Question I dont think Ive seen answered yet.

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Question I dont think Ive seen answered yet.

Post by Nosferatu »

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I have not seen it yet.

Is there going to be a minimum windows version?

I am currently using Windows 2000 SP4.

That is most likely the last MS windows that I will ever use since I am philosophically opposed to the WPA.

I sure hope I will still be able to run CD.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I think I read somewhere in the past that Windows 2000 and up will be supported. Not completely sure though, worst case you would have to upgrade to XP but I doubt it.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Actually at present you have to have Windows XP SP2 if you are going to use Windows. We may expand the scope as things progress but that is currently the requirement.

Zach
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Does it use .NET 2 or something?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Well that cuts me out. Guess Im a Descent3er for the forseeable future.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Sirius wrote:Does it use .NET 2 or something?
What would make you say that?
Nosferatu wrote:Well that cuts me out. Guess Im a Descent3er for the forseeable future.
You know this game isn't coming out until sometime in 2007, I find it hard to imagine that you wouldn't upgrade by that time. Nevertheless, like I said, we may change that later anyway.

Zach
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

For me:

Microsoft Windows Product Activation Hash

=

Intel CPUID.

Now for some reason, Intel was crucified for their idea but Microsoft is given a pass?

Not by me.

Yaya, \"Professional\" doesn't have it. Doesn't matter. If I were to use an OS that has it in any form, its a violation of my principles.

Back in the days of Win95 beta testing, a number of beta testers found that the Registration Wizard called home and reported to MS some of the software packages that you had installed on Win3.11. When I heard about that, I made a vow to never use any Win9x based OS on any computer that I actually owned. (I had no problem with my place of business using it). And you know what?

THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!

ME is dead and gone and not one Win9x OS ever touched a computer hard drive that I actually owned.

So zbriggs, believe me when I tell you, XP/Vista will not be installed on any machine that I actually own.

Now Linux is a different story.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

You there are call back systems in 2000 as well. Most software has station keeping procedures in it of some sort.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Yes but none of those have the privacy implications of keeping a database of a unique number records.

If you dont agree that a simple number can have privacy implications then go back and read up on the brouhaha that surrounded Intels CPUID.

Oh and as for the NSAKEY thing, I have used the revoke patch. :P

And for anything else that might be lurking in there, I have my windows machine sitting behind a linux machine that is acting as a router/firewall. I have iptables setup to only allow port traffic that \"I\" specify.

So far I have had no trouble with my Windows machine, and (by the use of a software package called wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/) I have not seen it send out one suspicious packet, anywhere.

Blocking any hidden packets that dont effect the OS perfomance anyway, is entirely different than not being able to register your windows if you dont allow the OS to call home.

Im going to stop here by saying, that I think you should realize by now, that by making the descision to not support Windows 2000, you ARE preventing at least one Descent 3 player from using your game.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I thought CD was coming out for Linux as well. Isn't that what the CD people were saying at first? I will hesitate on a Windows version but will deffinately buy the Linux one. Can you clarify this zbriggs?

How 'bout you Nosferatu, would you buy a Linux version?
Why doesn't it work?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

OK, Originally it was only intended to be a Windows game, then we expanded it as code permitted to be cross-platform. At this point we are looking at Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and XBOX 360 with a possibility of PS3 being released at the same time. As for isolating you because you won't upgrade your windows out of fear that someone would know you're pirating their software or someone else's software or because of any illegal activities you may be doing, I'm not sure I would worry myself with your purchase, you obviously either pirate software enough that you will probably pirate this $50 game or you are engaged in illegal activity which would put you outside the normal of our average customer base. Most people don't worry about it because they don't have anything to hide and license their stuff.

In other words, I'm sorry that we aren't going to bend to meet your requirement right now but we are talking about an OS that is almost to the point of not being supported by it's maker and probably will be by the time the game is release.

Not trying to be a jerk, and it isn't our intentions to isolate people but somethings are overboard and we can't flex to meet the demands of 1 or 2 percent of the population, we have already done that once when we agreed to support Linux, Unix, and Mac.

http://coredecision.highoctane.biz/modu ... Statistics

We have to keep with the standards as should you.

Sincerely,
Zachary Briggs, Vice President
HighOctane Software
(866)328-1886
zach@highoctane.biz
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

So far I have had no trouble with my Windows machine, and (by the use of a software package called wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/) I have not seen it send out one suspicious packet, anywhere.
Arigato! I was looking for something like that. The last program I found that you can look at all packets with was NetworkActiv 1.4.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Ever tried Ethereal. I used to work on protocol and data design projects and that's what I used.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

zbriggs wrote:OK, Originally it was only intended to be a Windows game, then we expanded it as code permitted to be cross-platform. At this point we are looking at Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and XBOX 360 with a possibility of PS3 being released at the same time. As for isolating you because you won't upgrade your windows out of fear that someone would know you're pirating their software or someone else's software or because of any illegal activities you may be doing, I'm not sure I would worry myself with your purchase, you obviously either pirate software enough that you will probably pirate this $50 game or you are engaged in illegal activity which would put you outside the normal of our average customer base. Most people don't worry about it because they don't have anything to hide and license their stuff.

In other words, I'm sorry that we aren't going to bend to meet your requirement right now but we are talking about an OS that is almost to the point of not being supported by it's maker and probably will be by the time the game is release.

Not trying to be a jerk, and it isn't our intentions to isolate people but somethings are overboard and we can't flex to meet the demands of 1 or 2 percent of the population, we have already done that once when we agreed to support Linux, Unix, and Mac.

Sincerely,
HighOctane Software
(866)328-1886
zach@highoctane.biz
First of all Im not a pirate, and I take fairly serious offence at the implication that I am. Those who know my RL self will tell you that Im even a bit of a prude when it comes to pirating software. I wont do it. I have payed full price for my installation of Windows 2000, shortly after MS came out with it and have been a happy user ever since. Yes I bought it in a store. I even remember which store. It was an OfficeMax.

Way to go, endearing yourself to your potential user base, by insulting them like this.

Now despite getting insulted like this, there is a possibility that I might still buy CD for Linux (to answer Xamindars question)

And one last thing zbriggs.

Wireshark IS Ethereal. They changed their name. :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Nos; please don't flame other users here.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I think you should be saying that to zbriggs. Hes the one who implied that Im a software pirate.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Nosferatu wrote:
zbriggs wrote:OK, Originally it was only intended to be a Windows game, then we expanded it as code permitted to be cross-platform. At this point we are looking at Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and XBOX 360 with a possibility of PS3 being released at the same time. As for isolating you because you won't upgrade your windows out of fear that someone would know you're pirating their software or someone else's software or because of any illegal activities you may be doing, I'm not sure I would worry myself with your purchase, you obviously either pirate software enough that you will probably pirate this $50 game or you are engaged in illegal activity which would put you outside the normal of our average customer base. Most people don't worry about it because they don't have anything to hide and license their stuff.

Sincerely,
HighOctane Software
(866)328-1886
zach@highoctane.biz
First of all Im not a pirate, and I take fairly serious offence at the implication that I am. Those who know my RL self will tell you that Im even a bit of a prude when it comes to pirating software. I wont do it. I have payed full price for my installation of Windows 2000, shortly after MS came out with it and have been a happy user ever since. Yes I bought it in a store. I even remember which store. It was an OfficeMax.

Way to go, endearing yourself to your potential user base, by insulting them like this.

Now despite getting insulted like this, there is a possibility that I might still buy CD for Linux (to answer Xamindars question)

And one last thing zbriggs.

Wireshark IS Ethereal. They changed their name. :P
If you don't pirate software then what do you care if someone keeps a database. A great deal of companies and websites do. It's not like they actually are going to single you out and watch you. You would have to be a threat of some kind for them to even want to. You are just a number in a database that they can't even use for anything and really don't care what you do.

As for potential clients, as I already said, we have no plans for 2000, our focus is XP and Vista/Longhorn for the Windows platforms. Not to say you couldn't attempt the installation, we wouldn't do anything to inhibit that, but we also don't support it.

Zach
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Ok ladies and gentlemen. This has degraded.

Please move on.