New D2X-XL Launcher and configuration tool planning

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Development language for 'Prepare for Descent' D2X-XL Launcher

Poll ended at Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 pm

Visual Basic .NET 2005 (Better features, cooler looking)
44%
Visual Basic 6.0 (More compatible, smaller file)
56%

Total votes: 9
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

D3Phoenix,

Look's great! I want one :)
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Eww...I'm with Deidel. Where's the pure C++ option so it can be ported to other platforms? I'm sure the Linux fellows like myself would like a nice Launcher too. C++ is easier than VB by a wide margin anyway. ;)

However, nice idea and good job! Now just to get some more commandline handles for you to tie options to. ..hinthint..
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Phoenix »

Koolbear!! I'm honored 8) lol
Valin Halcyon wrote:C++ is easier than VB by a wide margin anyway. ;)
Not when you have used VB for as long as I have. Converting is difficult -- right now I am taking a java class, and yes -- higher level languages are better in many ways, but I wouldn't say easier. VB is the ultimate of lazy coding languages :P

C++ WOULD be nice, particularly since .NET is giving me crap about creating a standalone EXE. And there seems to be NO WAY of alleviating the dependency on .NET 2.0.

I am pretty much done, and I have implemented just about every option D2X supports that is not obsolete, and there is a space to put in any others that you may need (similar to the D3 launcher commandline box)

I am considering... *grumble* moving everything off to VB6 in order to get my simple standalone EXE that I want (I REFUSE to force people to 'install' this -- i want it to be able to be copied by folder and run from CD if need be.) -- I had considered Java, but then there is once again the issue of making it standalone without the JRE...

So, if anybody wants to hop on AIM or MSN and help me out with C++ when need be, I'd be happy to move it over. Any reccomendations for good sites for intermediate to advanced programmers wanting switch to C?? -- I know all the fundamentals of OOP, I just need to learn the 'syntactical dialect' of the language, since all programming languages operate on the same principles when you take them apart.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

D3Pheonix,

Did you get your Email? I sent yesterday?
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Nope... retry -- it's D3Phoenix on just a plain old hotmail.com account. (thinking of which, i haven't gotten ANYTHING on that account in a while... hrmm...)

Edit: AHH! How DARE they!?!? Apparently \"DescentBB.net\" is a spam-blocked domain.... GRRR. *fixes*
Reading email....
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Just to let everyone know, my little project is not dead, and no, I have not fallen off the face of the planet :P

I've had several college/scholarship essays come up and I'm rapidly approaching finals, so everything else (especially gaming and programming) has been put on hold. Hopefully I'll be back in active discussion on these forums soon; see you all then.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Good luck and see ya. :)
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Ooooooh guuuyyyys......

I'M BACK!!

.... And the D2X launcher is certifiably functional on my machine. It's compiled and ready for beta testers. (Only 9X/NT/2K/XP supported at the moment, as it was made in VB6. Chances are that it will run under WINE on linux, though, and I have absolutely no clue about macs)

Anybody care to host the beta for a bit? Later I'll need hosting for the final release as well.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

This may've been covered and it may be too late. Anyway, what if you were able to switch between multiple .ini files (for the switches). I can't really think up a really good reason for this, but maybe if multiple pilots use the same computer, then they can have seperate .ini files.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Actually, The way I have it designed, it always writes the settings before launching to .\\d2x.ini -- where '.' of course is the launcher's exe folder. This way, you can keep the launcher in the root of the d2x-xl folder and have the settings made default, OR you can keep the launcher in its own folder and it will automatically tell d2x to ignore the d2x.ini in the d2 folder, and instead point it to the copy it just wrote.

Of course, you also have the option of just copying one from the launcher folder when you want it made default...

Also, note that multiple profiles are supported, easily switchable by selecting a drop down box.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please send the launcher to karx11erx at gmail dot com.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Will do 8)

Just realized a minor problem... you can type in the combo box where the profile names are, and it seriously messes with the profiles.ini file... I'll have to bugfix it this afternoon before I send it to ya. Apparently there are still a few minor glitches that I have yet to fix. Ah, well. It's still in beta, after all.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Hey! Cool! I can't wait for the realise!