Advertising on Myspace

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Advertising on myspace?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 12
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Advertising on Myspace

Post by Strife »

I know most of you hate it... But it is a great tool to get more information out and expand it past the present Descent community... Just a thought.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I laugh at Myspace! How do they advertise...they dump ads right on your profile thing? I think game ads are the least of people's worries. Ads for Verizon's crap on the other hand...
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

I hear ya... maybe not even advertising exactly... but setting up a group or page or something to get the word out globaly. Exposure is Exposure.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, FX did that for one of their shows, as long as we can produce a link to a demo, it would be brilliant.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

With over 100,000 sexual predators habiting Myspace... it truely is not worth the effort. Apply your efforts with a less advertising riddled place that is more respectable.

I mean, really... how much do you intentionally ignore on any given myspace page?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

TechPro wrote:With over 100,000 sexual predators habiting Myspace... it truely is not worth the effort. Apply your efforts with a less advertising riddled place that is more respectable.

I mean, really... how much do you intentionally ignore on any given myspace page?
Where did you pull that number out from? Even though I have absolutely no use for myspace, 100,000 sounds a bit inflated to me.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

29,000 is the actual figure of known sex offenders on MySpace, but they're not all molesters. You can get on the sex offender registry simply by allowing your rear end to be seen in public, or taking a whiz in a public place. I'm not sure what percentage of that 29,000 is real, but I'm guessing there's still a good number of them out there.

I would personally go for advertising on a gaming site like IGN or HeavenGames, where there's inherent interest in a new game, instead of a mixed crowd like MySpace.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Advertising on Myspace - or any other medium - could be a good idea if the demographic you're chaisng is both (a) present in large enough numbers to warrant your media investment and (b) open to some receiving some sort of commercial message (some places will never be acceptable for advertising - a confessional being one such example).

Regardless of the medium or the message - you should always speak to a professional before spending any money on online advertising. There are simply too many variables to consider to go about it in a half-arsed fashion ... especially if that money you're going to spend is your own.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

TechPro wrote:I mean, really... how much do you intentionally ignore on any given myspace page?
I don't ever go there, so.... :roll:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:
TechPro wrote:With over 100,000 sexual predators habiting Myspace... it truely is not worth the effort. Apply your efforts with a less advertising riddled place that is more respectable.

Where did you pull that number out from? Even though I have absolutely no use for myspace, 100,000 sounds a bit inflated to me.
Yes, it does seem high, and I wish I had a link to the article where I had seen that (an RSS feed about 4 days ago) but I can't seem to find that article anymore. (yes, I should have made sure I had the data before stating it)

This I did find (linky) where it shows that Myspace has found and purged the accounts of 29,000 sexual predators and banned 7,000 persons. That's a lot less than 100,000 but keep in mind that those are only the ones they've found so far. The actual amount is probably quite a bunch more (sexual predators traditionally don't want to be discovered).