Animal communication

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Animal communication

Post by woodchip »

O.K., this is going beyond the explainable, so help me out here. Four years ago I started feeding humming birds on my back deck. The following spring a humming bird came and hovered at my deck door (glass) while I was standing there. I said, \"Cool they're back\" and went and filled the feeder bottle. A year ago spring the same thing happened and I dutifully went and filled the feeder bottle. I just thought it a coincidence. Now I am not so sure.

This morning I'm standing at the side window and lo and behold, a humming bird (female) comes to the window at eye level and hovers for a minute or so. Now I'm really starting to wonder. I once again clean and fill the feeder bottle and go out and attach it to its mounting hook. What is now really interesting is as soon as I'm done, a male humming bird comes and starts feeding. I'm standing all of a foot away.

So this is three times humming birds have come to a window I'm standing at. The rest of the year I never see them at a window. Is there some sort of communication going on?

My Madagascar ground boa is another case. I clean her cage and fill the water bowl on a regular basis and there is no reaction from her. When I bring home a feeder rat the Boa gives me a immediate prey reaction. Mind you I don't touch the rat as the pet store puts it in a box and seals it. This last time as a experiment, I didn't even bring the rat in the house. Yet as soon as I opened the boas door to fill the water bowl, she immediately went into hunter mode.

So I have to ask the rest of you if perhaps you have had similar experiences with unexplainable communications with animals. I'm kinda scratching my head at this point.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Sounds along the lines of Pavlov's bell. It's all about the food man :)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

It's obvious, you are so easily trained a hummingbird can do it ;)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

We had a cockatiel where every time the refrigerator door opened, he'd whistle and scream for food, and wouldn't stop until we finally gave him something from the refrigerator.

We also have a wild red squirrel for a \"pet\". It started out a couple years ago when my mom would leave nuts and seeds out on the deck, and the red squirrel would be a regular visitor. Now when we go out on the deck and she sees us, she approaches. One morning she even climbed up the side of the patio door and scratching the window to get our attention.

Animals aint stupid.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Dr. Dolittle!!
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You're forgetting you were in the feeder store to begin with, the smell is all over you. You don't have to touch anything for the snake to pick up the scents of the store from your clothes. Even if you walk in the house go upstairs get a shower, change clothes, and come back down, your boa will still smell the store.

The hummingbirds seem like Pavlov's bell. They recognize that you set up the food, and recognize you all summer see you all summer.

Animals have brains, (unlike most people) :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have Chickadees and nuthatches and even sqiuirrels yand chipmunks eating from my hands.