Spreading for dollars

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I don't like it when people smoke, but exposure to smoking doesn't mean I have "smoke disease" for life. Yes, you can get cancer from second hand smoke, but more likely than not you won't if you're not continuously exposed to it. Getting HIV is different, once you've been exposed to it you have it, for life, and it will probably kill you. Image

Edit: Besides, the one and only thing good about this damn state of New York is that smoking is not legal in doors Image
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

oops, I did miss that part Tyranny.

We need to keep prostitution illegal because without it there would be no need for a popular american icon: Pimps!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I think Topher wants it illegal because he thinks he might sleep with somebody without knowing their medical and sexual history Image

Hes a swinger baby, yeah!

Truth be told, Will was right, under legalized prostitution in Nevada you're much more likely to get an STD from an illegal whore in another state then you are from them.

Topher, you keep defending your point of view with the assumption that if it became legal you would be at an immediate risk of contracting an STD. If it were legal everywhere it would be no more a danger to you now then it was when it was illegal.

I don't know of too many people that would just willingly go out and sell their bodies for money as a living but *shrug*, there are some adventurous people out there.

There is a cure for HIV and Magic Johnson has it, I know it!

Woodchip had a point too, why let the gay community in the US, the community most afflicted with HIV and AIDS be able to continue their sexual exploits legally, but straight women can't sell their goods for cash Image oh right.....it's an issue of love Image anyone ever watched atleast one episode of "Queer as Folk"? If that is the gay male lifestyle then those people hump everything that moves of the same gender Image For free or for cash Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tyranny:
<b>
Truth be told, Will was right, under legalized prostitution in Nevada you're much more likely to get an STD from an illegal whore in another state then you are from them.

Topher, you keep defending your point of view with the assumption that if it became legal you would be at an immediate risk of contracting an STD. If it were legal everywhere it would be no more a danger to you now then it was when it was illegal.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If that were the case then there would be no point to legalizing it! I would hope the point of legalizing it would be to make it safer (like legalizing abortion).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3"><b>
I don't know of too many people that would just willingly go out and sell their bodies for money as a living but *shrug*, there are some adventurous people out there.
If that were the case then this argument would be a moot point.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3"><b>
There is a cure for HIV and Magic Johnson has it, I know it!
No, Magic Johnson may have no sign of the virus in his system, but if he were to go off the medication it would come back. Now is he still able to transmit the disease? I don't know.

More likely than not we will get a vaccine first, vaccinate everyone that doesn't have it and the virus will go away as the infected either die or cannot pass it on anymore.

Woodchip had a point too, why let the gay community in the US, the community most afflicted with HIV and AIDS be able to continue their sexual exploits legally, but straight women can't sell their goods for cash Image oh right.....it's an issue of love Image anyone ever watched atleast one episode of "Queer as Folk"? If that is the gay male lifestyle then those people hump everything that moves of the same gender Image For free or for cash Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You tell me, I don't know. I'm not about to stereotype who is more at risk for getting HIV. It is easier for a man to give it to someone else, that doesn't mean the "gay community" is the sole people to blame.

Let me shift this debate a bit, I'm question the logistics of the whole situation. So prostitution is legalized, how do we ensure that everyone is disease free?

The problem, I think, is in the testing. It takes 6 months after exposure to HIV to test positive for it. There are newer tests that may be able to detect it earlier, but it still isn't a "I had sex last night, now test me." You can't even determine pregnancy that fast.

Assumeing that all legal prostitutes are clean, how do you ensure that a customer is clean? You could wait six months and test him, but how do you know he will obstain from sex during that time? (Or isn't lying when he says he hasn't had sex for 6 months?). Then, after a prostitute is "used", how do you routinely test her? So she gets HIV at one point, then you have up to 6 months worth of customers that could have gotten it. That's where the whole catalyst thing comes in, the hub has the disease, meaning that everyone that's used it could have it.

And what about other diseases? Herpes is much more contageous than HIV (though it won't kill you, only babies). I don't know how early you can test for that, but a condom won't completely protect against it.

I don't know too much about hepatitus, but my guess is it's about as contageous as HIV.

Other diseases like GC/Clamydia/Syphillus are curable so there's no need to argue those.

So argue logistics with me, how can you solve the "6 month waiting period" problem?

And yes I would want to know someone's sexual history first, I'd even make them get tested. Image
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Will Robinson:
I think the only reason prostitution is illegal is the people who make the rules are for the most part men, and most of them have always been married so they would have to face their wives if they supported the legalization of a service that would ratify infidelity</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually...

I think the only reason prostitution is illegal is the people who make the rules are for the most part men, and most of them have always been married so they would have to face their wives becoming prostitutes if they supported the legalization of a service that would ratify infidelity.

for real.

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Topher, can't you apply your argument to more things than prostitution? What's your legal stance on sex outside of marriage? And how is it different than prostitution from anything other than a scale standpoint (using your STD reasoning)?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Instead of 'legalizing' it, and going through all the BS, just drop the law from the books. All it does is generate revenue for the state...that's why it is still illegal.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Tetrad:
Topher, can't you apply your argument to more things than prostitution? What's your legal stance on sex outside of marriage? And how is it different than prostitution from anything other than a scale standpoint (using your STD reasoning)?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think scale is the whole point though. It's how many people are having sex with a prostitute that increases the risk (a person passing from one prostitute to another is almost like copying the sexual history from one to another).

In a perfect world, if everyone waited to sex until they were married, we wouldn't have HIV (only one sex partner means you can't spread it from one person to another). But I'm not going to take a stance on it one way or the other; I don't know all the risks and benefits of marriage. Someone with more experience would have to enlighten me.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Palzon:
<b> Actually...
so they would have to face their wives becoming prostitutes
Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadn't thought of that angle, might be closer to the heart of things!
Brings a whole new meaning to the working mom.

Imagine career day at school...or 'Bring your Daughters to Work Day' Image

I could go for teaching 'How to be a good prostitute 101' at the college level. A classroom full of young, eager to learn girls and me as professor! "OK girls, pop quiz time. Everyone on your knees!"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So lets see here. I meet a cutie at the bar, buy her drinks, then suggest we go out and get something to eat and thus buy her dinner and then take her home where we ultimately end up in the sack. I've just spent 100 bucks to get laid, yet that is legal. I go to the local truck stop and wave 50.00 around and get one of the local working girls to lift her skirt and I'm guilty of a crime.
Whats wrong with this picture?
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

also, i'm surprised that no one has mentioned woody's date could still give him the clap whether she is a hooker or not.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

realistically, nobody really enforces the laws on prostitution. it just happens to be that prostitutes are usually associated with major drugs (heroine, cocaine, etc) and it is the biggest reason that they aren't just ignored. if prostitutes were all 4.0 students who were trying to fund their education, you wouldn't see them on shows like cops.

this may not be true everywhere though. i have seen prostitutes arrested up close, but i've also seen them ignored. the one's who were arrested were the ones who were associated with drug dealers or other wanted individuals. where i live, the prostitutes that are arrested are arrested because they've done or know something that the police can't legally get them for. you arrest them for something minor, and let them go for information on something major. maybe its differnt in other places though, this really isn't a heavily infested area, prostitute-wise.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

So why does COPS put up "traps" with fake prostitutes trying to catch people who want "service"?
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

the prostitutes you see on cops are the cokeheads who get on jerry springer. its more entertaining to watch them get arrested than someone who cooperates and goes quietly. why do you think they never show that stuff on cops? cause nobody would watch Image only the extreme cases make it on tv.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well the little lesbo "scores" bigtime:

"According to her website, bidding closed at £8,400 on Sunday, with the winner to be contacted by 11 February."

What do ya think? A movie maybe?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i'd be a lesbian if i were a woman. why would you want some ape pumping his cheese into you... 'parish the thought'.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

because its better then some butch woman humping you with a lubricated latex strap-on? Image
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

She'd last longer than you! Image Image

I'd be lez also, if I were female.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Steely Dan anyone?
JMEaT