How I set up the new versions of Descent in Kali:

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tankie2 »

First of all, I set D1X-Rebirth up as a custom game and name the Game \"D1X-Rebirth 0.50\" and not by selecting Descent from Kali's list of games to install then redirecting the default to a different executable.

This also allows me to see D1X rebirth-hosted games listed separately in the 'Game Lobbies' folder in the 'Kali Resources' frame. It also then clearly shows D1X rebirth as an option to launch in a game lobby, not as \"Descent\" follow by obscure alphanumeric value. If I also have D2X-XL I would do the same for it. This method clearly identifies the game launch icon in the status bar when I hover the cursor it using the custom game name I provided. This is also handy if i decided to ad more than one version since I included the version number in the game name.

I do not need to put any command line arguments that aren't already in the d1x.ini (default) file like I would in setting up the original game with Kali's preset config.

I can however set a switch for alternate ini files I may want to use for a specific D1X-Rebirth configuration I want to check out (EG: -ini test.ini) or to add a switch to my usual configuration that I only need to use in Kali. As an example one switch I would only need to use in kali is <-kali>, to use Kali for networking, or to load a Descent profile.

Since most Kali games are D1X only and for anarchy I created a multi profile I had named kalid1xr which has the D1X only option checked. I load these two options in the Kali game cofiguration dialog \"Cdm Ling Args\" box in this way: <-kali -mprofile kalid1xr.pfl>. I could also assign a default player for each Kali user or Kali serial number using this method if I wished.

Through Kali, D1X-R loads these switches on launch, then uses the default ini file (d1x.ini) which contains the remaining switches. An example follows.

Note: I renamed the original d1x.ini file that came with the distribution to d1xrebirth.ini.txt because it contains valuable information on the use and purpose of the many siwtches I can use. Only then did I create this short, sweet abreviated file as my default.

d1x.ini:

-fullscreen
-fps
-hiresfont
-kali
-pps 10
-shortpackets
-playermessages
-cockpit 0
-msgcolorlevel 3
-hudlines 6
-maxfps 60
-missiondir missions
-savebans

The only other thing I have left to do is to select the D1X icon by selecting choose from file and browsing to the d1x-rebirth.ico file. The icon cool looking and unique to Descent Rebirth. It clearly identifies the rebirth version when choosing a game to launch.

Other options, such as the game resolution, revert to the last used for the pilot I choose to use.

-and that is how I set up the new versions of Descent. :)

On another note:
D1x was originally an effort to make Descent more compatible with Kali, and as a result new versions of D1X were ragularly added to the known versions of Descent in the Kali game updates. I have it on good authority that version 0.51 of D1X-Rebirth (and D2X-Rebirth in turn) is going to be released in perhaps less than a week.

FINALLY
closing this rather long winded post:
I believe it is time D1X Rebirth be added to the a Kali game update with the proper pre-configuration and with it's own game icon (not the now outdated Descent default which was used before with previous D1X).

I am sure that if enough of us make an effort to request this update our Kali god, the mighty Jay, will respond and bless us by granting our wish.

Luv yas!
Tankie2
(aka: TankGirl)

PS:

Just joking, no post script :P

PPS:

No. really, I'm just joking... I'm done.