Minimum wage

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Minimum wage

Post by Lothar »

** PLEASE NOTE: TOPIC SPLIT BY BIRDSEYE FROM BETTINA's VOTING THREAD **

Zuruck wrote:Someone is going to have to explain to me why raising the minimum wage is bad economically.
Simple: if you force company X to pay $7.63 minimum, it means people who are only worth $5.75 an hour to company X won't get hired. The higher you push minimum wage, the tougher it is for someone untrained to get into the workforce and earn a little bit of change. (See the chart mid-right on the wikipedia article.)

People often argue that minimum wage should be a living wage. If you've got a decent work ethic (which you'd better have to be raising a family) you're not going to be stuck at minimum wage for long. All pushing the minimum wage up really does is makes it so those willing to work for less (who don't have the skills or need to make more) can't... at least not legally.

-----

As for voting your heart: sometimes, voting for a candidate you really like has consequences you didn't expect. Just as an example, in Virginia (IIRC) the Dems are running a guy who's basically a Republican except he opposes the Iraq war. He's a pro-life, NRA, free trade, low taxes, small government type guy who the Republicans wanted as their candidate 6 years ago... but if he gets elected, he might be the one who swings the Senate majority to the Democratic side, meaning the Dems with the longest senate experience (who are most definitely NOT pro-life, NRA, free trade, low taxes, small government types) will chair most of the key committees. Both parties do the same thing -- they look for candidates who can win in a particular area (even if they totally don't fit the party) just so they can get a senate majority and the power that comes with it, but they have no desire to actually enact laws that candidate would generally support.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

A decent work ethic is what it takes? When I was 14, living in Colorado, I worked at McDonald's and never once, in the 2.5 years I was there did I ever, ever get a raise. I showed up on time, did my job, never got written up or anything like that, yet I never got past the minimum wage. Those places won't pay a dime more unless they are forced to.

If you work 40 hours a week and are paid minimum wage, your gross pay, BEFORE taxes each week is $230. That is less than $1000 a month. I spend nearly twice that a month just to cover my staple expenses, and I don't even have kids or a wife to steal my money.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:When I was 14... I worked at McDonald's
Were you raising a family? Do you think you'd try to work at McDonalds if you were?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Zuruck wrote:A decent work ethic is what it takes? When I was 14, living in Colorado, I worked at McDonald's and never once, in the 2.5 years I was there did I ever, ever get a raise. I showed up on time, did my job, never got written up or anything like that, yet I never got past the minimum wage. Those places won't pay a dime more unless they are forced to.
If the sole purpose of the concept of minimum wage is to encourage people to keep working at McDonalds, then its an outright failure.

The work ethic that lothar is talking about is the Peter Principle, a person will find a wage level that won't exceed their incompentence.

McDonalds will only raise wages for most of its workers only by govern,ent decree, or ideally their customers demand a more compentent employee that they are willing to pay more for. The former would genereally seek companies to find ways to either reduce hours or workforce.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

McDonald's isn't the only place that pays that wage. No I wasn't raising a family, that is the whole point. I was 14 years old, no expenses, no nothing, summer job whatever. For someone who has to put food on the table...seems like it would be just a little bit tougher. You know Lothar, for someone who acts biblically (is that a word) you're a complete jackazz.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I just want the minimum wage to at least keep up with current costs of living. Surely, things have to be more expensive now than they were in 1997 when the wage was last set.

I understand raising it can lead to complacency but not if it just keeps pace.

Bee
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Zuruck, Bettina, I dont get why you want the minumum wage increased! People can live on minimum wage easily...

You just have to live on the street in a cardboard box, thats all... :P
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Vote for the candidate with a balanced budget plan.

To achieve a balanced budget, you'd need to actually reduce the size of govenment (republicans claim they do this, but they actually have increased the size of government and the deficit. Democrats don't seem to be as bad on either, but not particularly good)

Check out a third party. Vote for the positions you think are correct, no matter how popular the candidate. Vote your convictions.

I can't vote for democrats or repubs who voted for the war and the patriot act, for example.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:I wasn't raising a family, that is the whole point.
Yes, it is the whole point. Why don't you go back and read what I wrote, and think about how that point relates?

Raising the minimum wage removes jobs for people in the situation you were in -- high school students not raising a family etc. McDonalds doesn't need to pay a "living wage" for someone raising a family. If you're raising a family work somewhere that pays more than McDonalds. If you have to put food on the table, you can and should find a better paying job.

Minimum wage in Seattle is $7.63 an hour. I can find work for much more than that just by walking in to a grocery store and demonstrating I'm literate enough to fill out an application.

I have a friend who dropped out of school in his home country at age 14, moved to this country at age 18, and was able to get a job for $11/hour with no skills whatsoever. As long as he kept that job he was doing well enough to take care of his wife and infant daughter. Again, I'm talking about a 19-year-old who dropped out of school 5 years earlier and who was able to find work that let him feed his family.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Someone is going to have to explain to me why raising the minimum wage is bad economically.
This is all Marx, baby. Sure, I can explain this with one graph and you can see what might *happen* but it doesn't tell the full story.

The argument against minimum wage is the same as the argument against rent control:

At a higher wage (or lower rent) you have either fewer jobs available (or houses available for rent) or a cost offset such as a higher price for the service/good sold (for housing, it could be fewer rennovations to the property, slower repairs, etc.), though theoretically you should be able to increase minimum wage in accordance with inflation without a change in unemployment.

The primary argument against minimum wage increase is that though you will have some people with a higher wage, you will have increased unemployment. Unemployment is the worst thing an economy can have, worse than an inflationary issue, worse than an unbalanced budget. Sure it's bad for the consumer if the owner increases prices, but it's much worse for the economy as a whole if someone is laid off. However, how badly the unemployment rate is affected is highly up to debate, and EXTREMELY difficult to track.

What we do know about wages is that the market can function quite well at \"unfairly\" low wages. A good example is serfdom, indentured servitude, etc. which the wage is low, the job gets done, everyone has a job, but the exploitation of labor is so great that the wage is considered 'unfair'. One could even make the argument that business fairs better with labor exploitation, so we don't calculate minumum wage on what is best for companies, we calculate on what's best for everyone - consumers, workers, owners.

Obviously we are far beyond that point (serfdom etc.), but I wanted to show an extreme example where markets function just fine, but the wage I think everyone can agree is \"unfair\". Unfortunately it's a truly grey area we are deciding on -- what is \"fair\" -- becuase we know business can run fine in a range of wages.

I think the minimum wage *is* at an exploitation point right now. But I don't think one national minimum wage makes sense, minimum wage only makes sense on a regional basis (county by county). We could do a national minimum wage standard adjusted county-by-county based upon a the local consumer price index and average wage. It would need the stipulation that the wage can only be introduced if it does not put an unnecessary inhibition on business in the region -- there are many cases in regions that are sparesly populated where business cannot operate at all if the wage is increased.

Remember also that increasing the buying power of the group of people with the highest MPC (Marginal {Propentity to Consume, that is the % of an extra dollar they spend) is VERY good for the economy. Business owners will hand money out to workers, who will in turn hand the money right back to business owners for the goods and services they need...

So, to summarize:

Positives:

- Minimum wage increase is needed if current wage isn't \"fair\" (subjective grey area decision)
- Increasing minimum wage puts money into the hands of consumers with the highest MPC. If we can prevent the unemployment introduced by a minimum wage increase through gov programs or subsidizing worker retrainign or education, we reap huge rewardas as an economy through the workers with the high MPC spending their new money. This is sort of like the economic boom brought forth after a tax cut (bush's helped, but it was ineffective because it focused on low mpc people)

Negatives:

- Unemployment.
- Business operates fine at a variety of wages, but at a decreased quality or increased cost of the good/service to the consumer

General:
- If you could figure out
how to offset unemployment (e.g. retraining, education) a minimum wage increase is fantastic for the economy. Unfortunately, unemployment increase is the likely result unless there is an offsetting program to deal with it.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

You said it better than I could Birds. And I agree, regional changes should reflect cost of living but the national standard should be higher. Anyone in Manhattan live on MW? What about San Diego? What about Chicago? No...minimum wage should be increased each and every year to account for cost of living increase.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Ford doubled the wages of his employers at the turn of the century. All other business owners were horrified that he 'wasted' all that money. The local economy boomed. Imagine that?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Testiculese wrote:Ford doubled the wages of his employers at the turn of the century. All other business owners were horrified that he 'wasted' all that money. The local economy boomed. Imagine that?
and the argument against this is Ford would still be making model A's. Which gets a LOL.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Actually, I think most of Ford's wage doubling was a 'waste' from a business standpoint, but not from a moral or socio-economic enlightened perspective.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Ford at the turn of the century could easily afford to double their employees' wages. However, if you FORCED every company to double their wages at the turn of the century, what would happen?

Companies would have to either A. double prices in order to stay afloat, which would in essence nullify the wage increase, or B. go bankrupt, fire all their employees, and slap the USA in general with a very sharp and painful increase in unemployment levels.

How is this beneficial to anyone again?

It SOUNDS good--there's no doubt about that. Companies that can afford to increase their wages and still make a profit certainly should. The problem is, many companies cannot afford to increase their wages without increasing prices, which gives no benefit to anyone except the people manufacturing price labels.

Look at it another way--assume bread costs $1. A company pays $.90 to manufacture this bread, including employee wages, machine maintenance, resources, and all other overhead. If wages for this company are suddenly forced to double, the company, to continue making a $.10 profit and expand its operations, must increase its price for a loaf of bread to $1.50. The employees benefit, since their wage has doubled, while the price of bread has only increased by 50%.

However, the price of bread affects everyone, not just those employees. Since bread has increased to $1.50, many employees from other companies must either seek new jobs or lobby for higher wages. Because all employees now need higher wages to buy bread, companies must increase the costs for their services. The local mechanic must increase his average price per call from $40 to $50. Now, the maintenance and overhead costs for all businesses increase as well. Before long, the bread that used to cost $1.50 must have its price increased to $2.00 to keep up with the increased cost of other services.

Obviously other factors come into play, but forcing all companies to increase their wages can only result in increased prices, which nullify the wage increase. It's a nasty cycle, but it's how capitalism works.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Dude, nobody seriously wanted to double wages.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Stryker wrote:Ford at the turn of the century could easily afford to double their employees' wages. However, if you FORCED every company to double their wages at the turn of the century, what would happen?

Companies would have to either A. double prices in order to stay afloat, which would in essence nullify the wage increase, or B. go bankrupt, fire all their employees, and slap the USA in general with a very sharp and painful increase in unemployment levels.

How is this beneficial to anyone again?

It SOUNDS good--there's no doubt about that. Companies that can afford to increase their wages and still make a profit certainly should. The problem is, many companies cannot afford to increase their wages without increasing prices, which gives no benefit to anyone except the people manufacturing price labels.

Look at it another way--assume bread costs $1. A company pays $.90 to manufacture this bread, including employee wages, machine maintenance, resources, and all other overhead. If wages for this company are suddenly forced to double, the company, to continue making a $.10 profit and expand its operations, must increase its price for a loaf of bread to $1.50. The employees benefit, since their wage has doubled, while the price of bread has only increased by 50%.

However, the price of bread affects everyone, not just those employees. Since bread has increased to $1.50, many employees from other companies must either seek new jobs or lobby for higher wages. Because all employees now need higher wages to buy bread, companies must increase the costs for their services. The local mechanic must increase his average price per call from $40 to $50. Now, the maintenance and overhead costs for all businesses increase as well. Before long, the bread that used to cost $1.50 must have its price increased to $2.00 to keep up with the increased cost of other services.

Obviously other factors come into play, but forcing all companies to increase their wages can only result in increased prices, which nullify the wage increase. It's a nasty cycle, but it's how capitalism works.
You made a few critical miscalculations there.
1: If the wages are doubled, people now have $2.00 to spend on bread instead of $1.00, therefore saving 50c.
2: The price of bread would not increase twice. The mechanic's price would rise due to the same reason as the breads' price, and around the same time too.

So, in short, a minimum wage increase would make the poor a little richer, and the rich a little poorer.
Which is the reason it wont be increased often in America. :p
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I know no one seriously wanted to double wages; I'm just taking doubling wages as an easy-to-use mathematical indicator with some historical precedent, and applicable because it has been used as an example of \"good business practice\".

TigerRaptor... what part of this do you not understand? Did you read the full post before replying?

The bread's price increases due to the necessity of still making a profit to stay operational.

The mechanic must buy bread, so he raises his prices.

The bread machines used to produce the bread require the mechanic to fix them at the increased price, further raising the price of bread simply by increasing overhead, which requires another price raise. Prices will balance out at the new market value of bread, $2.00.

It's like a chemical equation at equilibrium. Add something to one end or the other, and the equilibrium will simply shift to retain the same balance.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Stryker wrote:I know no one seriously wanted to double wages; I'm just taking doubling wages as an easy-to-use mathematical indicator with some historical precedent, and applicable because it has been used as an example of "good business practice".

I'm not really sure how it is a mathmatical indicator, what. You basically just said "increase their wages and nothing will change" and alluded to chemical equilibrium below, but economics does not remotely resemble such a situation. You are using the logic "This would make sense if it were true" but unfortunately you have no empirical basis to your claim.

It's like a chemical equation at equilibrium. Add something to one end or the other, and the equilibrium will simply shift to retain the same balance.

Please post proof that wages are like this. I am expecting peer reviewed academic journal articles. Maybe I am not understanding what you mean, but it sounds like you have not studied much economics and are just making some sweeping generalizations (this includes tiger, with your coloquial informal math arguments).

Re-read my post if you want a less "black and white" view of the situation...

Oh and good job Bettina... I am about to go vote.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I'd like to weigh in on the minimum wage issue, as my recent move from Oklahoma City to Denver is giving me a first-hand look at regional wage differences (see Birdseye's comments).

Can we split it from the voting topic?
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

your wish, my command. let the debate commence.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You are right Birdseye, I have not studied economics. My ideas are based mostly on common sense and the reasoning I have provided, as well as a few basic laws I know. Please, do correct my assumptions if they are wrong--I know I'm not extremely knowledgable on the subject; I'm just applying what logic I can come up with to a problem. The logic I used, in this case, leads me to believe that increasing the minimum wage will lead to no tangible benefit for the average person.

My \"mathematical indicator\" phrase was perhaps poorly worded; my true intent was to provide a simple example of what my train of thought/logic would lead to.

Laws/assumptions I am using:

1. Businesses will always attempt to maintain a fair profit margin. If the price of their services/products goes to high for a specific good or service, consumers will migrate to another business with lower cost if possible. If the price is too low, the business will not be able to expand in the future, leaving it helpless before rapidly-growing competitors.

2. Employees will usually attempt to force employers to give them just compensation for their labor. If a particular employer doesn't pay its employees enough for their level of expertise and abilities, the employees will usually seek a higher-paying job.

Based on these two assumptions, my train of logic is as follows:

1. Forced wage increase requires businesses to raise their prices or lay off workers

2. Increased prices for services and products affect other businesses, driving prices for those businesses up farther, even if not directly affected by the initial wage increase; unemployment increase in effect increases the spending-to-income ratio average per household.

3. Employees who had their wages increased will now have to pay more for basic products, in effect nullifying their wage increase. Unemployed workers now must seek new jobs at increased prices or gain in skill in order to be worth hiring.

Again, Birdseye, I'm sure you're more knowledgable on the subject than am I--I'm just reasoning this out based on what I know to be true. I know that many other factors are in play, and that the ratio of wage increase to price increase will probably never be exactly 1:1. What I'm saying is that, given time, the market will attempt to find a stable position that allows growth for business, no matter what factors such as high minimum wage and high taxes may try to shoehorn the economy into a plane. Capitalism, by its very nature, will have people who are rich and those who are poor.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Zuruck wrote:McDonald's isn't the only place that pays that wage. No I wasn't raising a family, that is the whole point. I was 14 years old, no expenses, no nothing, summer job whatever. For someone who has to put food on the table...seems like it would be just a little bit tougher. You know Lothar, for someone who acts biblically (is that a word) you're a complete jackazz.
I think maybe the lesson there is if you want to get married and raise a family, you better be able to support them. On the other hand, for those that don't want to raise a family the world needs ditch diggers too.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Stryker wrote:Capitalism, by its very nature, will have people who are rich and those who are poor.
The upside is that it is a matter of effort and skill, not arbitrary decisions by people who are the nth descendant of the country's founder, or exclusive to people who are the nth descendant of someone who did something worthy of recognition by the country's founder's descendant.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Many people treat minimum wage increases like a free lunch -- like it will magically fix problems without introducing others. Minimum wage increases come with costs like increased unemployment for certain demographics and inflation (as the rest of the economy adjusts.) They also benefit those who have minimum wage jobs. There's a balance to be struck.

Birds, you bring up MPC quite a bit, but I've always found the argument questionable. Propensity to consume is important, but propensity to invest, save, educate employees, etc. are also important. You can't build a solid economy without all of these things. Certainly there are times when the thing the economy needs is more direct consumption, but there are also times when the economy needs more investment, more saving, more risk-taking, etc. Minimum wage increases probably put more money in the hands of those most likely to consume (provided unemployment doesn't cancel out the overall effect of the wage increase), but often at the expense of money in the hands of those most likely to create jobs.

There are interactions between each of these things. Those who naively think \"more, more, more\" or \"less, less, less\" instead of \"set the appropriate level\" (whether regarding minimum wage, taxes, interest rates, or any other economic topic) simply don't understand the way real economies work.

One thing I strongly agree with Birdseye on is that minimum wage should be dealt with more regionally rather than nationwide.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Stryker wrote:You are right Birdseye, I have not studied economics. My ideas are based mostly on common sense and the reasoning I have provided, as well as a few basic laws I know. Please, do correct my assumptions if they are wrong"
an excellent attitude. kudos.

1. Businesses will always attempt to maintain a fair profit margin. If the price of their services/products goes to high for a specific good or service, consumers will migrate to another business with lower cost if possible. If the price is too low, the business will not be able to expand in the future, leaving it helpless before rapidly-growing competitors.

The word "fair" is in the vocabulary of but a few businesses, mostly small with private ownership. Publically owned corporations have a responsibility to turn profit and grow, there is nothing about fairness -- hence the exploitation of labor being a popular way to increase profits. The rest of your statement is reasonable, but doesn't really address the issues discussed.

2. Employees will usually attempt to force employers to give them just compensation for their labor. If a particular employer doesn't pay its employees enough for their level of expertise and abilities, the employees will usually seek a higher-paying job.

This is a fallacy. Because workers are often segmented regionally and often a handful of corporations own all the jobs, the consumers do not have the power you are talking about. E.g. say you are a repairman of a specific line of tractors fora corporation. There is no other job in repairing tractors in your city, much less in any nearby county. If the repairman likes the city he lives in, he is stuck and cannot get fairly compensated because *competition for his wage is imperfect*. This is a highly likely scenario for specialized segments of labor. Many companies have career workers who specialize in the design of that company's home gardening plastics... i could go on.

The assumption you make is that wrong is the concept of "perfect markets" and a "magic invisible hand" that is evening things out in the wage market. This is true a lot, but there a tons of exceptions with this being on of them.
Based on these two assumptions, my train of logic is as follows:

1. Forced wage increase requires businesses to raise their prices or lay off workers
I covered this in my above post already, and you only got this partially correct. Wage increase causes business to either 1) Raise price of good/service 2) Decrease cost of production (worker numbers or part/product quality)

2. Increased prices for services and products affect other businesses, driving prices for those businesses up farther, even if not directly affected by the initial wage increase; unemployment increase in effect increases the spending-to-income ratio average per household.
Yep, increase wages *can* result in inflation and employment if there is no program to counter the negatives. The problem with economics is that any positive regulation will have negative unintended consequences unless you pay attention to them. In the cases of increasing wages I am not that afraid of inflation as long as we can curb umemployment. This is the bane of wage increases. It's a very simply calculation (that also has empirical results) that increasing wages increases unemployment. However, I don't think this has to be the case. I think studies can be done to estimate which markets will be hit the hardest and offer these out of work people education and/or retraining. I think we aren't being creative enough with wage lows. The problem is that in many cases, yes, workers are paid to low, but paying those people more will make some of the people that are suffering *totally screwed*. We need to work on programs to offset unemployment after a wage increase. Because we DO have to increase at some point in response to inflatationary pressure, whether we decide to do it now.

By the way, I voted No on increasing the minimum wage in my city from $7.50 to $9.65 because the bill had absolutely no way to deal with unemployment. The job market in Santa Cruz is already very tough because with so many students there is bountiful cheap labor. We'll have some happy students with more money, but then some who can't find work.
3. Employees who had their wages increased will now have to pay more for basic products, in effect nullifying their wage increase. Unemployed workers now must seek new jobs at increased prices or gain in skill in order to be worth hiring.
This is a mathmatical error in your head. This logic makes sense if every company has an identical % of profit change as a result of the wage increase. The increase in wage will not affect all goods & services. Some won't be affected at all. Many companies do not employ low wage workers. It will only affect certain portions of the market.

In fact, you are thinking of the tide only turning one way. There is the opposite affect (which is very positive) of the low wage, high MPC consumers infusing the economy with money with their newfound riches.

Also, some companies will decide to decrease product quality instead of increase price.
What I'm saying is that, given time, the market will attempt to find a stable position that allows growth for business, no matter what factors such as high minimum wage and high taxes may try to shoehorn the economy into a plane. Capitalism, by its very nature, will have people who are rich and those who are poor.
This is true. This does not mean however that we can't have a minimum wage increase that benefits the entire nation.

On to Lothar's comments:
Birds, you bring up MPC quite a bit, but I've always found the argument questionable. Propensity to consume is important, but propensity to invest, save, educate employees, etc. are also important. You can't build a solid economy without all of these things.
I agree, all those things are important. See below.
Certainly there are times when the thing the economy needs is more direct consumption, but there are also times when the economy needs more investment, more saving, more risk-taking, etc. Minimum wage increases probably put more money in the hands of those most likely to consume (provided unemployment doesn't cancel out the overall effect of the wage increase), but often at the expense of money in the hands of those most likely to create jobs.
This is a fallacy. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think I can now verbalise this much better than before, even to the point I think I *might* be able to change your mind.

The 100% or 99% MPC people spend their money, and who does it go to? The rich and well to do - people who own shops, property, etc. In fact, giving money to the higher MPC people IMO is even *more* targeted towards investment & economic growth than giving money directly to the rich. How is this possible? Pretty simple, actually. When you do an across the board tax cut that blanket-benefits the rich you aren't selecting for the entreprenuers, or even business owners.

When the high MPC consumer consumes, the money goes right back into the hands of the rich. And not just the rich, the *right* rich people. Businesses that are running, current technology.

I like letting the market seek out where the money should go (I know I went on a rant earlier about invisible hands and markets being imperfect, but I think this is one of the cases where the standad line holds up. In the case of wages, we have evidence that business do not offer "fair" prices and the market still operates). Put the money in the hands of those who are going to consume, let us avoid predicting demand, and they will deliver the money more efficiently than if we blanket money on rich people.

Supply-side tax cuts give a blanket benefit to the rich, at no certainty of entrepreneurship. Demand-side tax cuts help the market stay efficient (you can look at a minium wage as the near equivelent increase as a form of demand side tax cut, as long as you could stave off unemployment) with certainty about the needs & wants of consumers. Those who operate profitable business will boom in times of demand side cuts. I just don't get what the rich have to complain when the poor get a tax cut. What, did you not expect them to go right back to your store? What did you expect them to do with the money? It coming right back at the rich.

The more I think about it (I'm actually changing my mind somewhat while writing) the more I am beginning to prefer state & national tax cuts in addition to regional wage increases. This would allow the wage increase to be more modest (easier on business and the market) while still benefitting those adversely affected by the 'unfair' pay.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I need to stop postin well, thought out posts cuz they get the least replies ;p
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

OK, sure, I'll bite.
When the high MPC consumer consumes, the money goes right back into the hands of the rich. And not just the rich, the *right* rich people. Businesses that are running, current technology.
The specific act of raising the minimum wage takes money AWAY from entreprenuers and business owners. Some percentage of that money filters back up, but not anywhere close to 100%. And, in the mean time, unemployment among near-100% MPC people increases, which reduces the overall benefit of the minimum wage increase to that category of people. So it becomes a question of balance -- how much unemployment do you have to trade for how much wage increase? When the minimum wage is far too low (that is, far less than what the employees are worth), increasing it won't cause much unemployment, but when it's at the right level, increasing it will cause serious unemployment. In my area, the minimum wage is fairly high, which means any sort of increase is going to cause significant unemployment.

Much of what you argued was focused on tax cuts rather than minimum wage increases. I wasn't arguing for tax cuts for the rich, I was arguing against a minimum wage increase. Those are very different things (even if you could stave off unemployment, a minimum-wage increase would be the equivalent of a tax cut for the very pooerst AND a tax increase on business owners.)

I won't argue against any tax cut (within the current context and within reason), no matter who benefits. Tax cuts for the poor? Great! Tax cuts for the rich? Great! As long as there's no offsetting tax increase for some other group, I'm happy with it. Tax cuts for the poor are nice because, as you mentioned, the money gets pumped right back into the economy. Some of that money will filter up to investors, though nowhere near 100% of it. I think you overestimate how much of that money will end up in the hands of the \"right\" rich people... overhead eats up the majority of it. But it will do something, and I certainly won't object to such a policy. But, I think you make a mistake by treating \"businesses that are running, current technology\" as the one and only set of \"right\" rich people. This takes us right back to the point I made: the economy needs a lot of things, not just propensity to consume, and not just propensity to produce current technology. It also needs propensity to research, and so on.

I think you'll agree, aiming tax cuts at specific groups changes the balance of the economy. Which specific type of tax cut will be most effective depends very much on the current balance of the economy. And, again, if you're talking about minimum wage increases, you're NOT talking about the equivalent of a tax cut for the poor -- you're talking about a tax cut for some poor, unemployment for others, and a tax increase on certain types of business owners.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

The specific act of raising the minimum wage takes money AWAY from entreprenuers and business owners. Some percentage of that money filters back up, but not anywhere close to 100%.
The more I think about it, the more I think I need to go back and find some academic journal articles on the Keynsian Multiplier effect. Yes, it's not 100% but from what I remember it was far higher than you'd imagine -- this is pure speculation, let me get the data and get back to you.

Also, I am cognizant that its' not 100%, but I like the benefit going to the poor, instead of the rich who have a lesser need for an addtional dollar. I'd like to give the rich other opportunities to save $$ through investment regulations...

And, in the mean time, unemployment among near-100% MPC people increases, which reduces the overall benefit of the minimum wage increase to that category of people.
Remember, I posed somewhat of a hypothetical situation regarding minimum wages. Really, I honestly am arguing two seperate points here -- the general argument of giving money to low MPC people vs. high mpc and then the minimum wage increase.

It's not that I don't want to give low MPC peolpe money. It's that I want to save them money in other areas targetted at *investment* such as reducing captial gains taxes. I agreed with Bush on that one, big time. So its' important for us to discuss overall economic philosophies, rather than getting tunnel vision as I think we both have in these discussions (which I enjoy thouroughly). I postulate that for short-term influx needed to smooth out business cycles, tax cuts for the poor is the best way to *immediately* help the economy. To go along with that, to spur investment we should do things such as reduce capital gains taxes. I like to spur the economy using people who will spend right away *as well as* spurring investment through reducing taxes in areas of investment.

What is your overall outlook?
So it becomes a question of balance -- how much unemployment do you have to trade for how much wage increase? When the minimum wage is far too low (that is, far less than what the employees are worth), increasing it won't cause much unemployment, but when it's at the right level, increasing it will cause serious unemployment.
Ah, the classic Econ 101 question :)

In my area, the minimum wage is fairly high, which means any sort of increase is going to cause significant unemployment.
Well, not necessarily. This depends on a lot of factors:
1) The industry affected
2) If there are areas with cheaper substitute workers nearby. E.g. a city minimum wage is the WORST thing a city can do, because it is convenient for businesses to simply move a few miles.

But a state-wide minimum wage, or sometimes county-wide if it's a rural enough area can have minimal unemployment impact if the wage increase isn't excessive.

There's also an effect that's much, much harder to study which is unemployment caused by wages being too low -- this can happen in \"almost staple\" (e.g. organic milk, premium gas, mid-priced cars, etc.) industries where there are substitutes of slightly lower quality and the majority of revenue comes from a wide variety of consumers, where consumers no longer can afford the 'almost staple' product and are forced to downgrade to the 'staple' product. The companies providing these 'almost staple' products can go out of business completely and jobs are lost.
Much of what you argued was focused on tax cuts rather than minimum wage increases. I wasn't arguing for tax cuts for the rich, I was arguing against a minimum wage increase. Those are very different things (even if you could stave off unemployment, a minimum-wage increase would be the equivalent of a tax cut for the very pooerst AND a tax increase on business owners.)
Yep, I digressed into two arguments -- they are closely related, except with unemployment being he bane of wage increases. Personally, I'm for *small* minimum wage increases, keeping us above inflation (I believe we are below many historical levels for minimum wage adjusted for inflation)
I won't argue against any tax cut (within the current context and within reason), no matter who benefits. Tax cuts for the poor? Great! Tax cuts for the rich? Great! As long as there's no offsetting tax increase for some other group, I'm happy with it. Tax cuts for the poor are nice because, as you mentioned, the money gets pumped right back into the economy. Some of that money will filter up to investors, though nowhere near 100% of it. I think you overestimate how much of that money will end up in the hands of the \"right\" rich people... overhead eats up the majority of it. But it will do something, and I certainly won't object to such a policy. But, I think you make a mistake by treating \"businesses that are running, current technology\" as the one and only set of \"right\" rich people. This takes us right back to the point I made: the economy needs a lot of things, not just propensity to consume, and not just propensity to produce current technology. It also needs propensity to research, and so on.
I think perhaps we are coming to an agreement as we take a broader view of the situation. I agree, I always take the tax cut, but where we disagree is what type of tax cuts are the most effective. In regards to disposable income, I select for high MPC'ers. If I want to spur investment & entrepreneurship, I would go \"direct\" by reducing capital gains and other more directly \"entreprenueral\" areas.

I think you'll agree, aiming tax cuts at specific groups changes the balance of the economy. Which specific type of tax cut will be most effective depends very much on the current balance of the economy. And, again, if you're talking about minimum wage increases, you're NOT talking about the equivalent of a tax cut for the poor -- you're talking about a tax cut for some poor, unemployment for others, and a tax increase on certain types of business owners.
I said that, but perhaps in so many words and jumping between so many different arguments in a less than organized fashion it was muddled.

Basically my keys for a Balanced economic philosphy:

* in time of bust:

1) pump the economy with tax cuts for the poor so businesses continue to gain revenue and the Keynsian Mutliplier keeps churning.

2) Spur investment through reduction in *investment* taxes, such as reducing capital gains tax and other business regulations/restrictions. I feel giving disposable income to the rich though does help invesment is much less effective if you want to actually spur *investment*. In that case, we should make cuts in investment areas such as capital gains.

3) Lower prime interest rate

When it comes down to it, philosphically I'm inclined to allow business to decide the wage while lowering income taxes for high MPCer's (to keep cash flow moving in America and allow higher quality of life for poorer americans) and lowering business/investment taxes to spur investment/business
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The democrats are offering raising the federal minimum wage as their top priority. They finally get into power after decades and that is their big delivery to the american people?!?
Less than two percent of the american workers earn the federal minimum. A vast majority of them are children and part time workers living in middle class families. Over half of the states already have a minimum wage law mandating wages higher than the federal minimum.
So wow!
Thanks alot democrats! You really know how to fix things don't you?!
And the biggest outrage in all this is the majority of the press will do nothing to point this out instead they let these demoscammers parade around like they are the saviors of the down trodden! They aren't the saviors, they are the pimps!
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

Social science “laws” are academic constructs which break down VERY rapidly outside of the pristine fantasy world of the classroom. Environmental contaminants like political contributions, bribery, nepotism, discrimination, malice, sickness, and old-fashioned organized crime chew ‘em up and spit ‘em out with casual abandon.

Their hearsay was constructed to give the masses who believe in them a convincing rationale, a “reason” to accept near-criminal hypocrisy with a double-edged explanation.

I have multiple post-grad engineering degrees, (on math scholarships), worked in “Fortune 500” companies and large retailers, and also owned my own business (6 family house), and believe me, we laugh or ashes off whenever we hear these whacked out theories which have absolutely NOTHING to do with “limited resources” or the way we actually cut deals.

99 percent of economics, business success, and career potential are powered SOLELY by human greed, luck, embellished statistics, and political extortion. The “supply & demand” mathematics of business are simply an illusionary and occasional consequence of these factors.

If they weren’t, anyone with an MBA would know the guaranteed success path to millions, and we know that to be total crud, since there are MBA’s making minimum wage as retail clerks in stores, right along side their high-school drop out co-workers.

Let’s take a simple quiz. Do you think the price of asthma medicine at a veteran’s hospital is determined by:

A) Good, wholesome, economic supply and demand theory. It costs 5 cents to make a dose, so it is sold for 8 cents to satisfy “demand” & make an “honest” profit.

B) Humanitarian kindness driven by the mechanism of a “non-profit” (LOL) medical industry?

C) The size of the “legal” kickback granted to the congressman in charge of medical appropriations who flew to Vegas in the pharmaceutical’s corporate jet for a “fact-finding” tour by the “non-profit” corporation’s $10 million dollar a year CEO (LOL). Perfectly legal, this may be either in the form of a million-dollar “no-show” job after his term is completed or a fat “contribution” to a “charity” his blood relative runs. Hence, the 5 cents per dose cost is marked up to sell at $30 while “supply and demand” theories fade rapidly in the laughter of closed-door, smoke-filled rooms.

Whether that medicine sells for 8 cents or 30 bucks, the worker at the bottom of that company makes minimum either way .

There are no “laws”, no “equilibrium”, no logical rationale that defines a “fair” (LOL) minimum wage of about 6 bucks. If these guys don’t make enough to survive on, they get subsidized with food stamps, public assistance, and the bureaucracy of welfare, so, technically, they are making about $16 hour anyway, ONLY IT DIRECTLY COMES OUT OF MY TAXES, SAME DIFFERENCE.

At least with a fair minimum wage, they work with the dignity of knowing their sweat covered their expenses, and don’t have to “beg” like dogs for what they earned either way. 8)
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Will Robinson wrote:And the biggest outrage in all this is the majority of the press will do nothing to point this out instead they let these demoscammers parade around like they are the saviors of the down trodden! They aren't the saviors, they are the pimps!
LOL. Will nails the headline! :D
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Hi Archer,

You're making pretty wild baseless claims here. You quizzes have absolutely nothing to do with anything we are discussing.

Keynsian Economics stastically has a very strong empirical backing for smoothing out the business cycle. Unless you can present some ground breaking discovery on how the past 50 years of success in smoothing the business cycle is a statistical anamoly, you are simply puffing hot air.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Birdseye wrote:Vote for the candidate with a balanced budget plan.
So you're advocating removing the shocks associated with raising the minimum wage and replacing them with the more frequent and potentially far more drastic shocks associated with manipulating tax revenues to maintain a balanced budget? What if there's something like, say, a war? Or a hurricane?

I guess the fundamental question I'm asking is if you want to target or mandate a balanced budget.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

DCrazy wrote:
Birdseye wrote:Vote for the candidate with a balanced budget plan.
So you're advocating removing the shocks associated with raising the minimum wage and replacing them with the more frequent and potentially far more drastic shocks associated with manipulating tax revenues to maintain a balanced budget? What if there's something like, say, a war? Or a hurricane?

I guess the fundamental question I'm asking is if you want to target or mandate a balanced budget.
I think you misunderstood me. I would never repeatadly manipulate taxes. Taxes need to be consistently set to have a positive effect (otherwise people can't plan for the future).

The budget can easily be balanced without changing income tax percentages every year, but it involves changes in spending (the hard part!).

I am always opposed to "budget mandates" because Keynsian economics shows that running a deficit is important in times of bust, while we should save our surplus/invest the surplus in times of boom.

When I say vote for the candidate with a balanced budget plan, this is a long view. The budget shouldn't be balanced every year, that wouldn't be theoretically optimal (although honestly with the spending that's going on, I'd reluctantly take it). But over the long haul of say 10, 15 years it should be. Most "business cycles" are 3-10 years in length.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Birdseye wrote:When I say vote for the candidate with a balanced budget plan, this is a long view. The budget shouldn't be balanced every year, that wouldn't be theoretically optimal (although honestly with the spending that's going on, I'd reluctantly take it). But over the long haul of say 10, 15 years it should be. Most "business cycles" are 3-10 years in length.
Ah, but now we've hit a snag. Are they? You can only determine the length of a business cycle in hindsight. So you have to worry about what the Fed thinks is going to happen... if they believe that the current business cycle will peak in a year and recess in two years from now, then they will most likely structure their long-term policies around this prediction.

Meanwhile, the Congress is drafting the budget proposal for the next FY, and that's all they can really look at right now. They don't even get a count of how much money they're owed until April. So they reasonably extrapolate current figures to the next April, and go on the Fed's expectations from there.

If the Fed is right, then everything goes smoothly. If the Fed is wrong, they have to start running reactionary policies which screw up Congress's calculations. In the worst case, Congress has already passed the budget before the Fed's predictions prove false, and we have an entire year of a panicking Fed trying to correct its mistakes, under the spectre of out-of-date tax revenue expectations and looming, unevitable bust, and knowledge that they're playing with the value of the currency and therefore are affecting the worth of foreign investment, thus further screwing up the GAO's estimates.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

DCrazy wrote: Ah, but now we've hit a snag. Are they? You can only determine the length of a business cycle in hindsight. So you have to worry about what the Fed thinks is going to happen... if they believe that the current business cycle will peak in a year and recess in two years from now, then they will most likely structure their long-term policies around this prediction.
Uh, yeah. So what is your point? :) This is the primary cry of the Monetarist, but if you look at the years since Keynesian economics has been introduced, we've seen smoothing of the business cycle. I think this has more to with control of the money supply than anything else, and the FDIC.

Meanwhile, the Congress is drafting the budget proposal for the next FY, and that's all they can really look at right now. They don't even get a count of how much money they're owed until April.
The big problem is that regardless of the situation congress will find a way to spend, spend, spend. The republicans will want tax cuts even if its not the right time, and the democrats will want more social programs even if we can't afford it.
If the Fed is right, then everything goes smoothly. If the Fed is wrong, they have to start running reactionary policies which screw up Congress's calculations. In the worst case, Congress has already passed the budget before the Fed's predictions prove false, and we have an entire year of a panicking Fed trying to correct its mistakes, under the spectre of out-of-date tax revenue expectations and looming, unevitable bust, and knowledge that they're playing with the value of the currency and therefore are affecting the worth of foreign investment, thus further screwing up the GAO's estimates.
Plausible scenarios, but look at the empirical evidence of what has actually happened. The cycles have smoothed since Keynesian economics has been used. It's a success. Now if we can just get congress to begin to reduce kill deficit, then we'll be in great shape.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

We're arguing two different points here, I'm afraid (same situation in the other thread). Notice I never decried the Fed's existence or what they do. I'm just speaking from what I've seen looking back on what Greenspan did and when he did it. I feel at times he was a bit overzealous in his attempts to grow the economy. It's almost as if he thought we could get the economy to a plateau which would require a massive shock of some sort to fall below. Combine that with his penchant for secrecy and Congress' spend-happy habits and we've got potential for problems (that didn't occur).