Sidewinder 3D Pro Z-Axis not recognized

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Eskar
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Sidewinder 3D Pro Z-Axis not recognized

Post by Eskar »

I apologize if this was brought forward in the past - I searched these forums and couldn't find anyone detailing the same problem that I have.

I use the 3D Pro and did a fresh install of Descent 2. It's also the latest version. I installed D2X-XL and everything seems to run fine except that I cannot use the twist feature, the Z-axis, in the game. It simply doesn't recognize the axis at all so I cannot configure it for banking.

In the control pannel, the game controller is set as a Thrustmaster Flight Control System because Windows XP will not recognize my 3D pro as being connected. However, all the functions appear to work fine in Windows. Moreover, I play D1X and the joystick works like a charm. It's only when I load up D2X-XL that the twist feature is mysteriously disabled.

I should note that if I just run Descent II Win normally the axis is recognized. However, I am of course sacrificing the plethora of perks that come with D2X-XL.

I've tried everything I could think of - changing resolutions, changing versions, trying different D2X software, different game controller profiles, windowed mode vs fullscreen, different player profiles (some with predefined settings), etc. Nothing works. It simply will not recognize the twist at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm glad to see that the Descent community is still alive - I was blown away when I came across the D2X website and these forums. I didn't expect the community to be so strong. I just installed Descent on a whim yesterday to play it again for the first time in years. After playing five minutes of Descent 1, I now remember why I used to, and now still do, call Descent the best game I've ever played.

Computer Software/Hardware Information:
Windows XP Pro
Onboard Audio - CMedia
GeForce 4 4200ti
1gig Ram - PC2700
Sidewinder 3D pro, gameport
Chaintech 7VJL motherboard

Not sure what else is relevant.

Thanks,
-Esk
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Read the announcements and repost in proper thread.