Core Decision \"delayed until 2007\"

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Core Decision \"delayed until 2007\"

Post by Mobius »

Sad. But True.

Sad because, in my view \"2007\" is a code-word for \"never\". *sigh*

Once upon a time I was an optimist. Really, I was.

My signature seems appropriate somehow:

----------------------------
How many escape pods are there? \"NONE, SIR!\" You counted them? \"TWICE, SIR!\"
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

And your source is?

EDIT: Ok, read the post on CDs site. So it's been delayed. What game hasn't been delayed?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Core Decision \"delayed until 2007\"

Post by zbriggs »

Mobius wrote:Sad. But True.

Sad because, in my view "2007" is a code-word for "never". *sigh*
I'm not sure how delaying the game's release by a few months translates into never happening. This is just plain being negative, a great deal of games delay now days. We didn't even try to come up with some big elaborate reason as to why we delayed, we just stated the facts.

I don't know why we wouldn't release a game that we have spent thousands of dollars creating, licensed mainstream technology, signed agreements with publishers, sponsors, investors, and just hired 5 new staff members.

Additionally, not too long ago we allowed people an inside view of the development process. This included live sessions observing the editor, the coding, scripting, some in-game work, as well as a basic tech demo.

Some of these people have even posted reviews on this section of the boards.

This attitude isn't going to encourage people to develop and publish this game. Keep it up tough guy, keep punishing the companies that try to help. You will continue to get the result. Now I'm truly sorry that other companies in the past have disappointed you but you know what, THAT WAS THEM. Let it go or you will create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you have a problem or would like to know how things are going or where things stand then call us. We leave our selves available to the public for this reason. Don't start talking smack and trying to bring down the excited fans.

On a side note, I have found that many people outside the U.S. can't call our toll-free's. This will be remedied but until then I will leave my messengers as well as try to be on the DBB teamspeak server.

Sincerely,
Zachary Briggs, Executive Producer
HighOctane Software
(866)328-1886
zach@highoctane.biz

AIM: zb120837
YIM: zbriggs2001
MSN: zachbriggs@hotmail.com
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Big deal. Just because a game has been delayed doesn't mean its not coming out. Do you realize how hard it is to plan out a schedule, and STICK to it? Believe it or not Mobi-troll, things do come up that can radically alter plans. Quite frankly, I'm just damn glad that its coming out. I'm not going to complain about release dates. All good things come to those whom wait. Have patience young padiwan.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Regardless how big or small a developing company is there are all ways complication at some point. What HO is doing no different from any other major developer. So the game got pushed back a little. Live with it.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: Core Decision \"delayed until 2007\"

Post by KoolBear »

Mobius wrote:Sad. But True.
Once upon a time I was an optimist. Really, I was.
b]
I find this statement difficult to digest, never since I have known you Mobious. Instead of supporting people you tend to belittle them, too bad you won't read this.

I've never known a game to be released at the first scheduled release date.

But the point is your negativity, how would you feel if you had to stand in front a group of your peers and announce that a project that you've put your heart into is going to slip a few months, tell me do you know the exact reasons for the delay? And does it really matter to you? Now I'm sure you won't read this thread but that's because you tend to ★■◆● and get.

Zach and company, I look forward to your efforts, let's not a few bousterious wantabees screw it up for those of us pulling for you!

Thanks for tanking the time and share with us things that you don't have to :) I for one apprecaite your honesty and openess to the Descent Community in general.

KB
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Heck, it took me 6 months to put together a simple Howto for installing Linux D3 with Windows CD's... and it was only about an 8 hour day's work! Yeah, I had a hurricane slow me down, but man, stuff happens. I'm all about supporting game developers, especially when they're building something as cool as the next sequel to the best video game ever.

And honestly, I'm stoked about it, I''m willing to wait because I know it'll be worth it. And it'll run in Linux, to boot!

Some things are just worth the wait.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I would be lieing if I said I was surprised by this, to be blunt, I was pratically expecting a delay, every video game worth playing that I know of was delayed from the initial dates set at the start of the project.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I'm half tempted to just kill the post... but now that I think about it, I won't.

Instead i'm going to reply to it.

I've seen many, many games state a release date and then watch it pushed back to a later date. The same goes for hardware and consoles. Now if what mobius said was true, we wouldn't see any of those.

But they did see the light of day.

So i'm not sure how you could extrapolate and disseminate such a baseless and incendiary accusation using almost zero information.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Any game company will be forced to make such choices based on myriad problems, concerns, or marketing decisions. Whether it is delayed or how long is irrelevant to those that really want to see the Core Decision project succeed.

I, for one, am painfully excited at the potential of this game. Let's all stay positive and give it the support it deserves. If it's good, it's worth waiting for, and everything I've heard gives me the feeling that it will be.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

XBOX 360 was delayed, released, then delayed and pulled from shelves to be re-released. Are you saying that XBOX 360 is never gonna happen too? :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

How long has Twilight Princess been pushed back from its original release date? And does anyone honestly think it won't be released just because of that? :P

Keep up the great work, Zach & Co. We'll all (or mostly) be patiently (or impatiently) awaiting the release. :)
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Why is everyone astonished when Mobius is just being Mobius?

Maybe he hasn't scored any good ewe lately.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

De Rigueur wrote:Why is everyone astonished when Mobius is just being Mobius?

Maybe he hasn't scored any good ewe lately.
because he managed to outdo himself in the stupidity department. :)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I'm a big fan of \"Stronghold\", a castle sim game. When I heard they were coming out with \"Stronghold II\", I was VERY excited.

Unfortunantly, the \"Business\" side of the company apparently told the \"software\" side that they could NOT delay the games release by a few months. The advertising was out and the game was to be released by a certain date no matter what. Even if it wasn't FINISHED yet.

And the game came out buggy. Not just a few little bugs, but so badly buggy that, according to reports, it was actually unplayable on many machines until the first patch came out, and three patches later it STILL has issues.

A lot of the loyal customer base was alianated, the reviews that had been so good of the beta (they expected a few bugs) turned WAY south when the game was released and they found the bugs hadn't been fixed. And overall, I would say that the companies reputation has taken a MAJOR hit.

Me, I never forked over a penny for the game after reading on the forums the details of the terrible problems it had. I may buy it when it's on the $10 cheapo rack.

And all of that because the \"business\" thought it was wiser to hit the deadline than to delay just a few months and let the software side actually complete the project and produce good, solid, bug free code.

So to me, I see this delay as a VERY positive sign. The Core Decision team is obviously being allowed to do the WORK they need to do, instead of being told that \"releasing an unfinished project is just fine, people will buy it anyway.\"

It looks to me like CD is making the decision to release a QUALITY project to us, and if that takes a little bit longer, so be it. I'll happily wait.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

As has been said many times by many people throughout the Descent/CD community, a late game that works beats out an on-time game with more bugs than a dirty bathroom.

Mobius, shut up. Zach & Co, keep up the good work!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Remember Duke Nukem Forever? :P

I have not seen anything to get me excited about the game so I'm not holding my breath. It is supposedly going to run on linux as well but they are using C#? A few things just don't add up. Those are just my feelings.

But hey, I love the song in the downloads section! I really hope it does come out and that I'm around when it does to notice it. :)
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by zbriggs »

Xamindar wrote:It is supposedly going to run on linux as well but they are using C#? A few things just don't add up. Those are just my feelings.
This is an example of an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume.

He probably drew his conclusion from a chat log or from our job posting located here.

viewtopic.php?t=9236

Please observe the usage of C# on this chart.

http://img2.postimage.org/forums/dbb_vo ... ngine.html

Now, note that we only use the C# language for scripting. It doesn't need to be compiled, also note that we use python. XBOX uses Linux underneath, I.E. it would be odd not to be able to support Linux after an XBOX release.

Also, you may want to look into this before you pass judgment.

http://www.mono-project.com/CSharp_Compiler

Zach
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I probably spoke in ignorance. But I just wish you would listen to your fans and provide screenshots or something.

I don't think anybody is going to go off and \"create\" a game to rival yours and steal the spotlight by launching it before you. (That's the only reason I can think that you wouldn't release more info/screenies) :)

I really do hope you get it out. What part of 2007 was it pushed back to? I couldn't find it on the site.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Oh yea of little faith, we will get some screen shots. I know these guys want to give us some as bad as we want them.

But there's a problem with that too, because what I like may not appeal to you. So putting screen shots out is like judging a book by it's cover.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Xamindar, I talk with Zach pretty frequenty. While I haven't seen any material, from what I've overheard....you guys are in for a big shock. :) (When I say talk, I don't mean via IM. I'm referring to via Teamspeak.) He isn't blowing smoke people. This game IS going to happen, one way or another. I would not be putting this much support behind this game if I had any doubt.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

This is really a lot of talk about nothing, someone just tell me where to send my $$$ to reserve my copy.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Krom wrote:This is really a lot of talk about nothing, someone just tell me where to send my $$$ to reserve my copy.
X2
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

KoolBear wrote:
Krom wrote:This is really a lot of talk about nothing, someone just tell me where to send my $$$ to reserve my copy.
X2
x3. There's a very good chance that my system won't even be able to run CD when it comes out, but that won't stop me from buying a copy as soon as possible. Just having it sitting around would be enough motivation for me to do the necessary upgrades. :)
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

The release date is still TBD, we aren't done deciding the full amount of time it will take to get everything, including platforms to release state.

As for system upgrades, this is something we have kicked around in the company a lot over the months. We are thinking about creating upgrade packages, four levels of systems, and three levels of laptops.

Obviously we wouldn't be the actually store providing them we would just be a vendor. They would however be custom branded by us and they would have to meet our requirements for quality and design.

Zach
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im really looking forward to this game. And im kinda glad it got pushed back as far as it did too because now I got more time for an opportunity to intern at HO. :D
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I have also thrown my efforts behind this project. I've even signed an NDA with High Octane months ago.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

MD-2389 wrote:While I haven't seen any material, from what I've overheard....you guys are in for a big shock. :)
Judging by the reception of the previous material, HO is probably waiting until they get it commercial release quality before showing us.
zbriggs wrote:As for system upgrades, this is something we have kicked around in the company a lot over the months. We are thinking about creating upgrade packages, four levels of systems, and three levels of laptops.
Packages for us or for yourselves?

Also, by 4 levels of systems, are you talking about upgrade packages designed specifically for CD, multiple versions of CD(which is a terrible ides), or something completely different?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to sound rude, but is english not your first language?

Zach is talking about COMPUTER SYSTEMS, not different versions of the game. This would allow people to play the game without suffering like some people did when they installed D3 on low-spec systems (at that time).
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

MD-2389 wrote:Not to sound rude, but is english not your first language?
English is my first language, and I took English Honours throughout highschool(though that isn't saying much, there was a Russian, a Farsi, and a couple Polish people for whom English was a second language).
MD-2389 wrote:Zach is talking about COMPUTER SYSTEMS, not different versions of the game. This would allow people to play the game without suffering like some people did when they installed D3 on low-spec systems (at that time).
My original question, although I edited from it, addressed this. I edited it because I thought that the idea of a game manufacturer building computers designed specifically for one game in particular wasn't likely.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Yes, we are talking about computer systems, laptops, desktops, and upgrade packages.
pipsqueak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak »

Based on responses to this thread,

Zbriggs 1, Mobius 0

Put me on one of those pre release reservation thingys when its close to Game Release Time!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

zbriggs: my advice, as an engineer who is asked to estimate how long it will take me to do things all the time- take what you think is a realistic guess at how long it will all take, triple it, and make that the official time you have left.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Actually we did that. Thanks for the reminder though.
DKnight
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DKnight »

Hey... I'm not gonna complain about anything. Zach... Keep up the great work! All good things come in time. You just need patience. There's also other games you can play in the meantime... Like some more Descent! :P