\" off in the Miscellaneous options, because that causes problems with netplay.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The d2x.log doesn't help with such a crash, but it will tell us whether you had been using hires textures and whether D2X-XL could load its shader programs.

The save game stuff is in main/state.c::state_save_all_sub() and state_restore_all_sub().

I think I will introduce a new, hardware independant savegame format.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

I'll poke around in the code and see what I can find out about the save games problem. In the meantime, there are a bunch of things about netplay that need to get ironed out, chief of which seems to be hosting doesn't work on the Mac, autodownloading of course, and then a bunch of multiplayer issues that are platform independent (e.g.: flag items don't appear in the level even when playing in CTF mode, weapons often spawn multiple times in the same spot, vulcan/gauss gun often play the extra life sound while trying to pick them up if you already have them, HUD icons still don't appear for some players in network play, etc.). I'm keeping a list of the bugs that I encounter while playing netgames with the peeps at HLP, FWIW.
rampancy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rampancy »

Thanks, guys. If I wasn't a starving student I'd be glad to throw you guys some money. It's a pity that I am. :(

In the meantime, does simX still have older builds of the OS X versions around? I remember the 1.5.147 build worked very well for me.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

OK. Still some save game problems with the new format in 1.6.132, but older save game files do work (after a warning message). Makin' progress. 1.5.147, which was widely reported to be very stable, can be downloaded from the Downloads area of descent2.de .
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Where exactly in the code does the warning come from?

Edit:

simX and I managed to pin down the bugs in the new savegame format. One bug for him, one for me. Squish! :D

New source is up already, but I guess simX needs some well deserved sleep now, so you will have to wait a little for the 1.6.133 dmg. :)

The networking problems may have to do with the way a D2X-XL server tells the clients that it is a D2X-XL server: It sends a special data packet. If this doesn't arrive at a client, it assumes the server is not using D2X-XL and switches to compatibility mode, meaning all enhanced netgame features are unavailable.

Actually the server must be using D2X-XL when playing a UDP/IP netgame, but the data packet contains information about whether mouselook is permitted or not and stuff like that, so there is no other way to handle this.

I might try to have the serve send that data several times to make half-way sure it arrives at the destination.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Save games work in 1.6.134!

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:... but I guess simX needs some well deserved sleep now ...
Ugh, yes. Even I can't handle going to bed at 4 AM many nights in a row. :) The URL for the new .dmg for 1.6.134 has been sent to Diedel, so the ball is in his court now. Put it up! :)

I've tested the save game code on my PPC Mac, and everything works fine now in 1.6.134. You can save games, and restoring them works properly. As a bonus, when trying to load older save games that used to produce screwed up textures in the mine, you'll now just get a warning of corrupted save game data. But if you press OK past that dialog box, the save game will load correctly with correct textures. Yay!

EDIT: Oh, by the way Diedel, that smoke problem that you found when we were first getting Mac OS X network play to work is still present in the latest version (at least as of 1.6.132). I still leave little puffs of smoke around the level sometimes. Just another bug to make sure you're aware of. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Smoke problem in single or multiplayer?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:Smoke problem in single or multiplayer?
Multiplayer.

EDIT: It seems to happen when you fire a missile. When you fire one, and then move off, the smoke puffs from where you were when you shot the missile are still there. Then when you fire a new missile from the new position, the persistent smoke puffs now appear in your new location, and the old ones dissipate.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel: We should find some time to look into some of the networking problems we've been having in D2X-XL. Probably this weekend would be best, since during the week we are each at work when the other is free.

We tried playing a game of entropy today and it was a complete mess. Not sure what the deal was, but the ownership of the rooms couldn't easily be identified (they all appeared with red lighting but no goal textured walls, but the textured walls to indicate ownership only appeared at the very end when red had won), viruses still looked like white boxes sometimes instead of green orbs, repair bays didn't repair some people, and some people didn't get damaged in opponents rooms when they should have. (This is in addition to some of the other network problems, like kill counts getting out of sync between players, multiple powerups spawning in one spot, HUD icons not always appearing, etc.)

Perhaps this is due to some flaw in the way the Mac version sends the extra game packets? The peeps from HLP have said they've successfully played a game of entropy before.

I'd also like to get Mac hosting up and working, so that I can set up a dedicated Descent server on my computer at work, since it has a great network connection and is always on and connected to the internet.
rampancy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by rampancy »

I've been playing through the game with the latest OS X build and it works fabulously - once again, thanks for fixing the saved game bug!

I don't think this is a bug, but I've tried using the hi-res textures linked on the d2x downloads section on the front page, and they don't seem to work - I have them in a folder named \"Textures\" in the Data folder.

Also, I have a custom menu screen in my Data folder, but it doesn't seem to show up either - all of the graphics files are .tga's and my .ini file seems to have all of the switch options set.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

simX,

Entropy rooms only get re-textured if you chose that option; otherwise this only happens when one team has won.

rampancy,

please ask simX where to put the textures on a Mac. On the PC, they should not reside inside the data folder, but the textures folder should be on the same level as the data folder. I don't know however whether you are talking about a general Mac data folder, or about the specific D2X-XL data folder I have described in the installation guidelines.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

rampancy wrote:I don't think this is a bug, but I've tried using the hi-res textures linked on the d2x downloads section on the front page, and they don't seem to work - I have them in a folder named "Textures" in the Data folder.
It should work

Here's my folder structure (slightly simplified for easier viewing)
Terminal wrote: ./:
Data/
SF333.plr
Missions/
Movies/
d2xtracker.pl
d2x-xl.app/

./Data:
DESCENT2.S22
descent.hi
ice.pig
water.pig
alien1.pig
descent.tex
models/
DESCENT2.HAM
alien2.pig
fire.pig
DESCENT2.HOG
d2x-xl.hog
groupa.pig
sF333.plr
DESCENT2.S11
hoard.ham
textures/

./Data/textures:
[Contains the textures]

./Movies:
intro.mvl
other.mvl
robots.mvl
BTW at the end I have the movie files as they are named on the Mac.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It should be ./Textures and not ./Data/Textures.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Actually, I've been storing mine in ./Data/Textures as well, and that works.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If the shader programs cannot be loaded by D2X-XL, hires textures won't work. Check the log file (run with -printlog).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Btw, here's an image of the hires pyro as it should look:

Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Yep that's how mine looks since 1.6.130.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's another bug: demos created while playing multiplayer games do not show opposing ships, powerups, or weapons in the demo. You can see yourself flying around the level, and you can hear the shots of other ships and you can hear yourself and other ships pick up powerups, but the other ships/powerups/weapons don't appear visually. (This has been confirmed to be a bug in the Windows version as well.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Feel free to fix this, now that you are a gdb expert. ;)
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:Feel free to fix this, now that you are a gdb expert. ;)
Gah. :P