Back Compatibilty

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Back Compatibilty

Post by Tankie2 »

I use D1X 1.4X, usually 1.40, I see D1 Rebirth listed as version 1.5, which is a bad thing because it allows rebirth into \"D1X only\" games and D1X only games' main objective with all versions was mainly to limit the spew to keep the weapons count at a logical level and to keep accurate track of spew location with all the clients. Later it also enabled extrta feature as radar and weapons selection available. With the exception version 1.30 which has truncated packets all versions of D1X from 1.1 to 1.43 implement this feature. I think you should either make it a priority to fix the D1X compatibility with spew control or disable it from joining D1X only games. Since nearly every rebirth game I join indicates short packets is not enable, until I issue the command requesting it you may want to look into whether or not they are being triggered properly or sending the proper D1X short packet request to the older versions. IMO 1.40 has perfect game play with the original dos executable and all versions: 1.1 through 1.43, with the exception of 1.30, which has truncted packet info and which to my knowledge, Sekmu had never approved for release.

I'll be happy to discuss my opinions with you in Kali chat. Perhaps we can play a few games and make a few demos to demonstrate my claims if you like.

Good luck with your project.
Keep it real.
Keep it old school.
Keep it Descent.

Thank you.
Tankie 2
Playing Descent for 12 years counting.