IC 003 Progress Update

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

IC 003 Progress Update

Post by HeXetic »

Work on IC 003 is proceeding apace, and I thought I'd give a little status update for those who aren't following our progress on the IC Forums. I'm working on customizing the main menu so that you won't have to use the console to bind your roll keys (among others) and so that you'll know which button selects which gun.

It might not make it into 003, but Spectre has produced a pretty swank quad-fire upgrade pickup that certainly looks as beefy as we all know quad-lasers really are.

Image Image

But if that's not meaty enough for you, there's the new Auto-Cannon model; built to last, this gun rapid-fires four massive shells, rat-tat-tat style.

And finally, if you want to stand a chance against these big shots in IC003, you'll probably want to scoop up a few of our high-tech Shield Orb that Spectre managed to look pretty cool in spite of my fairly pathetic concept sketches.

You can keep tabs on our progress by watching the IC 0.0.3 Objectives List forum thread.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Great models!

Have you got the sound sample for the auto cannon yet? I remember you discussing this some time ago and you not wanting to barrow from another game.

I still like the sound of the cannon on the fighters in Lost In Space. Very tough sounding. (all other things about that movie aside. The Sound FX were great.
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

Narfig's working on it. I'm \"shooting\" (ha ha ha HA HA HA HA) for something like Halo's sniper rifle, but we'll see what audio concoction he whips up for us.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Hmm... maybe the sound that comes off of the A-10's gatling gn would be good. THough it's not rat-tat-tat...

That quad powerup looks good, though to..bulky, but that's probably because I\"m used to the powerup in Descent ;)
I like the model for the Autocann though.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

The shield orb is very different from the original design (which is a famous icon for Descent), but it still looks very good. It makes Into Cerberon look like a rebirth of Descent.
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

That's the idea, glad you like it.

Oh, and while I'm here, allow me to gratutiously name-drop a feature I know you'll all like:

IC 003 will have the tri-chord speed boost, controlled by a server-side parameter, and enabled by default.

I put it into our internal build just after IC 002 went out the door. We just found that the ship movement simply didn't \"feel right\" without it, it felt too slow. On the other hand, now that it's in we're finding that the boost itself might not be as useful/powerful as it is in Descent mainly because there's a whole lot more junk (map objects) to smack into.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Thanks for putting it back in tho !!
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

Don't you think for a moment that the expert among us won't take every advantage we can get. Glad it's in!
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

Well, sure... but we have another surprise in store. Ask yourself this: when playing Descent, do you find yourself tri-chording along walls?

If so, you may be in for a nasty surprise in IC.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

This is for thoughs of us who haven't been visiting the Into Cerberon site lately...... Like ME! :oops: :P

Image Image

Looking great guys!! :mrgreen:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

WOW. Nice shots.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

HeXetic wrote:something like Halo's sniper rifle
I'd like to hear something along the lines of UT1's sniper rifle. Nice crack to it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please please please no! That would be ruining this mod with a MD style weapon.
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

As it's turned out, right now it's more like an automatic burst-firing shotgun. Rather like the MechWarrior AutoCannon.

But either way, since it's a mod, if something turns out to be Teh Suck, then we can change it quickly, especially purely value-based things like damage, kickback, firing speed, ammo usage, etc. Changing those just means flipping a couple of numbers around in a text file, no recompilation needed (and end-users can play with them themselves, actually - it's quite simple).

Meanwhile, it's kind of hard to make balance decisions with major chunks of the gameplay mechanic absent. I think a sniper-rifle-like weapon would work because it's a heck of a lot harder to spot someone in IC than in Ds3 and there's also the potential for building maps with much more cover and concealment.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

No, no, I was talking about the sound. You should hear the UT1 sniper with a fast-fire mutator. It's a short, sharp sound, may go well with a burst-fire matter weapon.