The face of jihad.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

The face of jihad.

Post by Nightshade »

It seems to eerily echo the painting called \"The Scream\" though this guy is the one doing the scaring...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... 785064.jpg
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

It just seems so surreal. The pope accuses Muslims of being violent. Muslims protest by threatening violence.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

Kilarin wrote:The pope accuses Muslims of being violent.
he quoted Manuel II. Palaiologos, a christian emporer from the middle ages, in a discussion about religions, specifically christianity and islam.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Floyd wrote:he quoted Manuel II. Palaiologos, a christian emporer from the middle ages, in a discussion about religions, specifically christianity and islam.
Yes, sorry. I'm aware he was quoting. I should have clarified that. It's just beside the point. The Muslim world THINKS that the Pope was accusing them of being violent. And regardless of whether he was or not, they confirm the accusation by responding with threats of violence.

It's just so incredibly like something out of a comedy sketch. I'd laugh if it didn't make me want to cry.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I hear you about that. I know absolutely nothing about the context of that quote (and isn't it interesting that said context has been completely glossed over in the media), and the pope using it may have been rather ill-advised, but still. Overreaction, much? Once again, just as in the case of those editorial cartoons, I can't help but wonder about the rationality (or lack thereof) of a rather significant portion of the world.

(And besides all that, the part of me that does know something of the history of Islam's founding wonders if that quote might not be applicable after all. Sometimes, nothing hurts more than the truth...)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Top Gun wrote:I hear you about that. I know absolutely nothing about the context of that quote (and isn't it interesting that said context has been completely glossed over in the media), and the pope using it may have been rather ill-advised, but still. Overreaction, much?
Top Gun wrote: He was reading a full text, written by an Emperor, about how religion by force is wrong. One of the lines was about how Muhammad brought nothing but evil, as he used force to preach.
The oddest thing is that most of the media even removed the part about using force.
Top Gun wrote:Once again, just as in the case of those editorial cartoons, I can't help but wonder about the rationality (or lack thereof) of a rather significant portion of the world.
Look again. If you notice, all the good guys are living out their own lives, knowing it wasn't a big deal, but they also know it's best not to interfere.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

When I see a Turkish government official stating that the pope has placed himself in history with such notables as Hitler and Mussolini, and when I hear absolutely no one at all speaking out against statements like that, you tell me what I'm supposed to think about the rationality of much of that part of the region.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

You know...we COULD just quit it with the comments and the cartoons regarding Islam. You guys ever think of that, instead of complaining as to why they overreact (which they do) to these things, just quit doing them. They obviously take these things very, very seriously. It's like wondering why a bee stings you when you sit there and prod it.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You have insulted Christianity and Christians many, many times. I don't see any of us with a torch standing at your office or with an axe breaking down your door.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

If Christians *did* start acting violent because of his criticism, do you think he'd stop?

I think he would, rightly, get louder in his criticism. Because it's the right thing to do. When people's beliefs lead them to act against others, we should speak out -- whether it's Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Democrats, Republicans, or people who don't fit any label at all. Those beliefs need exposed, criticized, and deconstructed.

You can't overcome warped beliefs if you're not willing to expose them for what they are. Right now, people worldwide are finally starting to understand what exactly Fundamentalist Islam is, because most people haven't been exposed to it before.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Stryker, let's say you had a torch outside this very office, I think I might change my mind and keep my mouth shut. They overreact yes, but they overreact to something that we knowingly do, and they don't like it. Once again, religion causes otherwise normal people to act completely insane.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Zuruck wrote:Stryker, let's say you had a torch outside this very office, I think I might change my mind and keep my mouth shut. They overreact yes, but they overreact to something that we knowingly do, and they don't like it. Once again, religion causes otherwise normal people to act completely insane.
Because only tolerant religions have a right to respect. Make fun of Christians and you will end up getting bored and stop. The Muslim world needs to learn that and for us to hide, or walk softly, isn't going to make it better.

I have no answer, but if I was the Pope I wouldn't apologize for quoting something that they already knew.... That the Islamic religion is violent, militant, intollerant, and disrespectful to females of all ages. If this became a Muslim world I would slit my wrists.

And I like this Pope.

Bee
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Zuruck wrote:...They overreact yes, but they overreact to something that we knowingly do, and they don't like it....
When "what we knowingly do" is merely mention that a few centuries ago someone thought Muhammed brought nothing new except violence to the world...
or someone draws an unflattering picture of muhammed in a magazine...

And their over reaction includes killing people and riots and such...

Well I think that puts their "over reaction into a whole new catagory of people reacting badly to criticism!
In fact if you are able to think logically you really have to acknowledge that these people are prone to sociopathic tendencies and it's their culture that seems to cause them to develop these very dangerous traits.

To try and equivocate this anti-social behavior with that of the reactions of other religions followers to similar stimulus is really a lame attempt to deflect the focus away from an important issue. There is an enormous difference between them and their western counterparts when it comes to dealing with criticism and culture clash!

Jerry Falwell is likely to file frivolous law suits and try to get-out-the-christian-vote to 'attack' his foes, where as islamo-fascists are known to get out the suicide bomb or blow up buildings full of unsuspecting civilians!!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:Stryker, let's say you had a torch outside this very office, I think I might change my mind and keep my mouth shut.
This makes you a coward. Which is exactly what they want to make of you, and me, and the rest of our culture. Islam believes it is the truth, but it also believes it is the "true warrior culture" -- that Americans (and westerners in general) are soft, that we're cowards, that we'll flee at the first sign of difficulty. And too many people are confirming that perception for them -- too many are cowering because they fear violence, or lawsuits, or political correctness. This means they'll continue those attacks.

Screw that. Don't cower in the face of threats; stand up to them. Expose their evil for what it is. And when they violently protest, or sue, when you call them out for their crap, get LOUDER, not quieter. Make their assaults counterproductive -- because it's the only way to stop them.

(And while you're at it, stop believing the propaganda they spread. But maybe that's too much to ask just yet.)
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Lothar, if anyone here is a coward, it is you. You're the one that refuses to realize how small you are in the world, you have to come up fake beings just so you can feel like you have a place in this world. Eat it. I think a piece of garbage of like you Lothar is far more dangerous than some pissed off man on the flip side of the world.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Weak.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

oh no he didn't
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ok zuruck.. back the hell off.

One big reason most christians don't threaten or use violence is because they found something much more powerful.

Money.

*Not referring to you Lothar because you seem to be an exception in my books.
Paul
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Paul »

I suppose if you walk down a street and get mugged it's your own fault for walking down that street...

But in the real world, the mugger should be arrested.
Differentiation is an integral part of calculus.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Zuruck wrote:Lothar, if anyone here is a coward....ect ect ect
Z, you need a hug sunshine.