Ship Movement Question

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Ship Movement Question

Post by Skyalmian »

In making the ship move like Descent 1's, is \"keyboard ramping\" (hardcoded controller lag that prevents the ship from responding for X.XX seconds) used or physics weight / momentum to give it the heavy feel? I'd suspect the latter since it's common place today, whereas controller lag was the only solution back in Descent 1's time.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Ship Movement

Post by Floyd »

Skyalmian wrote:(hardcoded controller lag that prevents the ship from responding for X.XX seconds)
acceleration :)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

No, that's...different. Acceleration is instant response, but it's slow and gradual. That's a physics aspect that even Descent 3 had, and was obvious once the keyboard ramping was set to 0. Keyboard ramping is a programmed delay where the ship is prevented from responding to a movement key pressed for a specified amount of time between 0 and 1 seconds. So not only does one put up with internet lag, they put up with their own controller's lag. :P It's just added lag! :oops:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Sky is right. Although, D3 is about the only game I've seen that allows a person to adjust the key ramping from inside the game. Most ramping adjustments that I've seen have pointed to the operating system.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I can't actually notice any ramping in D1/2... I do spot inertia, but pretty much everything has that.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think key ramping became a concern and a preference with D2 later on. The ships in D2 move a bit more sluggishly than they did in D1. If I recall, that's one of the reasons it was added to D3. There were a lot of old keyboards out there still then and not all ramping was the same. It wasn't a concern up till then as games like Quake and Descent and Half Life (fast moving games) were still quite new. There were a number of things added to D3 that were to address issues that were on thier way out within a couple years of it going gold.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Well, if it is in Core Decision, I hope it can be turned off like in Descent 3. I'm not one for such limits.

Awaiting official response.
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

you'll have to wait and find out :)