Mac D2X-XL using PC D2 files problem

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Mac D2X-XL using PC D2 files problem

Post by BossHossV8Cycles »

(I don't know if there's already a thread or post that addresses this issue a little further. I did find a post that mentioned it but it didn't seem to help much. However, if there is one that goes into more detail, please direct me to it.)

Is it possible to run D2X-XL for OSX using my PC version disc? If so, exactly what files do I need to put in the data folder? Do I use everything in the /Volumes/DESCENT_II/D2DATA/ folder, or /Volumes/DESCENT_II/D2DATA/ZERO/ folder? Or just specific files?

I tried putting everything that was in the D2DATA folder into \"data,\" tried just putting the stuff from the ZERO folder into \"data,\" also tried dropping the caps in each file. I also tried making \"movies,\" \"config,\" etc. folders and attempted to place the files in their respective folders. Every time the window would pop up, then instantly terminate the program. I'm assuming it's because it's not detecting the files it needs.

Should I be using a different method of installing d2x-xl on my computer?

It'd be great to finally run this, since I took the opportunity to buy The Diffinitive Collection for pc when browsing around on Ebay, despite that I only have a mac.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The installation instructions on my D2 site address this.
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I tried looking around a bit, and I can only assume you're talking about http://www.descent2.de/d2x-install.html please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
I don't really see any section on the that site that addresses this issue. Unless it's the section under \"Folders\" that you're talking about. If that's so, then I have attempted to places such files in the folders it states. However, it states files that I don't have... like .256 and .cfg. And the files it lists for the \"data\" folder only lists 3 file types, .pig, .hog, and .256 then says \"etc.\" Does \"etc\" include .mve, .mn2, .bat, .dll, .386, .lst, .sow, .s11, .s22, .ham, .id, and .exe? (I know exe is a windows executable file, but I guess I might as well ask just in case.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oops. The .256 files are included in my Linux and Windows packages, but obviously not in the OS X package. You can grab the Win32 package and extract the missing files from there. 'etc.' is all files that aren't mentioned together with the other folders. I thought that would be easy enough to figure.

Please run d2x-xl -debug-printlog. It should create a file named 'd2x.log' in the application folder (if not, please make a disk search for it). Please post the contents of that file here.

Edit:

I have expanded the installation guide by a list of files and where they should go to.
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I retried organising my files into their respective folders, but it still hasn't worked.

I'm beginning to think that I may have different types of files with my version of Descent 2. I don't have .vert, .frag, .cfg, .pti, .sng, .sol, .txb, .wlf, or .rdl.
Should I also copy/paste the contents of my Descent 2 disc?

here's the d2x.log file contents...

GetAppFolder ('', '', '/Applications/Games/D2X-XL', '')
GetAppFolder (/Applications/Games/D2X-XL) = '' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('', '', '/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl', '')
GetAppFolder (/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl) = '' (-1)
expected data root folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data'
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '', 'Data', 'descent2.hog')
GetAppFolder (Data) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
expected game app folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL'
expected game data folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data'
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Profiles', '*plr')
GetAppFolder (Profiles) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Movies', '*.mvl')
GetAppFolder (Movies) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Savegames', '')
GetAppFolder (Savegames) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Screenshots', '')
GetAppFolder (Screenshots) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL', 'Config', '*.cfg')
GetAppFolder (Config) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/descent.tex
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.tex' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.tex
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/descent.txb
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.txb' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.txb
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/missions/d2x.hog
cfile_find_libfile(): 'd2x.hog' not found
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/descent.cfg
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.cfg' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.cfg
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font1-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font1-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font1-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-2.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-2.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-2.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-3.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-3.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-3.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font3-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font3-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font3-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font1-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font1-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font1-1h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-1h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-2h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-2h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-2h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-3h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-3h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-3h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font3-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font3-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font3-1h.fnt
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have listed a few files you don't need. I will fix the page.

Do you have /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/descent2.hog?
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Yeah, I have descent2.hog.

I have a few questions, I noticed you said to ignore the files you listed if I don't have it, but how about the whole list of files that I do have in my data folder on the disc? The ones you listed are all in my /Volumes/DESCENT_II/D2DATA/ZERO folder, and a few more that weren't listed... but how about the other files in the /Volumes/DESCENT_II/D2DATA/ directory? Do I also include those as well? If so, do I just lump all of the files in D2DATA and D2DATA/ZERO in the same /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/ directory, or create the subdirectory /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/zero/ ?

I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself by asking... I've just been a little confused about that from the beginning.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can either put all Descent data in the descent folder, or split it up in the various sub folders listed in the installation instructions (which I have just updated btw, so you can take another look at the file list there).
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I'm still getting errors after doing both methods.

Here's an 'ls -R' of my D2X-XL folder...

.DS_Store,
sdl.dll*,
sdl_mixer.dll*,
config/,
d2x-xl.app/,
d2x.log, data/,
missions/,
movies/,
profiles/,
savedgames/

./config:
.DS_Store,
d2x.ini*,
descentg.ini*,
eregcard.ini*

./data:
.DS_Store,
alien1.256*,
alien2.256*,
credits.256*,
default.256*,
fire.256*,
ice.256*,
palette.256*,
water.256*,
alien1.pig*,
alien2.pig*,
ben-h.mve*,
cambot.hxm*,
d2.bat*,
d2icons.dll*,
descent2.dem*,
descent2.exe*,
descent2.ham*,
descent2.hog*,
descent2.s11*,
descent2.s22*,
descent2.sow*,
descentw.exe*,
descentw.ico*,
disk1.id*,
endnote.txt*,
eregcard.exe*,
ereglib.dll*,
eregreg2.dll*,
fire.pig*,
groupa.256*,
groupa.pig*,
hmidet.386*,
hmidrv.386*,
hmimdrv.386*,
ice.pig*,
iforce.dll*,
modem.lst*,
orderfrm.txt*,
pcxview.exe*,
readme.txt*,
readmew.doc*,
regcard.exe*,
setup.exe*,
sos32s03.dll*,
sos9503.dll*,
soslib3.dll*,
water.pig*,
wmvetest.exe*

./missions:
.DS_Store,
d2-2plyr.hog*,
d2-2plyr.mn2*,
d2chaos.hog*,
d2chaos.mn2*

./movies:
.DS_Store,
intro-h.mvl*,
intro-l.mvl*,
other-h.mvl*,
other-l.mvl*,
robots-h.mvl*,
robots-l.mvl*

./profiles:

./savedgames:

I tried putting all of the files you mentioned in their folders... is there anything I'm doing wrong here?

here's my log file after that setup...

cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/d2x.ini
cfile_find_libfile(): '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/d2x.ini' not found
cfopen(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/d2x.ini
GetAppFolder ('', '', '/Applications/Games/D2X-XL', '')
GetAppFolder (/Applications/Games/D2X-XL) = '' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('', '', '/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl', '')
GetAppFolder (/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl) = '' (-1)
expected data root folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data'
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '', 'Data', 'descent2.hog')
GetAppFolder (Data) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
expected game app folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL'
expected game data folder = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data'
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Profiles', '*plr')
GetAppFolder (Profiles) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Movies', '*.mvl')
GetAppFolder (Movies) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Savegames', '')
GetAppFolder (Savegames) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', 'Screenshots', '')
GetAppFolder (Screenshots) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
GetAppFolder ('/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data', '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL', 'Config', '*.cfg')
GetAppFolder (Config) = '/Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data' (-1)
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/descent.tex
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.tex' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.tex
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/descent.txb
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.txb' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.txb
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/missions/d2x.hog
cfile_find_libfile(): 'd2x.hog' not found
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/descent.cfg
cfile_find_libfile(): 'descent.cfg' not found
cfopen(): error opening descent.cfg
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font1-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font1-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font1-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-2.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-2.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-2.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-3.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-3.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-3.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font3-1.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font3-1.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font3-1.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font1-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font1-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font1-1h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-1h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-2h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-2h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-2h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font2-3h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font2-3h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font2-3h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/font3-1h.fnt
cfile_find_libfile(): 'font3-1h.fnt' not found
cfopen(): error opening font3-1h.fnt
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/intro-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'intro-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening intro-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.intro-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.intro-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .intro-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/intro-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'intro-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening intro-l.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.intro-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.intro-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .intro-l.mvl
Cannot open any movie file <intro-*.mvl>Cannot open any movie file <intro-*.mvl>
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/other-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'other-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening other-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.other-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.other-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .other-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/other-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'other-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening other-l.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.other-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.other-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .other-l.mvl
Cannot open any movie file <other-*.mvl>Cannot open any movie file <other-*.mvl>
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/robots-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'robots-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening robots-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.robots-h.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.robots-h.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .robots-h.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/robots-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): 'robots-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening robots-l.mvl
cfile_get_filehandle(): error opening /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/data/.robots-l.mvl
cfile_find_libfile(): '.robots-l.mvl' not found
cfopen(): error opening .robots-l.mvl
Cannot open any movie file <robots-*.mvl>Cannot open any movie file <robots-*.mvl>

I notice that my movie files can't be detected anymore, or something, as well as my d2x.ini. I tried relocating the ini back into the D2X home folder. I also tried moving the .mvl's back into the data folder. Of course, I'd get different errors in my log each time...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Where is the application?

Btw, all exes belong into the main folder (not that you would need any besides d2x-xl).
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

The application is in the main folder, /Users/daskitten/Documents/Games/D2X-XL/, d2x-xl.app. It's fifth down on the first list of files.

I just moved all my exes to the main folder.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention before... what about these folders on my D2 disc?
/Volumes/DESCENT_II/VERITE/
/Volumes/DESCENT_II/CONTROLS/
/Volumes/DESCENT_II/D2VOODOO/
/Volumes/DESCENT_II/WINSETUP/
/Volumes/DESCENT_II/AUTORUN/

Previously, I didn't put the files that reside in those folders anywhere in my d2x-xl folder. Just a few moments ago I tried, it still isn't running.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You don't need that stuff from your CD.
BossHossV8Cycles
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Oh, well, even without them I still get the same errors. Other than the placement of the exe files, is there anything else I'm doing wrong?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please read your PM.