Problem with D1 secret exits

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my secret levels to work, meaning... I can't get the secret level exits to work. I notice in the original D1 First Strike hog that the secret levels don't have the \"end of exit tunnel\" box checked and the regular exits do. could this be my problem? I am yet to rebuild my hog with the levels that have the modified secret exit tunnel last cube with the unchecked box.

I used yahoma and hamm to build the hogs and also checked it out with dle-xp. The levels that lead to secret levels are indicated by the level number that corresponds to the secret level. All indicated in dle-xp mission panel and hamm mission builder so I know that everything is set up right, am I missing something?

I have tried everything including research on the net and in this forum to find the answer to this problem. I am really at a dead end with this and I really need help with this. I always try all other avenues before I come here and beg for help but please, anyone with any info or advice on this matter please help.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There are DLE-XP Q&A and bug reports thread for this.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

(excuse me if this is breaking any rules) To the best of my memory it doesn't really matter what you do with those as long as the secret exit door has the right trigger (and it is not the exit one; should be something like \"secret exit\"). End of exit tunnel flags don't affect it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you enter the correct secret level information in the mission file? For secret exits, you need to specify the source and the destination level in the msn file:

That should look like this:

num_levels = 3
level1.rdl
level2.rdl
level3.rdl
num_secrets = 1
slevel.rdl,2

That means that secret exits in level 2 lead to slevel.rdl.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

ok, heh, it took me this long to figure out how to view my MSN file. I just used notepad to open it, probably the wrong way to do it but here is what I see:

name = reetus mission
type = normal
num_levels = 15
r2.rdl
dorren.rdl
r1.rdl
bandor.rdl
serega.rdl
painhex.rdl
bukibal.rdl
r3.rdl
r4.rdl
rankor.rdl
chirala.rdl
tindre.rdl
barrel.rdl
ropo.rdl
r5.rdl
num_secrets = 3
sl01.rdl,2
sl02.rdl,7
sl03.rdl,11
date = 12/14/2006
revision = 12/13/2006
author = yes
email = yes
web_site = yes
custom_textures = no
custom_robots = no
custom_music = no
normal = yes
anarchy = no
robo_anarchy = no
coop = no
capture_flag = no
hoard = no
multi_author = no
want_feedback = no

edit: I just tried opening the mission and going to a level with a secret exit, put the cube on the secret exit then went to the \"triggers\" panel. I notice for some reason it won't let me check the \"secret level\" box, it automaticalls slides up to the \"illusion on\" box and checks that one?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Are you using the latest DLE-XP version? If yes, then that's a bug.

Edit: Looks like illusion on and secret exit are swapped.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

I am using 1.5.51
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Current version is 1.5.53. I have fixed the exchanged trigger check box bug. Try that one.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

It still doesn't work, I opened the mission and went to the level with the secret exit. I highlight the cube with the secret exit and check the \"secret exit\" box on the triggers panel. I click save and then try playing the level but when I get to the secret exit nothing happens. I re-open the hog in dle-xp and go back to the cube, highlight the door and check on the triggers panel and the box is no longer checked.Am I setting it up wrong or going about it wrong? This is a D1 mission.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will check.

Edit: Fixed, get v1.5.54.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

fixed indeed :D
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Does it work like this in D2? Cause the mn2 reads

name = Descent 2: Counterstrike!
type = normal
num_levels = 24
d2leva-1.rl2
d2leva-2.rl2
d2leva-3.rl2
d2leva-4.rl2
d2levb-1.rl2
d2levb-2.rl2
d2levb-3.rl2
d2levb-4.rl2
d2levc-1.rl2
d2levc-2.rl2
d2levc-3.rl2
d2levc-4.rl2
d2levd-1.rl2
d2levd-2.rl2
d2levd-3.rl2
d2levd-4.rl2
d2leve-1.rl2
d2leve-2.rl2
d2leve-3.rl2
d2leve-4.rl2
d2levf-1.rl2
d2levf-2.rl2
d2levf-3.rl2
d2levf-4.rl2
num_secrets = 6
d2leva-s.rl2,1
d2levb-s.rl2,5
d2levc-s.rl2,9
d2levd-s.rl2,13
d2leve-s.rl2,17
d2levf-s.rl2,21

Which would mean that Secret Level 1 is reached from level 1 which is incorrect as are the other entries.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Moon - not sure whether it handles it in precisely the same way in D1, but the D2 .mn2 file is backward-compatible at least.

What's happening there is that the number specified pertains to the first level the secret level could be reachable from; secret exits in all levels from then until the point the secret level is replaced will go to that level.

So what you're really seeing is SL1 = 1-4, SL2 = 5-8, SL3 = 9-12, SL4 = 13-16, SL5 = 17-20, SL6 = 21-24.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

Makes sense. However, I always thought there was more to it in the levels itself. Imagine I've played through the game and start a new run on level 3 entering secret level 1. Now when I return through the teleport without destroying the reactor how does the game know I didn't arrive from level 4? Silly question, I know...
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'd imagine it's just kept as part of the game data... if you're in a secret level, it keeps track of the normal level; if you're in a normal level, it keeps track (with the mn2's help) of what the corresponding secret level should be.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

As far as a know, D2 stores automatically a special savegame named secret.sgc...
I think that the level you came from data and all secret level data is stored there (since you can't manually save on a secret level)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)