Geocore

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What Psi is trying to say is that he is an average guy who works for a living and loves Descent. He's doing this on the side as he can with very little support.

And he's getting frustrated with the very predicable nay-saying that goes on here. (if you hadn't noticed)

He doesn't work for Epic, or ID or whoever.. He doesn't have 20 to 75 developers at his command.
You all KNOW that a full game with a complete team devoting 60 hour work weeks to it still takes 2 to 3 YEARS.
With 'core there is what.. 4 guys tops? working part time...because they REALLY want to do this. .. not to make tons of money.

Most of you guys have never met Psi. I have. He's very down to earth and is painfully aware of his predicament.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

You guys are awesome :]
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

:roll:

Yaaaaay iconz0rxez are fuuun! Yaaaaay!
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JRock »

Don't let the bastards drag you down, it just feeds their trolling efforts.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

JRock wrote:Don't let the bastards drag you down, it just feeds their trolling efforts.
X2!
There is ALOT of that going around lately! :roll:
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Zach just told me he has been learning the engine, I wonder if that means he will someday produce some code :P
ID
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ID »

Hey psionik, is it possible to post any of the stuff that you showed off during the lan, or is it some where on the net and I just missed it. I know you planned to do that on the CD forum before it got spammed into oblivion.

I know that posting stuff has always brought an onslaught of criticism from a few, but as one of (until now) the silent majority I'm always excited to see signs of progress.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I will gladly compile what video and shots I have and repost them, maybe it will generate some interest.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

I'd like to see this stuff reposted too :)
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

Keep it up psi. Don't pay any attention to these people and just keep chugging along. I may not play anymore but I check back here regularly and I'm always looking for updates on your progress. I know I'll be all over it once you get something going.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

psionik wrote:Whee
Way to be an outright jerk. I think by the looks of your avatar and the way you talk that I am probably dealing with a child so don't expect me to honor your words with responses any more. Obviously you are just a little brat who's antics no real man would do anything but laugh at fondly as they remembered the days when they were young arrogant idiots just like you.
He's a lot older than you think he is.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

psionik wrote:Obviously you are just a little brat who's antics no real man would do anything but laugh at fondly as they remembered the days when they were young arrogant idiots just like you.
You don't know much about me, do you?

Ah well, far be it for me to share a resume. For all those who support the project, please think and care enough to not view things in black-and-white. I'm not "against" the project. I'm not "hating" on the project. I'm not a "troll" or a "bloodsucker." And I certainly don't want to be "on your jock."

I am, however, a realist.

As a realist, I am strongly criticizing your project.

Like anyone else, I love to see deserving mods and full-on games succeed. I would welcome Geocore as a game. However, I've been around long enough to know when a proposal is simply overambitious and unrealistic. These are words creative people don't always want to hear, myself included, but they are words that have to be said.

There are unsung heroes in the Descent community who really are making a difference to prolong the life of our favorite game. DarkFlameWolf and her vignettes project is bringing together several level builders for an exciting new D2 campaign. Zero! holds his tournaments in D3 in the Descent Multiplayer forum. Zico works to build a better, more stable D2 for all of us. Richard Cranium graciously provides hosting for this forum.

The list goes on and I can't possibly mention them all. But they all have one thing in common: they do it for the love of the game. They don't throw fits when they don't get their way. And they don't have hungry egos to feed.

And while it may not be as sexy or glorious as making a brand new game on a brand new engine, their contributions can, will, and have made a lasting impact. An impact that is tangible and real. Suffice it to say, yours can be too if you bring your goals back down to Earth. The course you are on is not the best one you can involve yourself with, in my assessment. It's one thing to have ideas. Anyone can dream big. Ideas are truly a dime a dozen. It's the people who know how to rationally act on them who will succeed. The challenge is how to rein in your ideas to create a viable, realistic plan for how to execute them. I would posit that your best course of action is to take the ideas you have and try to build a D2 or D3 campaign out of them. We're all more than willing to help and give advice on something of that nature. But this whole notion of starting from scratch, building an entire game engine, for the purpose of recreating the fun of Descent - I fail to see the point.

But that is not my call to make, Psi. You are the one who has to do the self-evaluation.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Maybe if we all threw a couple bucks in to help this game get going... Lets see we all gave Jay cotton 20 bucks how many years ago... why not get a lil fund raiser for psi and the whole project in general... I would be willing to drop 20 bones... and Im broke as crap right now! No strings attached... But maybe a thank you to the descent community on the thank yous :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

actually Strife, he needs hands more than money. And folks that are willing to follow a plan and follow through with it. (and yes, deal with personalities :))
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you are thinking of throwing money at it to fix it, at least throw an amount that will actually accomplish something. A few million dollars to allow them to actually hire some full time workers and lease some space for them to work in. What is holding up the project is obviously a severe lack of time, manpower and expertise, just $20 here or there isn't going to fix that.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I don't care either way about this thread, at least nothing I'm willing to debate, but Krom, could you and psion add a few carriage returns to your line of faces...? I have to scroll over to the side to read the other posts...
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

d3jake wrote:I don't care either way about this thread, at least nothing I'm willing to debate, but Krom, could you and psion add a few carriage returns to your line of faces...? I have to scroll over to the side to read the other posts...
lol
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Don't blame me, it wrapped fine before psion quoted it...
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Im not even going to bother breaking down your post kyo. Im just going to say that once again it is so full of assumptions about me and this project that I will never be able to believe you have the clarity of mind to offer me any sort of real input. You act as though you know what my plans are and in fact I haven posted them clearly here for all to see yet you still seem to be unable to absorb the information. Then you take your faulty assessment and place it here as if it is some sort of golden judgement of the state of my affairs when you do not have the slightest inkling and to my perception all you've accomplished yourself so far is getting me to waste my time in this useless fashion producing nothing whatsoever. From nothing comes nothing. Keep your nothing to yourself. Astonishing again how deeply you can criticize something you have no intention of actually helping with and not realize how blatantly obvious it is that you have nothing but bad intentions based on the sum of your interaction with me. I knew when I told you to evaluate yourself that you would be unable to do so and would simply regurgitate it back at me because if you were actually able to percieve yourself you would never act like this, either that or you are fully aware that your actions are completely negative and you still persist in some demonic fashion to judge something you have no business opening your mouth about. Do not try to compare my efforts with the efforts of the people you know and put them between us. You addressed the project that I am currently working on. You have introduced many falsehoods into the story and I refuse to act like they are true and honor your false assessment and judgement of the project I am working on. I do not understand why you continue to reply with your words that are completely useless because they are founded in false knowledge. You must be utterly unware that you have made up a large portion of the things you attribute to me and this project. It's okay though, I understand. Its what most people do. They speak and don't think. They think things and then act on them like they're real. We effectively create our own realities every moment of the day, but you're not going to create mine. Its right here if you want the real reality. Do not judge others by your own limited perception of what is possible. Lesson learned? Probably not.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Sirius wrote:
psionik wrote:Whee
Way to be an outright jerk. I think by the looks of your avatar and the way you talk that I am probably dealing with a child so don't expect me to honor your words with responses any more. Obviously you are just a little brat who's antics no real man would do anything but laugh at fondly as they remembered the days when they were young arrogant idiots just like you.
He's a lot older than you think he is.
You can do something the wrong way for 100 years.

Including growing up. Not my fault if his mind froze at 19 forever, I call em as I see em. Keep in mind that at no point have I said I was perfect. I have a job to do and I'm going to do it. I shouldn't even take the time to engage in this embarrassing behavior but I do not like random people that do not know me trying to assess me. Call it a peeve. My personal intentions are never anything but good and I expect the same out of everyone. Hear Hear? Thought so.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Krom wrote:Don't blame me, it wrapped fine before psion quoted it...

Yeah your 5000 icons had absolutely nothing to do with it. If you were so supremely gifted of intellect and endowed with extra time as to be able to calculate how many icons it takes to reach the exact end of the page then perhaps also you could have calculated how many icons you needed to subtract in order for the unknown number of possible subsequent quotes of your post to display properly. Jackass :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Hey I honestly checked to make sure it wouldn't stretch the page when I posted it, if it had I would have edited in some breaks right then. :P I'd love to take credit for making you fall for my devilishly awesome super brilliant forum trap, but I had no idea it would quit wrapping the images if someone quoted it. :P

You need to chill out a bit, rather than taking every single post (even if it is just a bunch of funny icons) as if it is some flame directed at you. Because of course everyone knows the Internet is Serious Business. Loser. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:lol:
AlumiuN
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by AlumiuN »

At this point, I would like to ask whether some of you are actually trying to aggrivate the rest of us. To be honest, I think all this bickering is pointless. Yes, it might facilitate long posts that make you look smart, but is voicing your lack of confidence in a game really necessary? I agree with the cat - this is supposed to be serious, and you are taking the **** out of someone for no real reason.
That's all I have to say. *sits down quietly*
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Krom wrote:Hey I honestly checked to make sure it wouldn't stretch the page when I posted it, if it had I would have edited in some breaks right then. :P I'd love to take credit for making you fall for my devilishly awesome super brilliant forum trap, but I had no idea it would quit wrapping the images if someone quoted it. :P

You need to chill out a bit, rather than taking every single post (even if it is just a bunch of funny icons) as if it is some flame directed at you. Because of course everyone knows the Internet is Serious Business. Loser. :)
I only respond to what's directed at me. I gave everyone's post what they deserved in response, including yours bud. Don't try to buy back your unamusing actions under the guise of me overreacting. You're a big boy, you can take your medicine just like all the other sickos that think it's cool to jump on me.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Right, I think I will decline taking that poison.

In the future maybe I will just ignore you entirely instead of lightening things up a bit by making sport of your obsessive compulsion to reply with great zeal to every single thing people say about your project...or not.

Because you know, losing your calm, humor, friends and objectivity over stuff that happens on the Internet is so entertai-err so mature. Doctor psion. :roll:
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Krom wrote:Right, I think I will decline taking that poison.

In the future maybe I will just ignore you entirely instead of lightening things up a bit by making sport of your obsessive compulsion to reply with great zeal to every single thing people say about your project...or not.

Because you know, losing your calm, humor, friends and objectivity over stuff that happens on the Internet is so entertai-err so mature. Doctor psion. :roll:
So much cliche and melodrama noone but a sheep could possibly think anything worthy of this. A disappointing effort.

You obviously do not know me, and I am disappointed to see you say that I have lost calm, humor, friends, or objectivity because you have no way of possibly knowing any of that. Also.. If this is all fake stuff that happens on the magical internet and I am overreacting to it for your amusement then how have I lost those things? Are they in the internet too? You contradict yourself. You also judge based on your incomplete perceptions. If I choose to reply to something, that is totally my business and it is not your place to attempt to belittle my actions. Next time you are tempted to ignore me, go with it instead of attempting to put me in my place when you had no business opening your craw to start with since you had nothing positive to input.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

psionik wrote:I only respond to what's directed at me. I gave everyone's post what they deserved in response, including yours bud. Don't try to buy back your unamusing actions under the guise of me overreacting. You're a big boy, you can take your medicine just like all the other sickos that think it's cool to jump on me.
I think Psi needs a cookie.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

well... it looks like this thread's run it's course.

Psion: please stop being so defensive.