The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:...are you being deliberately ★■◆●ing obtuse? YOU SAID that someone called you a Nazi for disagreeing with them. Right ★■◆●ing here:
IE: 'I don't like what you've said from fifteen years ago so you're a NAZI!' (yes this actually happened, but i'm sworn not to repeat the details).
Okay. First, you missed the fact I wasn't talking about myself. It was a paraphrasing of an incident that happened in the states and I was privy to inside information. Second, it's not an isolated case as you say, it's actually a pervasive and toxic viewpoint that's taken hold - juxtaposed by what's been happening on more than one campus. Disagree with someone on an idea, call them a nazi; or xenophobe; or racist; or <insert caustic statement here>. Or have them barred from speaking at your campus or function. Do try to keep up.
Oh, and I missed the part where "rape culture" was something that only exists on college campuses, because that would be a batshit insane thing to say. Care to enlighten me where that's coming from?
It is a batshit insane thing to believe in, but given the fact you agreed with the letter right after I posted it is telling me that you are turning a blind eye to the batshit.

Rape culture is an idea coined in the 1970's by second wave feminists and was used very judiciously, but has now been turned into a weapon for censorship and hysteria.

And I'm not the only one saying this. In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

/mic drop

---------------------
Ferno, I also don't believe in a rape culture on campus. But I think the real problem in college campuses is the partying and accompanied alcohol use and abuse, which does lead to an increased opportunity for rapes to be committed against women, in the right settings and circumstances.
Colleges and Universities have been this way since the frat house was invented. We can discuss possible solutions in a different thread.

But right now, here's some more stupid for you.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... a-11143338
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What do you think of this Ferno? Did the Obama Administration's Campus Sex Assault Rules go a little too far, as our current Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, believes? As much as I think she's a Trump flake, I think she's right in this case, that those rules went a little too far by depriving the rights of the accused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/d ... -rape.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Little late in the night for me to chew on that, but I found this gem

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/knwa/wh ... t-this-law

it's like.. holy ★■◆●.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, we've got one of those scumbags. An infamous Corvallis slumlord doing business under several names in the past as Bula Enterprises or The Red Door Realty and now as Rising Realty. :roll:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... 03286.html

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2006/07/342107.shtml

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/corvall ... g-kip-scho

http://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2015/r ... ttle-else/

But I've got a winner from Alex Jones. Trump has even praised this guy like he's the most knowledgeable person since Einstein. Maybe now, not so much.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.s ... d_say.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat wrote:What do you think of this Ferno? Did the Obama Administration's Campus Sex Assault Rules go a little too far, as our current Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, believes? As much as I think she's a Trump flake, I think she's right in this case, that those rules went a little too far by depriving the rights of the accused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/d ... -rape.html

Okay, now I can jump into this.

First off, the idea of rewriting the rules to protect both the accused and the accuser is a good step, and it's sort of like our justice system. But without seeing the plan in detail, I can only offer a few surface thoughts. If the rules account for presumtion of innocence before guilt, then it will be a benefit for all involved. It should cut down on the frivolous and fabricated cases, and it should raise the bar for evidence presented. As for the response posted y Mr. Duncan, I think he benefits from the frivolity. To what end, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is, if you have the wrongly accused attempting (and sometimes succeeding in) suicide, that is a huge indicator of a problem.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Like you said, I'd also like to see the details of her change in the rules. I agree that if justice is to be served in any criminal case, the accused needs to have a presumption of innocence. The only problem on the victim side is, women generally tend to be put through an embarrassing ringer during the investigation and in court whenever they make a rape accusation. However, I'm not blind to the fact that the opposite is sometimes true, that some women will use a fake rape accusation as a means to destroy an innocent man's reputation and life. There needs to be a happy medium for both sides in all this.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

So what if they are put through some embarrassment? The courts' job is to find out the truth and embarrassment doesn't even factor into it.

Being in court is brutal, ugly and vicious. People go into a rage. People break down crying. But it needs to be done to serve justice.

-------------------------

Hey, let's fight anything that might help strengthen the power grid in case of disaster and ban anyone from using their own power source, because reasons!

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami ... ma-9666311
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Is it assault if you shoot a woman on her naked butt with a paintball gun while she's taking a crap on your lawn? :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A taser would probably be more effective and memorable, if not quite as long lasting.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't know. A paintball impact leaves a pretty nasty raised bruise. In the right spot, she wouldn't be able to sit down for weeks. :lol:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

SJW's crying... like a ★■◆●.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You have a bizarre infatuation with this don't you.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

If you mean logic, then yes. If you mean treating people like decent human beings, then yes. If you mean not subscribing to being offended for the sake of feeling better, then yes. If you mean treating adults like thinking, rational beings, then yes. If you mean treating differences of opinion as differences of opinion rather than labeling it as hate speech because you simply disagree, then yes. If you mean not being so thin skinned that I need a 'safe space', then yes. If you mean wanting people to express their opinions without being the target of a vile counterattack that includes violence aimed at silencing them, then yes.

Take note: here's a person who is attacking people around her, yet she's asking for donations. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being called a racist just because you're white, even when you haven't been racist in any way to anyone.

Victim complex? Yes. Pigeonholing an entire race? Yes. Trying to force people into feeling guilty? Yes. This kind of stuff would be laughed out of the room if it was in high school.

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nice. That's a good one - a real facepalmer.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:If you mean logic, then yes. If you mean treating people like decent human beings, then yes. If you mean not subscribing to being offended for the sake of feeling better, then yes. If you mean treating adults like thinking, rational beings, then yes. If you mean treating differences of opinion as differences of opinion rather than labeling it as hate speech because you simply disagree, then yes. If you mean not being so thin skinned that I need a 'safe space', then yes. If you mean wanting people to express their opinions without being the target of a vile counterattack that includes violence aimed at silencing them, then yes.

Take note: here's a person who is attacking people around her, yet she's asking for donations. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being called a racist just because you're white, even when you haven't been racist in any way to anyone.

Victim complex? Yes. Pigeonholing an entire race? Yes. Trying to force people into feeling guilty? Yes. This kind of stuff would be laughed out of the room if it was in high school.

Ferno wrote:Man, this should have been in the 'stupid' thread. It would make for a great contribution.

The dissonance she's showing is hilarious. "I'll insult you but give me money!'
Well, if NS had put it here in the first place, I'd have left it here. Now you've made him happy all over again. :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat wrote:Well, if NS had put it here in the first place, I'd have left it here. Now you've made him happy all over again. :wink:

Yup, that's what he should have done.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Top Gun wrote:You have a bizarre infatuation with this don't you.
I agree it's pretty bizarre. Take a small number of people and rant about them over and over and over again in order to make create a problem that isn't there. Seems to be talking tips from TB.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.

And here's a little gem. Facepalm points go to Melissa Click for trying to get people to muscle a student reporter from a safe space that was a public area.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/er ... uad-clash/

And she got a nice little suspension for her bout of stupid.
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... ou/432564/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Ferno wrote:Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.
I work on a college campus and also attend classes. Never seen a safe space. In fact, I've never even met a stereotypical SJW. Not sure why you think SJWs are a problem outside of the attention they get from Internet forums. You're as bad as ThunderBunny with this garbage. Go ahead and keep posting the same two year old incident of this apparent epidemic.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... 0892a.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/teens/index.s ... dings.html
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Tunnelcat wrote:We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.
Emphasis on little. Also, this is a good thing. Names have meanings. I wouldn't want to attend the Jeffrey Dahmer School of Culinary Arts and I can understand why some people would be upset about attending a school named after a slave owner.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

vision wrote:
Ferno wrote:Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.
I work on a college campus and also attend classes. Never seen a safe space. In fact, I've never even met a stereotypical SJW. Not sure why you think SJWs are a problem outside of the attention they get from Internet forums. You're as bad as ThunderBunny with this garbage. Go ahead and keep posting the same two year old incident of this apparent epidemic.
You're lucky in the sense that you haven't had to deal with it.

Call me whatever you want. I don't care. Believe what you want. I don't care. This thread isn't about what you think it is.

I'm still going to post stunningly stupid things that makes people facepalm because that what this thread is about. And we're going to keep laughing at it because.. it's stunningly stupid. And if that stuff includes made up problems that don't actually exist, it goes here.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Ok, thanks for getting us back on track, Ferno. Let the truly stupid shine!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

vision wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.
Emphasis on little. Also, this is a good thing. Names have meanings. I wouldn't want to attend the Jeffrey Dahmer School of Culinary Arts and I can understand why some people would be upset about attending a school named after a slave owner.
I agree on that point, no one wants to credit evil people with their name on some college building. But hell, the county I live in is named after a white supremacist, U.S. Sen. Thomas Hart Benton. How far to you go to purge names like this? The magnitude of just changing the names would be a colossal undertaking. In fact, Oregon was pretty much founded by white supremacists and racists, so even if we wanted to, we couldn't wipe out that dirty little history no matter how much we tried to scrub their names from places, streets and buildings.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Tunnelcat wrote:How far to you go to purge names like this?
You go as far as you need it. Entire countries have changed their names. Istanbul has had a few names. They change when culture changes. We are overdue for some culture change.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You'd have a hell of a fight on your hands, especially from those diehard Americans of white European descent, who's predecessors were commonly racists and white supremacists. History has a certain degree of inertia and tribalism built in as well. However, I agree it's something to be considered, at least in some cases. I know that India did it just to purge a lot of the British colonial names from their cities. For instance, Mumbai used to be Bombay.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard as a reason for pooping on someone's lawn in broad daylight. :lol:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Holy crap, I'm speechless.

https://www.wired.com/story/doj-nominee ... alth-fund/

Take your bull★■◆● and shove it up your ass, Bell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-pi ... -1.4308068
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...how is that stupid? The idea of a simulated universe has been around for decades as both a sci-fi trope and a philosophical exercise, and the question of how one might be able to identify it from within has some fun implications.

Also, unsurprisingly given the source, that link woefully undersells the original journal article.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:Also, unsurprisingly given the source, that link woefully undersells the original journal article.
Look at you, finding the stupidity. For me the idea that our observable sphere is a simulation is pretty absurd -- just take a look at what it takes Folding@Home to simulate single proteins to fold, a process that happens billions of times every second in our bodies.

Kind of funny to spin the whole idea a bit further tho -- assuming that the Universe is the "computer" running the simulation, what does that make the "programmer" ?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I don't buy the simulaton idea at all, but just wondered what the reference to proteins folding was about. The process might seem marvelous, but to a biochemist almost pre-ordained chemically, in situ. What was the issue with the folks trying to simulate the process.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"