network bias or good business???

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

network bias or good business???

Post by CUDA »

thread title says it all

discuss

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08 ... nbc-store/

yes its Fox STFU Bee :P
Obama Merchandise a Big Seller at NBC Store
If you’re a fan of all things Obama, NBC Universal's online store has no fewer than 29 options for your buying pleasure -- from a shirt with the president's picture proclaiming \"YES WE DID\" to both of his books to a special inauguration DVD to a refrigerator magnet of the first couple.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I don't know if it is bias but it shows who they think their audience is doesn't it?
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

nbc sells obama merchandise...
fox promotes bush....
partisan politics waged pointlessly...
dog bites man.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I call it damage control. He's slippin in the polls.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Birdseye wrote:fox promotes bush....
And real america.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Does Fox really sell Bush memorabilia?
I think Fox may lean as right as NBC leans left but being in the business of selling your teams souvenirs is usually left to the official home stadium staff...
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Birdseye wrote:nbc sells obama merchandise...
fox promotes bush....
partisan politics waged pointlessly...
dog bites man.
Agree...selling merchandise to support the Leader of what should be the best country in the world? I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe they sold less for bush, but hey, that's politics
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Birdseye wrote: partisan politics waged pointlessly...
nice alliteration.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Birdseye »

Will Robinson wrote:Does Fox really sell Bush memorabilia?
I think Fox may lean as right as NBC leans left but being in the business of selling your teams souvenirs is usually left to the official home stadium staff...

idk, I didn't see anyone say they sold bush memorabilia. I just think both networks profit off promoting one side more than another to an extent, and I can't imagine the obama merchandise sales will be more than peanuts in the big picture.

plus, obama is very trendy right now, its just GOOD BUSINESS!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

That's a goodpoint Birdseye. Are they promoting an agenda or are they capitalizing on a hot commodity? Maybe a little of both. What's wrong with that?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

because it's poor judgment for the parent company of a news org to be selling memorabilia exclusive to one party. could you imagine the uproar from the left if Fox was selling Bush memorabilia?
They absolutely have a right to sell it and in a monetary stance. it might be profitable in the short term, but it could be disastrous for the long term health of a \"NEWS\" organization. as a news org you should at least TRY to have the appearance of being unbiased. NBC/MSNBC has always been perceived as leaning left, this just adds fuel to those that feel they are on the DNC payroll. IMHO its a very short sighted decision
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

CUDA wrote:could you imagine the uproar from the left if Fox was selling Bush memorabilia?
Yep. I imagine it'd be somewhat similar to this thread and the links therein. Why would there be any more whiners on the left than the right? :wink:

-------

Heh, I find the partisan perspective amusing sometimes. Any media favoring the opposing party is a dark conspiracy of evil perpetrated by criminals who revel in deception... but media favoring one's own party is simply the facts being told by well-meaning gold-hearted heroes of truth. :lol:
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Myself I'm just amazed that the government isn't getting a cut. :lol:

They can run billion dollar deficits but they can't put a simple merchandising deal together? :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Foil wrote:
CUDA wrote:could you imagine the uproar from the left if Fox was selling Bush memorabilia?
Yep. I imagine it'd be somewhat similar to this thread and the links therein. Why would there be any more whiners on the left than the right? :wink:

-------

Heh, I find the partisan perspective amusing sometimes. Any media favoring the opposing party is a dark conspiracy of evil perpetrated by criminals who revel in deception... but media favoring one's own party is simply the facts being told by well-meaning gold-hearted heroes of truth. :lol:
apparently you feel I'm being partisan. While I will make no bones that I'm conservative I would be posting the same thread if Fox had been selling republican merchandise. I guess why bother anymore. the battle lines have been drawn lets just all pick our sides.

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Gekko71 wrote:They can run billion dollar deficits but they can't put a simple merchandising deal together? :P
well its always been easier to spend money than it is to make money, especially when I'm spending your money and not mine :P

― Theodore Roosevelt
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

CUDA wrote:I would be posting the same thread if Fox had been selling republican merchandise.
Ah, but what amuses me is that you think the lefties/liberals would complain more loudly ("imagine the uproar...!") than righties/conservatives.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

actually thats incorrect. I feel they would be screaming just as loud :)

― Theodore Roosevelt
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

CUDA wrote:because it's poor judgment for the parent company of a news org to be selling memorabilia exclusive to one party. could you imagine the uproar from the left if Fox was selling Bush memorabilia?
They absolutely have a right to sell it and in a monetary stance. it might be profitable in the short term, but it could be disastrous for the long term health of a "NEWS" organization. as a news org you should at least TRY to have the appearance of being unbiased. NBC/MSNBC has always been perceived as leaning left, this just adds fuel to those that feel they are on the DNC payroll. IMHO its a very short sighted decision
I understand what you're saying. However, there has never been an unbiased "fair and balanced" news organization throughout the entirety of human history. And ever since 60 minutes showed the way all those years ago, newsies are in the business of making money. So while I agree with you in principal, this thread and the uproar portrayed in it make as much sense to me as someone complaining that the wasp they are holding in the hand just stung them. :wink: