Any new versions forthcoming?

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Any new versions forthcoming?

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey Zico,

Any progress on a version 0.53 that will address the stuttering sound and video in the movies? Please keep up the good work.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I know that within some time (could be a week, could be a month or two) there will be a BETA that his testers will test, I\"m pretty sure anyway.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The movies stutter? I hadn't noticed because I was too busy playing the actual game part which is awesome. :P
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Of course we are working on a new version. We always do. :)

I've also tried to optimize the OpenGL blitting a little bit so movies should play a little bit faster but I am not sure if I was good enough on that point.

I know there haven't been many news recenty, but we try to get a semi-public BETA out soon.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Any new versions forthcoming?

Post by Zantor »

tunnelcat wrote:Hey Zico,

Any progress on a version 0.53 that will address the stuttering sound and video in the movies? Please keep up the good work.
I don't have stuttering sound. If you run it off the CD, try installing the whole thing to the drive and watching the cinematics that way.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The only thing I've noticed is that there is a minute (and when I say minute, I'm talking sub 100ms here.) time lag difference between the movie and the audio. You have to REALLY pay attention to catch it. I just happened to notice it when I found an old copy of the ending movie that I had fraps'd a long long time ago.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well people, the stuttering problem is with my sound card. It seems the seven year old hardware finally gave up the ghost (partially). After much troubleshooting, the sound card itself seems to be the culprit (driver upgrades didn't solve it).

I went ahead and installed D2X on my XP computer and it works flawlessly, no stuttering, so there it will stay. I may also install D2X-XL and have fun with that one as well.

Thanks Zico, keep up the good work. Sorry about the stuttering sound problem complaint, but D2X was the only game at first that seemed to exhibit the problem. When I noticed it occurring during a few of my other in-game cut scenes, I suspected that my computer was a fault. It got slowly worse as time went on, a soft failure. Your coding was not the problem.

Ah, computers, aaaaarrrgh! :x
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Make sure your directories separate, and leave your original installs alone

Descent
D1X

Descent2
D2X
D2XL

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.