bug in .61

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

megareddeath
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

bug in .61

Post by megareddeath »

I was playing descent 1 while listening to youtube so i had to turn the music volume down of the in game music (built in) but some of the midi instruments were still playing even with it turned all of the way down it was no problem i just had to turn it up and then turn it back down and it was fixed....anyone else notice this?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: bug in .61

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've seen that happen a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it was in dosbox... I don't generally play these games with midi that often anymore.
If if was dosbox that's very interesting, the audio playback in dos descent and the sourceports use entirely different code libraries to my understanding, so it implies the issue might actually lie with the windows midi driver. ...assuming you're on windows.
The windows midi synth is known to be pretty bad. Wouldn't be that surprising actually. Though it's also quite possible the midi playback isn't handled the same way by the game as sound playback.

Anyway, try setting up a different midi driver like VirtualMidiSynth, and see if this thing still happens? You'll probably get better quality from it anyway. ;)
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
megareddeath
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: bug in .61

Post by megareddeath »

wow! thanx.. that's a really neat piece of software i just heard a sample of the sgm soundfont and the lead guitar sounded real anyway I think i'm going to install it and tabit...