* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00



Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: D2X license
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:48 am 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
Zico,

D2X is not private source code, it has been released to the public domain. Even if it wasn't, I could and have chosen to make my additions GPL.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:46 am 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Doodle, do you understand the concept of private message, or are you trying to stir the pot again? That code he used was NOT yours so don't even bother trying to claim it is.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 am 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 66
I believe this has already been addressed elsewhere.

http://dxx-rebirth.de/smf/index.php?top ... 74#msg1374

And also here.

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=11893


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 am 
Offline
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 1999 2:01 am
Posts: 4193
ICQ: 6955979
Website: http://bubbalou.event3dstudios.com
Location: Dallas Texas USA
IBTCL:

WTF Bro , are you just going to be a spinster and wank at every opportunity you can get ???

No one is stealing your spotlight, but you sure are trying hard to have your lights put out.


this is not http://www.diedlebb.net

You are allegedly a MOD on one of these forums how about you act like it.

_________________

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:50 am 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
MD-2389 wrote:
Doodle, do you understand the concept of private message, or are you trying to stir the pot again? That code he used was NOT yours so don't even bother trying to claim it is.

I finally figured what MD means in your case: Mad Dog.

It was my code. In the very early days of D2X-W32, I had contributed to D2X on icculus.org, and it stems from that time. Insofar zico cannot be blamed. Zico made public statements, and so will I.

So don't claim things you really don't have a clue about, you smartass looking for an occasion to pick a fight.

Bubbalou,

so because I am a mod I mustn't make normal posts here anymore? I didn't offend anybody here, I simply clarified something. There is no need at all for someone who is not a complete arse to talk to me like you do. Why don't you guys stop to wank over me at every occasion you find suitable? Because that is the best one could ever expect from you?

[Post mirrored in D2X-XL area]


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:03 pm 
Offline
DXX Master
DXX Master

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 am
Posts: 229
AFAIK you can't change the license of a code that easy. Even if you rewrite wide parts of that code it's still a problem.

Also see SCO vs. Linux.

But sure you can put those additions to GPL.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:10 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Diedel wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:
Doodle, do you understand the concept of private message, or are you trying to stir the pot again? That code he used was NOT yours so don't even bother trying to claim it is.

I finally figured what MD means in your case: Mad Dog.

It was my code. In the very early days of D2X-W32, I had contributed to D2X on icculus.org, and it stems from that time. Insofar zico cannot be blamed. Zico made public statements, and so will I.

So don't claim things you don't really have a clue about, you smartass looking for an occasion to pick a fight. Wh don't you guys stop to wank over me at every occasion you find suitable? Because that is the best one could ever expect from you?

Bubbalou,

I didn't offend anybody here, I simply clarified something. There is no need at all for someone who is not a complete arse to talk to me like you do.

[Post mirrored in D2X-XL area]


ROFL @ picking a fight! Seriously, you falsely accused zico of theft (on TWO boards no less), and got called on it. I'm not the one picking a fight here bub, its YOU. If I was picking a fight with you dude, you would KNOW it! If you bother to re-read the two posts I've made directed at you, not once did I use a personal attack. I reminded you to keep your slander to PM. However, if a flamewar is what you desire....keep it up. I will not tolerate your bullshit slander, and I will keep firing back should you choose to spread your lies any further.

This is EXACTLY the attitude that got you run off of the descent server on kali on MULTIPLE occasions. (as well as damn near every other board you've posted on)


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:22 pm 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
One of the differences between you and me is that I am able to admit a mistake.

I wrote that zico is not to be blamed for it. I also didn't accuse zico of theft. As D2X-XL code is GPL'd, you cannot steal it, at least not by simply using it in some other free software. I wrote he should at least give me credit for it.

I understand that fine differences like that are a little too much for you to cope with, and that you are reading impaired: You have a blind spot when it comes to things that do not suit you.

I haven't gotten run off the KALI server one single time, so much less multiple times. So that are your wet dreams. :lol: People with your kind of fantasy are usually called liars.

That means that talking to you is actually a waste of time. Like your entire life.

zico,

the direction is GPL -> proprietary code is prohibited. I can however always GPL new code. GPL roughly means people cannot just turn it into their personal property, not even by deriving from it. GPL therefore is a clear statement of protection of the code in favor of the public, and some person or company.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:25 pm 
Offline
DXX Master
DXX Master

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 am
Posts: 229
Yeah you can NOT make GPL code commercial.

But the GPL CAN'T say which codes you can \"convert to GPL\" (if this is possible however). There you would need to ask Parallax.

EDIT:
This is what I know. I could be wrong. Do what you want. I guess PARALLAX will not complain anymore


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:27 pm 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
The homer framerate limiting code is entirely new code introduced by me.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:29 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Diedel wrote:
One of the differences between you and me is that I am able to admit a mistake.

I wrote that zico is not to be blamed for it. I also didn't accuse zico of theft. As D2X-XL code is GPL'd, you cannot steal it, at least not by simply using it in some other free software. I wrote he should at least give me credit for it.

I understand that fine differences like that go way beyond your intellect (you just proved it), and that you cannot read everything that is written. You have a blind spot when it comes to things that do not suit you.

That means that talking to you is actually a waste of time. Like your entire life.


Funny, you indicated the complete polar opposite when you posted the "ripping code" thread. Maybe you should look up the definition of ripping.

Quote:
Sure, D2X-XL is GPL, but if you rip code from D2X-XL, you still ought to have at least the decency to give due credit to the author.

I wonder how much other stuff you took from D2X-XL w/o dropping a single word about it.

Diedel


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
to rip out = to tear out.
to rip = to steal?

That would be new to me, but then this is not my native language and I make mistakes.

Fact is that I wrote I didn't care about that, I cared about not receiving credit for my code.

Fact is also that I wrote that it's not Zico's fault after all.

It doesn't get any simpler than that, and you can turn it every way you want: You aren't right, period.

Zico,

I am not trying to suggest you took D2X-XL code or should do it, but if you ever want to do it, feel free to do so as, just give me credit for it (e.g. in the release notes). I think that isn't asked much. :)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:40 pm 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 66
Diedel wrote:
Why don't you guys stop to wank over me at every occasion you find suitable?


That's an interesting request, but I'm not sure anyone is going to take you up on it. But, hey, to each his own, I guess.

Could be a good career change, though, you never know.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:45 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Diedel wrote:
to rip out = to tear out.
to rip = to steal?

That would be new to me, but then this is not my native language and I make mistakes.


Don't even try to backpedal out of that one. You clearly knew what it meant when you wrote it.

Quote:
Fact is that I wrote I didn't care about that, I cared about not receiving credit for my code.


Then why the sniping comment about zico "stealing" code from your program at the tail end of that post?

Quote:
I wonder how much other stuff you took from D2X-XL w/o dropping a single word about it.


Quote:
Fact is also that I wrote that it's not Zico's fault after all.


Then why do you continue to attack zico and his work at every turn? Don't even try to backpedal out of this too, I saw what you said on kali. You can /ignore people all you want, but we can still see what you say. However, since you have clearly acknowledged that zico is not to blame for anything, then you need to publicly apologize to him for your unfounded accusations.

Quote:
It doesn't get any simpler than that, and you can turn it every way you want: You aren't right, period.


You're right, it doesn't get any simpler than that. It is also painfully obvious that you're trying to slander rebirth at every opportunity because its painfully apparent that the only active D1/D2 community left prefers rebirth or they build a legacy rig. You can't stand it that people on kali don't pander to your ego stroking. Get over yourself dude, and stick to your own corner of the internet.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:24 pm 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
MD,

listen you troll who just tries to prove something that isn't true with all his might.

I can rip music from a CD, and the CD is my personal property. No theft. I never knew this could be used with the meaning of theft. That is the truth, and your claims won't change it, suggest it as much as you want, it is your personal opinion, nothing more, and by all means not a proven fact.

I once said on KALI that I thought Zico had ripped (taken!) stuff from D2X-XL. Once. From what I wrote just above it is clear that I changed my mind. I am not attacking Zico, and even less every turn.

Dude, you are just trying to vent his hatred at me at every occasion that seems suitable to shed a bad light on my character. I have hardly ever met a person as creepy and slimey a liar as you are. Every post here proves it. You didn't look for a fight? A lie. STFU. I would call you a POS, but that would be a gross injustice to this comparably useful end product of human digestion. It can at least serve as fertilizer.

I have enough of your perverted expressions of envy.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Diedel wrote:
MD,

listen you troll who just tries to prove something that isn't true with all his might.


rofl, prove it then. Everything I have posted has a verifiable source. Prove me wrong! I hereby CHALLENGE you to do so. Where is YOUR SOURCE that proves me wrong! Go ahead and post it!

Quote:
I can rip music from a CD, and the CD is my personal property. No theft. I never knew this could be used with the meaning of theft. That is the truth, and your claims won't change it, suggest it as much as you want, it is your personal opinion, nothing more, and by all means not a proven fact.


Right definition, wrong context. Since you obviously have a poor grasp of the english language, let me give you a lesson. The word "rip" has many meanings, all depending on the context. One definition is to physically tear something, another is to steal (slang used akin to the brit slang word "knick"). This is not personal opinion, this is FACT. Go look it up.

Quote:
I once said on KALI that I thought Zico had ripped (taken!) stuff from D2X-XL. Once. From what I wrote just above it is clear that I changed my mind.


Your post in the previous thread indicates otherwise.

Quote:
I am not attacking Zico, and even less every turn.


ORLY? Then why is it that you treat him like dirt in private?

Quote:
Dude, you are just trying to vent his hatred at me at every occasion that seems suitable to shed a bad light on my character. I have hardly ever met a person as creepy and slimey a liar as you are. Every post here proves it. You didn't look for a fight? A lie. STFU. I would call you a POS, but that would be a gross injustice to this honorable end product of human digestion.

I have enough of your perverted expressions of envy.


Venting hatred? ROFL You go around acting like your shit don't stink, and wonder why people hate you? I only attack you when you attack others. Unlike a certain administrator, I will not sit back and watch you run people out of the community. Unlike a certain administrator, I actually give a damn about the members around here and WILL stand up for them. These people are my friends and I will not tolerate you treating them like garbage. You can get high and mighty all you want, but it will not change the fact that you are a total asshole. (Gee, maybe THATS why you're banned from EVERY german descent community on the internet! Gee, maybe THATS why Steven Clouse booted your ass from the D2x project!)

Face it, you publicly acknowleged that zico has done nothing wrong, yet you are too much of a coward to PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE to him for your personal attacks.


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:55 pm 
Offline
D2X Master
D2X Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 5278
Website: http://www.descent2.de
Your opionions are worthless. So are you.

EOT


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:56 pm 
Offline
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 66
Diedel wrote:
I would call you a POS, but that would be a gross injustice to this comparably useful end product of human digestion. It can at least serve as fertilizer.


Nice ninja edit there, killer, but I think you realized that " I would call you a POS, but that would be a gross injustice to this honorable end product of human digestion. " would be another case of describing yourself in the most egotistical way possible.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:56 pm 
Offline
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Posts: 13452
Location: Olathe, KS
Diedel wrote:
Your opionions are worthless. So are you.

EOT


Image


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:59 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Posts: 9205
WLM: biffski@yahoo.com
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA
Image








.







Image


:mrgreen:


Top
   
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 pm 
Offline
DXX Master
DXX Master

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 am
Posts: 229
Okay....


Quote:
I am not attacking Zico, and even less every turn.


okay...


I will not go much deeper...


My mother always said \"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything\".


But to finish this already...

You want credit?






THANK YOU

Not for code, but for flaming the whole DXX area.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Descent'rs have piloted these pages
 
The layout and contents contained within this site are © DescentBB.net 1997-2006.
Descent, Descent II are © Parallax Software Corporation.
Descent III is Outrage Entertainment.
Descent is a Trademark of Interplay Productions.

Miner Wars™ is trademark of Keen Software House s. r. o.
.


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group