Mouselook in D2X-XL - pros and cons

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

Just wanted to chime in here and say that there are a growing number of people who play on D2 multiplayer on Kali using D2X-XL, myself included. I can tell d2x-xl clients because they show the \"TYPING...\" text above their ship when they hit F8. I was in a 4 player game recently where EVERYONE was using XL.

Having listened to to a lot of abrasive anti-D2X-XL rants on Kali (by people who actually play the game unlike Ferno) I know that the overwhelming opinion of players is that using mouselook is the same as using an ORB or hacking your HAM file to increase your turn speed -- a hack.

spud
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Mouselook is now configurable by the game host.
Mouselook is disabled if the game host doesn't use D2X-XL.

Have a non-D2X-XL user host the game, or have the game host disable mouselook.

You cannot manipulate turn speed by hacking ham files with D2X-XL. D2X-XL limits it internally by measuring the time. All people can do is get the source code, modify it, and play with the modified program.

That should put an end to all discussions.
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

hi guys...
I think both mouselook and non-mouselook are bugged.

Non-mouselook:
slower than keyboard
you can't aim straight
Mouselook:
there is no maximum speed for looking around which makes your ship spin like crazy when u move the mouse a bit more

Diedel, it would be ideal, if you remove the old mouse handling code entirely, becouse the game is unplayable with it. Then make the maximum looking speed the same as it is for the keyboard/stick when mouselook is turned off. This way everyone gets the new improved code and people still can decide if they want the crazy-spinning-mouselook (like for fun or something) or the classic mouselook with max speed.

Just my 2c. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Peterix,

this is complete nonsense, and apparently you have no clue what you are talking about.

My $0.02.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

lol spud.

you know I'd play d2 if I could. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's not enough, Ferno.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:I think you stick players are sorry for seeing the advantage you had vanish.
You know, I realize english isn't your primary language, but you obviously ignored a certain post in this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=156283#156283

Advantage my ass. :roll: You're just tired of fighting off all that rust, so you want a way you can cheat.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

mouselook + Descent 1,2 or 3 = bad idea.

Mouselook was made for FPS, not Descent type games.

Pure and simple it's unethical. Mouselook gives unfair advantage.

Kinda like the issues I currently have playing Flatout online. Some people have MODs that give them fatter tires, bigger engines etc and don't think it's unfair they use it against people who only have the stock game.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

er ... the hell, some of the \"facts\" here are way up the creek.

I play with mouse and joystick approximately equally. I'm better with the joystick, mainly because it's harder to get \"stuck\" in a bad position with it, if you know what I mean...

But the mouse control was not unusable before. D1x 1.43 actually has killer mouse control; D2X-XL pretty much had the same thing (even pre-mouselook).

I didn't see a great need to introduce mouselook myself. Perhaps the deal with the mouse being a slight disadvantage matters, but I'm not convinced it matters THAT much...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:I have added a server side mouselook option to v1.5.121.

I think I hate you now. :evil: :P
=)
Diedel wrote:I haven't played Descent multiplayer for many months now. In D3, I get devastated by the MD experts (are there any non-MD experts left out there?) and I don't like it anyway.
It could be your config. You have to make sure you set up your config so you can do every possible maneuver. Lots of those "MD Experts" are mouse users on flight sim configs. Sometimes, when I'm using the joystick and I'm doing very well with MD, people ask me if I'm a mouse user. ;)
Diedel wrote:In D2, I hardly find someone to play with me, at least when I have time (11 pm or later).
11pm in what time zone? CET?
Diedel wrote:I played a lot D2 earlier (when it was new, I played it for hours every day). So I have a lot of mp experience as mouser, and I find it hard to believe that you can achieve a maneuvering skill that comes close to that of an experienced joystick player with the mouse.
I will show you. You will be amazed.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

11 pm GMT+1 (DST during summer).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

That's 4:00pm CST (my time zone).

Every day at 4:00pm CST starting tomorrow I will host a game on the tracker for 2 hours.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

MD2389,

criticizing my language and lack of attention to important posts, but failing to read this and, regarding my 'cheating', this?

I can well take criticism. You however completely fail to understand the nature of a discussion pitting opposing views against each other. Actually you cannot stand me having an opinion you don't like, and obviously you don't care about any counter arguments to your opinion.

Everything has been said about this topic, and this thread is getting a little out of hand.