Midi music in Linux?

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Midi music in Linux?

Post by Xamindar »

I'm not quite sure what I need to get the music to play in linux these days. I have d1x-rebirth and d2x-rebirth working wonderfully in linux and I thank you so much for that. Last thing to get working for me is the music, I guess mainly the midi in D1. I miss that music so much. D2 I can just use the cd I think.

I need to do more testing on my system to see if I even have midi working. Does D1x-rebirth use timidity? Or is there something else I need to set up for it to work?
Why doesn't it work?
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Hey

For the next version of DXX we are planning a working implementation of SDL_mixer which will not only allow MIDI but also MP§ and OGG playback. Actually this is the last task before the release and I will spend a bit time to make it working properly.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Wow, that sounds cool

As for timidity, it looks like it is my system. I just don't have it working yet. Well, off I go to read and read until I find out how to get it working.
Why doesn't it work?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Ok I got midi working and can play midi music in linux now......but d1x-rebirth still doesn't play the music. Does it even work? Or is there a command line switch that can turn it on?
Why doesn't it work?
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

If you have timidity working, you could compile D1X-Rebirth with \"sdlmixer=1\" flag for SCons. Of course you need SDL_mixer installed for this, too. Then MIDI should play already, but it's not finished yet, so please do not expect it completly bug-free. :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

hmmm...I installed it with an ebuild on gentoo..

When I launch the game it spits out \"Using plain old SDL audio\" in the console. Is that right?
Why doesn't it work?
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Ah, I forgot, you need to apply the command-line parameter -sdlmixer when launching the game as well. :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

oh haha. Thanks! That did it....
Why doesn't it work?