DLE-XP Bug Report Thread

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D3Hack wrote:BTW, DLE-XP does still go to minimum zoom when I open a level...
I believe you, but I just cannot reproduce that, and therefore I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Make sure you have depth perception on high. I just discovered that it won't happen otherwise. :)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Diedel wrote:
D3Hack wrote:BTW, DLE-XP does still go to minimum zoom when I open a level...
I believe you, but I just cannot reproduce that, and therefore I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.
D3Hack wrote:Make sure you have depth perception on high. I just discovered that it won't happen otherwise. :)
I was getting the same thing. On one system when I load a level to work on it would load the level at minimal zoom EVERY time but on the other system it was loading the same level filling the view window EVERY time.

The key? Turn off "Depth Perception" in the Preferences. If I had it on anything other than Off, it would load levels at minimal zoom view.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

AARRRGGG! Double post! :x
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

similar to the above happened to me.

edit: this happens to me with dle.
1. if you chose a high depth perception level in prefs. the map will be zoomed way out.

2. if you have a low render level set then only parts of the mine will be visible at one time. this can be useful to get rid of cubes blocking your sight of other cubes you're texture aligning.

the only thing about the low render level is that i found it very low but i never touched it. ???
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

A wish...

Post by TechPro »

It would be nice if the texture tools had a "Refresh" or "Apply" button.

When applying texture changes, some items don't show in the mine view window until you click on something in the window. For example, if setting the lighting percentages for the texture, the changes don't show on the mine until you click on the cube or some other cube.

Would be nice if there was a button to click on to apply the changes. Would decrease the risk of changing something else accidentally.

By the way, I'm really enjoying what you've done with this. I'm definately enjoying this more than I would be with DMB2.

Oh, one other thing. This is what happens when I start editing textures, walls, doors, etc. The page file usage goes up and up until it hits near the top. Then it levels out but if I keep on editing, the system will eventually report low resources and will then resize the page file.

I've observed this on both my XP and 2000 systems. DLE-XP version 1.5.2
Immediatly upon exiting DLE-XP, the pagefile usage drops to normal levels. Saving my work from time to time does not return resources, only exiting and then reloading.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

TechPro,

i know what you mean. what works most of the time is to move your mouse pointer into the mine display window.

sometimes to get things set you have to click in the mine display window.

if you do the click in a clear part you won't change cube focus.

for lighting effects turn shading off/on (f5)
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

The colored light pallet itsn't appearing when I put a light texture on somewhere..:oops: Is this not supposed to happen? If it's normal how do I select a light color?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Colored light is only available in levels of type 'D2X-W32'. Convert your level (chose convert until you see 'converted to a D2X-W32 level' in the status bar).
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

would like to save time by having button to start d2x-w32 using currently loaded level from dle.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

Ooooh...:oops:

:D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Interesting idea - might work if the right mechanisms were used.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

i thought i asked this question but can't find it. sorry if it's a repeat.

after i place a 2nd tex on a side, for overlay light wall trigger, when i align the 1st tex the 2nd tex moves also. how do i align 2nd tex?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The basic alignment of a 2nd texture will always be the one of the base texture. All you can do is rotate the 2nd texture by 90,180 or 270 deg using the corr. radio buttons in the texture tool. No way to align them completely independently from each other.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:would like to save time by having button to start d2x-w32 using currently loaded level from dle.
Hm. In principle, you can do this - there are mechanisms in Windows to have an application launch another one. I will look into it. I need to check whether D2X-W32 allows to directly launch a game w/o having to select a mission first. In any case, you will have to specify a default pilot to load in d2x.ini ('-player <name>').
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

i believe in other win gameeditor progs that do this they have some extra info supplied from preferences:

1. game folder/name
2. player
3. mission name
4. other in game options set

also before launch the mine must have been checked and saved and if no mine check, save game not done; launch fails.

i think a temp file is copied from the edited file. this way if working in a multilevel file the currently edited level is used as a single mission. then that is launched.

just getting past the menu screens to mission selection would speed things up. tho inspecting the mine is easier than w dmb, full size and well lit close in inspection can't be beat.
i switch to d2x-w32 quite often.

i forget. can a texture be edited for one side yet left alone for others? or the modification is used for all? thanks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

A texture is a sample used level-wide. If you want a new texture, you have to edit/create it with some paint program and overload an existing texture you don't need for your level with it (try the edit button in the texture tool, then load another bitmap file, or save one first, edit it, and load the edited version).

Btw, spawning D2X-W32 directly from DLE-XP is a great idea, and is working already. New files online, too. ;)

Ooooh, I love that idea. I was just too lazy to implement it (thus wasting hours and hours by launching D2X-W32, chosing a level, and running it).

To avoid D2X-W32 asking for a pilot, enter your default pilot in d2x.ini as described above.

Edit: You can also specify the profile name in the preferences dialog now.

Techpro,

I cannot observe the abnormal memory consumption. What exactly do you mean with 'editing textures'?
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

I hope this hasn't been asked already, but...How do I import my own hires 24-bit textures? All I can do is use the standard D2 pallet and work with 64*64 256 color bitmaps...:(
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Texture Tool -> Edit Texture -> Load Texture -> Select .tga in the file selection box -> load some TGA texture -> press OK in texture edit dialog.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

...o.0 Is it supposed to look like that? :oops:
Maybe cuz I translated it from PNG to TGA using The GIMP.
All I did was open it, and save it as; it looked like all I had to do was type in a new extention o.0

Here's the origional image:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Image wrote:...o.0 Is it supposed to look like that? :oops:
Definitely not.

Afaik there are several TGA formats, some compressed. Save it as uncompressed 24 bit TGA.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

wewt! :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yep. :)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

mmm. can't wait to try launch from dle.
edit:
works from dle!!!!! which is all i wanted. ty, ty, ty, :mrgreen:

put complete player file name *.plr in d2x.ini
and works!!!!! ty, ty, ty, :mrgreen:

? can a d2 (rl2) level coexist with a d2x-w32 level in the same hog file?

? editor tool bar;
can get repeat of button pushed with mouse and held?

can get number pad keys to activate corresponding buttons on editor tool bar keys if num lock on?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

When I said "Editing Textures" I meant those times I assigning textures, adjusting the texture alignment, setting light levels, etc.

Every system I've tried DLE-XP on shows the "memory leak" problem... tho I admit I haven't had the chance to check it on my Win98 system.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:put complete player file name *.plr in d2x.ini
You can use the player profile field in DLE-XP's preferences dialog; this you don't need the -player entry in d2x.ini.
jakee308 wrote:? can a d2 (rl2) level coexist with a d2x-w32 level in the same hog file?
Yes.
jakee308 wrote:? editor tool bar;
can get repeat of button pushed with mouse and held?
I would like to have that, too, but MFC (Microsoft Windows coding library) is pretty stubborn here.
jakee308 wrote:can get number pad keys to activate corresponding buttons on editor tool bar keys if num lock on?
The num pad keys do not activate the toolbar buttons, but the edit toolbar is only there to emulate the num pad keys. So you can actually use the num pad keys (with numlock activated) to edit the mine, and don't need to click around in the edit toolbar.

Techpro,

I couldn't observe this memory leak. That means I cannot fix it.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

Diedel,
1st whatever i have to do to get that jump is ok with me.
as i said i did put name in dle pref. and it worked. when running d2x solo to jump past player pic scrn, I had to use full filename including ext. "jakee.plr" for it to work.
not complaint just stating what worked.

Yes! if i don't have the editor tool bar on screen then the numpad works. that's ok, didn't know.

one little whine/? can make mouse down handler activate key down handler and make multiple presses that way? can be done in vb.net. don't know about c/c+
:mrgreen: i ask because i like the diagrams on the keys, they help remind me which key to use. no biggee.

thanks for jump, i was getting old fast enough as it was :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:can make mouse down handler activate key down handler and make multiple presses that way? can be done in vb.net. don't know about c/c+
:mrgreen: i ask because i like the diagrams on the keys, they help remind me which key to use. no biggee.
I told you it's somewhat hard to be because the M$ MFC screw around with that somehow and I haven't found out how to change that. I will see what I can do about it though, as I'd love to have that, too. Sometimes all I need is somebody else to ask for something I was thinking about for a long time already to make me do it. ;)

I might have to derive a class from the button class and add my own mouse handling. Pfffff.

Edit: Been there, done that. :mrgreen:

'-player' switch bug fixed, too.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

nah, that's way to much to do while the functionality exists without it.

i would like to have dle start up with the level i was working on last. not a biggy.

when finished with this level, will start a d2x level and use the extras :mrgreen:

only big prob i got now is if i switch to texture panel and the mouse ptr is there AND i forget and hit a key, whatever char i hit wipes out the shading of that texture. the upper left box has focus when you switch to the texture panel unless you move the mouse back into the view window. most times i can figure what the shade was but sometimes no.

can make shading value boxes not accept alpha input?

i know what you mean about extra nudge to do stuff. i do that also. :roll:
hey, my middle name is nudge.nudge.whine.beg.nudge.whine. :wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:nah, that's way to much to do while the functionality exists without it.

i would like to have dle start up with the level i was working on last.
I had thought of adding such a feature, but as you have a least recently used file list in the file menu, I decided that that was good enough.
jakee308 wrote: not a biggy.
That's what you think. :roll:
jakee308 wrote:can make shading value boxes not accept alpha input?
Theoretically, yes. ;)
jakee308 wrote:hey, my middle name is nudge.nudge.whine.beg.nudge.whine. :wink:
I know. :P ;)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

When I save a level into a hog file, instead of asking me for a name for the level file like DMB2, DLE-XP takes the name of the level itself, which, obviously, is too long and ends up being cut off, so that I have a bad file name...
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

deidel, when i say something's not a biggy i mean it's not a biggy if it stays the way it is. i would not presume to say how tough something would be to rewrite. so the no biggy was "no big deal if it can't be done." will be clearer about that in future.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

d3hack,

I'll look into this.

PS: Do you know what I hate about your error messages? Your lack of diligence! I need the exact procedure how to reproduce that bug, because it doesn't happen for all possible cases of writing a mission!

Do you know what I also hate? Having to tell ppl the same thing more than once, like you in this case!

jakee,

oh - I see. :)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Mine naming thing fixed in the new version, 'cept that when I save a new (meaning just created and unsaved) level with the "Save" option in the menu, it seems to create another hog file with the bad name... but anyway, ty. :)

Sorry about my bug reporting. I'll (hopefully) remember that next time :roll: (and if that doesn't work, I'll resort to using sticky notes...). :wink:
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

when inserting an object. the drop down menu says "copy of current object shift+insert". using shift+insert brings up a dialog for opening a block file (see edit menu - paste block).

would like to have some key to insert current object in current cube.

just a note; i haven't been able to document exactly what steps cause the problem; deleting cubes or walls causes things to happen to other cubes and walls. deleting a wall once deleted 3 other walls and the exit wall. i may have change the cube focus without realizing it but don't think so. this is a no big deal. i.e. i'm mentioning it now and if it happens again will detail the steps better.

also does dle have a "changes to level" memory size limitation? it seems that it is less likely for things to go bad if the level is saved often which i presume clears this memory. saving often is what should be done anyway but if you don't save for awhile then program behaviour seems to become erratic. (this is also a no biggy) anything i can work around is a no biggy. the key thing is semi biggy cause it is a recurrent action and menu use is slow.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Diedel, I have an idea for selecting RGB color values for the lights in DLE-XP.

Aside from the 256 color palette, you could add an option to enter RGB values manually, writing them in input text boxes, or something like HTML values in text format.

Maybe that way, you don't need to play too much with the MFC (don't know, since i'm not programmer :P )
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

this might not belong here. i think dle introduces a ai type drop down selection menu. i would like some brief explanations of what a selection will cause a robot to do.
i've looked in the dmb help file and the ai settings
it refers to are the settings dle refers to as behaviour.
could not find reference to ai settings. your website and dle page referring to the object tool shows a pane that does not have the ai settings dropdown menu. and doesn't describe any.

AI
this selects the robots behaviour. for 1 robot or all of a type?

still (doesn't move? how diff from station?)
normal (understand, use the default behaviour)
hides behind (what does this mean?)
drops bomb (understand)
snipe (understand)
station (how diff from still)
follow (pursue or just tail?)
smart bombs (understand)

Behaviour
this is it's normal behaviour and applies to the whole class of robots. yes?
i understand what all these mean and what the robot will do.

kamikaze
companion
thief
smart blobs
pursues
charges
e. drain
ends level
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't understand all these either. You will have to build some test level and try all this stuff out. When you're done, write it all down, and I will publish it under your name in my DLE-XP manual. ;)
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

ok, will do.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know a few.

Snipers can open doors and will shoot at your from far away with high precision. Rarely used, as they are really powerful. Someone here told me recently that he makes all his bosses snipers as that will make them follow you everywhere (probably combined with the 'follow' property).

Kamikazi will ram you.

Pursue will actively pursue you (difference to 'follow' unknown to me).

'Thief' and 'E-drain' should be clear.

'Ends level' means that killing that bot will open the exit door and start the end level countdown. It will also enable boss teleporting behaviour - in other words: A boss bot not having the 'ends level' flag set does not teleport (and maybe doesn't do a few other boss-specific things - dunno though).

'Companion' - don't really know, maybe behave like guide bot.

'Smart blobs' - could be the feature of shooting homing green plasma blobs at you when hit by an energy weapon (like e.g. Diamond claws).

While you perform your tests, I will take a look into the game code and see what else I can find out. Some more info on this subject can't hurt. :)

Btw, I have added fluid physics to D2X-W32. That means that in segments marked as lava or water you will here the appropriate sounds, the ship will shake, all objects travelling through them will be slowed down (to 66% in lava, to 75% in water), and will be damaged in lava. Ofc toggleable. How does that sound? :D