Foot controls for ship motion in DXX?

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Foot controls for ship motion in DXX?

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm stuck with only one hand I can use and it's driving me nuts that I can't play on the computer. Would it be possible to use a set of rudder pedals in DXX? I was thinking of using the toe brake axis for ship motion, right brake press for forward and left brake press for reverse. The unit is from CH Products. Just an idea.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Bubba could probably answer that one for you. PM him.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, I did some experimenting around and here's what I did. Unfortunately, the toe brakes on my rudder pedals are seen as axis. So what I did was set the throttle axis assignment with one of the toe brakes, the right one. What I got is a variable smooth throttle, both forward and backward. The mid point of the pedal travel is where the ship has no motion in either direction, so you have to hold it there for no motion to occur. Works quite well! Better than key pressing A and Z, full or no throttle that old way. :D
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Just to let anybody know that owns a set of rudder pedals, this setup works fantastic! I've never had a variable throttle in D2 before, so this is a vast improvement in precise movement control. It also frees up my hands for other button controls. You just have to get used to where the midpoint of the pedal travel is for no motion to occur with your Pyro. Back and forward movement with just a tilt of the pedal. By the way, I'm only using the one right pedal for now, but you could potentially use the left one for some other axis control. :D