Pitch and Yaw very slow with SpaceOrb

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

scott
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Pitch and Yaw very slow with SpaceOrb

Post by scott »

I am having trouble getting my SpaceOrb to work correctly. All of the axis seem to work correctly, except that the pitch (nose up/down) and yaw (nose left/right) are *very* slow, much slower than the other 4 degrees-of-freedom. When I go to turn it feels like I am trying to turn a battleship.

I also have noticed that when I stop turning my ship continues to turn even though I have stopped, and if I move to rotate the opposite direction to get the drift to stop then it drifts in the new direction. I cannot get it to come to a complete halt. I noticed that there was a bug-fix for this problem (if it is the same problem) for version 1.4.0.

I am running version 1.5.178 (just downloaded tonight) on Windows 98. The drivers for my SpaceOrb are for Windows 98.

My SpaceOrb works flawlessly in Descent and Descent2. (It has some trouble in D3, but that is irrelevant here.)

I would *love* to use D2X-XL, but it is un-usable as it is.

Scott
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Send me a SpaceOrb, and I'll check what this is.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

I can LEND you mine...I'm in the UK, so not so far to ship it. PM me addy and details. :)

The things are old and now ultra rare. They connect via a 9 pin serial port. No one will just \"send\" you one. ;)
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

I got one, too and I'm from Germany - I'll test D2X-XL with my SpaceOrb and if it doesn't work the way it's supposed to work I could borrow Diedel my SpaceOrb (including drivers for Win98 and WinXP)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Valin Halcyon wrote:The things are old and now ultra rare. They connect via a 9 pin serial port. No one will just "send" you one. ;)
I never expected any one to just send me one. I had one myself years ago, btw, but never could handle it, so I sold it.
zefrench
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by zefrench »

I had the same problem using a Xbox Gamepad (Setup liek the halo controls). The resolution was to un check the box called: \"linear joystick sensitivty scaling\" in Setup -> control

Zefrench
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

well, I just tested D2X-XL with my SpaceOrb and everything works fine, so I think it's some sensitivity setting and if you don't want to fiddle with the D2X sensitivity sliders, the SpaceOrb sensitivity can be set quite easily, too (including response curves n such)

so I'm not gonna send my SpaceOrb anywhere :P
scott
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by scott »

OK, I was a little brain dead and had not noticed that there was a check box to un-check to get individual sensitivity and deadzone settings for four axis. I have played with this and the improvement is great, but not 100%. I also played with some of the detail level and other settings which seems to have cured some of the choppy-ness (by not having so much work for the processor to do).

The feel of the SpaceOrb is not the wonderful smooth-as-silk that it is in D1 and D2 though. I am not sure where the problem lies.

Would it be possible to add two more axis to the sensitivity control, and to give them more range? I have the two offending rotation axis pegged high and the others pegged low.

Cheers,

Scott
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I tried to get a SpaceOrb from ebay, but missed the deadline, dang it. I could have had a new one for 9 Euros + P&P. :evil: So I cannot test such stuff.