cold install

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

jonbrewster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

cold install

Post by jonbrewster »

Hi Folks,

I'm a long time Descent player with an entire family who has loved the game (even my wife). But, its been years since I ran D1 or D2, and I just found the D2X-XL stuff.

I have read the install instructions for the current D2X-XL downloads. The instructions assume you have a working D2 installation on the XP box as a starting point.

1st issue: is it safe to install D2 from the original disk onto a modern XP SP2 system? Does that install spray system files about? Will I clobber my clean XP box with this old installer?

2nd question: in order to get D1 to work, one copies D1 files into the appropriate directories. This means I install D1 to extract the files. Is that installer safe on a modern XP SP2 system?

To both issues: should I just install D1 and D2 on a crash and burn system and just copy the files onto my desired box? Or are there important files outside the install directory such that this form of copy is going to fail?

In short, I'm doing a cold install of everthing onto a clean XP SP2 box. Whats the prefered order of operations?

Thanks in advance.

Jon Brewster
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Yes, the Win95 Installer CAN Cause problems on Windows XP... As I know from experience. It usually simply refuses to run saying something about 'needing windows 95 or higher' :P

INSTEAD, Here is the best option:

The good 'ol command prompt. The DOS VERSION Installer just copies the DOS version and the data files to a single directory that you specify. In all acutality, you don't even need the game's EXEs, DLLs, or anything else executable. D2X-XL replaces all of this and just needs the data files.

The precise outline is below for those who are not so proficient in DOS:

TO PERFORM FRESH D2 INSTALL ON WINDOWS XP:
1 - Insert D2 Disc. I will assume that E: is the CDROM.

2 - Start-->Run; Type \"CMD\" in the box to launch the command prompt.

3 - In the new window, type \"E:\" and hit <Enter>

4 - Type \"Install\"; the DOS version installer will run.

5 - Say YES to install ONLY the DOS version.

6 - Let the movie test run, and make sure that High-res movies are enabled even if it reccomends low res movies. (I have known it to do this, I think XP or something on my system interferes with its rendering and makes it drop about 20% of the movie... The movies run FINE in high res once I start D2X-XL.

7 - Choose CRAZY INSTALL -- We want EVERYTHING copied so that we can run without the CD.

8 - The installer will ask for a Drive letter and a path to install to; Since the dos installer will not allow folder names longer than 8 characters without doing some funky \"~1\" stuff, let's make it simple and tell it to install to C Drive, in the folder \\D2. You can always rename / move / copy this folder anywhere you want later after the install.

9 - Make sure to download the Descent 2 v 1.2 patch and run that on your new installation so that D2X will work with the data files.

(Or you can run the DOS installer for the Vertigo series, this will also update the D2 files to version 1.2 -- The procedure to do this is the same as installing the DOS D2, except it shows no movie test or install level option)

Hope that helps. Once that's done, just go to diedel's site to see the full installation instructions for D2X-XL. Be sure to report bugs and such on the appropriate thread here at DBB, and also make sure to check back often for D2X-XL updates.
jonbrewster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by jonbrewster »

Excellent. Thanks much. Very clean.

How about D1? Is its Dos installer equally benign in a DOS window? I'm understanding that I'll be able to run the original D1 mission in D2X-XL also, but I need to install it to extract its files.

Jon
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yes, the DOS install program of D1 is as safe as the one of D2.
In fact, every normal install of any old DOS game is safe on Win XP.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

I should also note that D2X-XL requires all filenames to be in lowercase, yet the D1/D2 installer creates them in uppercase

I will be adding a tool to my XL-Updater that will do this for you, but for now, you can use this:

http://www.cerebralsynergy.com/download.php?view.55
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Pumo is 100% correct, Any dos game can be installed on a WXP system -- this is because DOS programs store their settings usually in config files or ini files in the main program folder. There was no \"system32\" folder or \"registry\" under DOS.

Addendum: Once the installers run, they might start the DOS \"setup\" programs to configure sound and such... JUST EXIT. The CFGs are unnecessary for D2X-XL, and will probably not even be able to properly detect hardware.

@Kirby: What's this about all filenames in lower case? Mine aren't.... wonder if that could be the source of some of my troubles loading certain levels and demos, or seeing smoke.... Can you please clarify?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

If your going to give out instructions on Descent 2 installations..... give the person the correct information the first time. :P not a backward hackjob way to barely get it working :idea:

( Posted Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 am )
As long as you follow some simple steps with your install of d2 on XP (this has nothing to do with d2x-XL itself)

NOTE: Autolaunch will crash so dont even attempt it..

--------------------------------------
Installation on XP

Make sure the CD is in the Master Optical Drive that is configured in your Bios as Boot CDRom, if it was enabled (does not matter if it on or off as long as it is that drive) otherwise you will get the CD required error when you install or if you have cd 2 for vertigo in NTVDM mode (cmd.com)

D2 CD : right click setup for D2 windows, select properties, Run in 98 Compatiblity Mode now run setup from CD

(In case you folks didnt know this is the correct way of setting up a game in XP that was not coded specifically for Windows NT systems
{Games like d1/d2 are DOS/DOS-Win95} now d3 is NT comptible so install for that game is just autolaunch)

D2 CD 2 (if you have it) run/cmd install ver 1.2 (vertigo)

Now back to the D2 folder, right click on all your exe's make sure after 1.2 install they are all still in win98 Compat Mode.
(all your exe's should match the same Compatability Mode in your d2 folder to be successful with any additional programs like KALI

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

BUBBALOU wrote:NOTE: Autolaunch will crash so dont even attempt it..
Really? Thats funny.
I have WinXP Pro.
I've never had a crash from a fresh install using the autolaunch from the D2 CD - Vertigo or the Definitive collection. :)

Even after I reformatted my Hard Drive last week there was no crash from the autolaunch. :wink:

Anyways.. The rest is fair enough. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Kirby wrote:I should also note that D2X-XL requires all filenames to be in lowercase, yet the D1/D2 installer creates them in uppercase
On MS Windows, filenames are not case sensitive. Lowercase filenames are only required on Linux and OS X.

A simple way to install Descent 2 on WinXP is to use the DOS installer in a DOS box and abort it after it has copied the files to disk, when it tells you to press a key to proceed to configuring the game (just close the DOS box). Chose a 'crazy' install to put all the movie files on your HD. This will require about 300 MB HD space.

Copy D2X-XL and its files into your new Descent 2 folder and launch it. That's it.

To find out which files are really needed to play Descent 1/2 with D2X-XL, check my D2X-XL installation guide.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

seriously????

That's odd....D2X-XL, for me, wouldn't start up until I ran one of those rename programs.

could have been file permissions too :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Now that's odd. :?
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

BUBBALOU wrote:If your going to give out instructions on Descent 2 installations..... give the person the correct information the first time. :P not a backward hackjob way to barely get it working :idea:
Backward Hackjob :? Funny, that is EXACTLY how I refer to making use of the compatability modes in XP... :P

I am quite aware that there is a way to MAKE the Windows 95 version work with XP, but jonbrewster was clearly trying to avoid "spraying system files about" and he also had no stipulations that the original D2 had to be usable. Therefore, the logical choice is to use the DOS method in order to get at the D2 datafiles (and possibly D1 and Vertigo) -- the only thing(s) required for D2X-XL.

Don't say that I failed to give "correct information" when I DID, in fact, give a perfectly acceptable answer -- It might not be YOUR preferred way of doing it, but that does not mean that my way is wrong. I just gave what I thought would the best answer for the given situation.
jonbrewster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by jonbrewster »

Great stuff guys. So now I have pristine D1 and D2 directories. The D2X-XL install instructions leave me a few questions:

1) The file locations table does not list the locations of all the files in the d2x-xl-w32-1.5.176.zip file:

d2xtracker.pl
d2x-w32.ico
d2x-xl.hog
descent.tex.eng
descent.tex.ger

Where do they go if I wish to use the detailed directory structures?

2) There is one file name that is duplicated in the D1 and D2 directories (descentg.ini). But is has different contents. Do I need it?

3) lastly. (This may be answered somewhere, sorry). Are the old D1 *.plr files still valid? (the last date stamps are 2001 :-)

Jon
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

1) Everything but d2x-xl.hog can stay in the main folder. Make sure to move d2x-xl.hog to the DATA folder so that the HUD icons and smoke work.... (yes I figured out my smoke problem, diedel... :oops:)

2) Move both of them to a backup folder somewhere and find out :P -- I just left them where they were. I have a strong feeling that they aren't needed.

3) Not afaik, They *might* be upgraded by d2x-xl, but I'm not sure. I think the best route, just to be safe, is to make a new profile from scratch. It doesn't take too long to do and gives you a nice fresh start, and a chance to configure the plethora of new options inherent in D2X-XL.
jonbrewster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by jonbrewster »

All done. Looks perfect....

drum roll....

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

This seems still part of the cold install thread so I'll keep this here rather than moving it to the windows area. I've tried this on 2 different XP SP2 boxes (different graphics, one AMD, one intel)

Thoughts?

Jon
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Check if your graphics hardware acceleration is at maximum in your display properties. You will need a OpenGL 3D video card for D2X-XL to run.

And also, check the files are in correct order.
Here is the file structure that works for me:

MAIN D2 FOLDER:
D2X-XL.EXE
SDL.DLL
SDL_Mixer.DLL

\"CONFIG\" FOLDER:
D2X.INI
DESCENT.CFG (it doesn't works without this, even if it is not really needed)

\"DATA\" FOLDER:
DESCENT2.HOG
D2X-XL.HOG
ALIEN1.PIG
ALIEN2.PIG
FIRE.PIG
GROUPA.PIG
ICE.PIG
WATER.PIG
DESCENT2.HAM
DESCENT2.S11
DESCENT2.S22
MENUBG.TGA (if available)

\"MOVIES\" FOLDER:
INTRO-L.MVL
INTRO-H.MVL
OTHER-L.MVL
OTHER-H.MVL
ROBOT-L.MVL
ROBOT-H.MVL

\"PROFILES\" FOLDER:
All your pilot profiles

\"SAVEGAMES\" FOLDER:
All pilot savegames

\"SCREENSHOTS\" FOLDER:
Directory needed for screenshots

DEMOS and MISSIONS folder is the same as before.
jonbrewster
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by jonbrewster »

That's it!

The installation instructions made it look to me as if I needed to creat a sub directory called \"Descent 2\". I copied that stuff up a level as the last msg suggests is correct. Bingo. Classic sounds and action.

Thanks tons for the great help and SW.

Now its time to get these guys.

Jon
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Glad its finally working.

D2x_XL_UserCount++;

:P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

D3Phoenix wrote:Glad its finally working.

D2x_XL_UserCount++;

:P
D2X_XL::m_nUsers++; :P