God Logic

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

God Logic

Post by woodchip »

I present to you a proof God does not exist. Have fun:

\"The argument goes something like this: \"I refuse to prove that I exist,\" says God, \"for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.\"
\"But,\" says Man, \"the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.\"
\"Oh dear,\" says God, \"I hadn't thought of that,\" and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.\"
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Someone needs to play more video games. :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'll point out the theological flaw:

God will do what He likes, and as a result, our demands/whims aren't catered to. (As a rule- exceptions do exist- but then maybe they aren't so much demands.) Thus, our demands for specific acts of proof are denied most of the time.

On the other hand, the Bible says that evidence of God's existence and action are everywhere around us, even within us- thus we have no excuse for not believing.

Finally, the \"without faith, I am nothing\" part is pretty random, too. I think it's an attempt to explain why God decided to make us the way that He did... for which ultimately we don't have a pat answer.

Of course, if you want to throw out/ignore what the Bible has to say about God, then you're welcome to come up with whatever straw-man God you'd like to.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: God Logic

Post by Duper »

woodchip wrote:I present to you a proof God does not exist. Have fun:

"The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."
*sigh*

I call plagiarism. :roll:
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I don't know about proving god one way or the other but you managed to show us that snoopy forgot to put on his sense of humor before he went out to play this morning ;)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Will Robinson wrote:I don't know about proving god one way or the other but you managed to show us that snoopy forgot to put on his sense of humor before he went out to play this morning ;)
Meh. I guess I was in the mood to bite.

Maybe it was just too far from the truth to seem funny. (Also, I generally read joke/non implications into the choice of forum.)
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Oh no.. another one of these..

All I'm gonna say about this is - If there is no god and his angels, there must not be no Satan and his demons therefore proving the movie Paranormal Activity as a fake because supernatural forces have been done away with in a puff of logic.

By all means, Forgive my 16 year old reasoning if i missed something or left a hole for you guys to rip wide open :| :| :|
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

S13driftAZ wrote:Oh no.. another one of these..

All I'm gonna say about this is - If there is no god and his angels, there must not be no Satan and his demons therefore proving the movie Paranormal Activity as a fake because supernatural forces have been done away with in a puff of logic.

By all means, Forgive my 16 year old reasoning if i missed something or left a hole for you guys to rip wide open :| :| :|
Well if anything you believe anchors on the veracity of a Hollywood movie.... ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

S13driftAZ wrote:Oh no.. another one of these..

This was supposed to be a fun thread about logic twists that prove or disprove God's existence. Fail.
:roll:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Duper wrote:

"The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."
*sigh*

You did notice the quotes? Please tell me you saw the quotes. :roll:
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Sounds familiar. Doug Adams?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

woodchip wrote:
Duper wrote:

*sigh*

They weren't there before Duper's post. I call edit shenanigans :wink:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

woodchip wrote:You did notice the quotes? Please tell me you saw the quotes. :roll:
I had a college prof. tell me a story about copy-pasting an entire paper, with the proper citation, and getting an A on it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Dedman wrote:
woodchip wrote:
Duper wrote:

*sigh*

They weren't there before Duper's post. I call edit shenanigans :wink:
So where did you hide the reading glasses Mrs Dedman got you for your last birthday as the quotes were always there :wink:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What we learn from \"HitchHikers Guild..\" is that ANYTHING can be proven with logic, regardless of how absurd.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

*glances up at autographed Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent badges from COMDEX, Fall 2000*
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

woodchip wrote: This was supposed to be a fun thread about logic twists that prove or disprove God's existence. Fail.
:roll:
lighten up, i didn't interpret it that way. I cant see you manner of speaking on an internet forum.

Anyways,

I did think it was witty and kind of interesting.

So, god can choose to reveal himself at any time, but I believe he chooses not to because he wants to test us as humans to see if we have faith in him or not.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That would be “belief” not “faith”

“I believe in God, I have faith he will be merciful.”

And, that strikes me as pretty poor logic for something as intelligent as a god, I mean to leave one’s eternal fate to something as fallible as human belief.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Spidey wrote:And, that strikes me as pretty poor logic for something as intelligent as a god, I mean to leave one’s eternal fate to something as fallible as human belief.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or woodchip.

I'm gonna have to disagree with what you said above. I say that eternal fate rests not on belief, but faith. Its easy to believe, but to have faith is a tad different.

Another thing, I dont understand your reasoning on why you said what I said, was 'belief', not 'faith'.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If the response is not directed at someone by name, it usually means it’s directed @ the post above…for me anyway.

Sure, I suppose you can believe in god, and still not get into heaven, because you had not given control of you life to him. (or some other thing)

So, you’re probably right about faith vs. belief, faith is definitely harder, so that just sets the bar that much higher. (in regards to the “logic” thing)
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

"...Oh that was EASY says Man - who goes on to prove that Black is really white, then gets killed on a Zebra crossing"

Love that book. :P

(...Gee folks, remember when we used to let jokes be funny on these boards...

:lol: Never mind Woodchip - "these people are so amazingly un-hip it's a wonder their bums don't fall off!" :lol:
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Spidey wrote:that strikes me as pretty poor logic for something as intelligent as a god, I mean to leave one's eternal fate to something as fallible as human belief.
And yet at the same time, there are people who use that same human logic to disprove God.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Bet51987 wrote:But because God is all knowing and already has the answer from each of us, what is He testing?
That's assuming that he allows himself to know all things. We aren't programmed robots with a definite outcome. We have free will to do as we want.

Using the bible as a basis, Adam & Eve were given a choice. They could choose to submit to God's right to rule and set laws for them, or they could choose to abandon their creator and choose what they thought was best for themselves.

They chose and we all have the choice too (if you subscribe to what the bible teaches of course).

The only outcome that was inevitably known was that they were either going to do good, or to not do it. Could God have looked into the future and seen the outcome? By human standards and how we have "defined" God, yes.

But here again, we're now defining God by human limitations - what God sees or is able to do (or not do). God is not human, he's a spirit. Since we are not spirits, we cannot comprehend that realm (queue Carl Sagan's "Flat Land" explanation).
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Burlyman »

Gooberman wrote:Someone needs to play more video games. :)
I concur. :)

Go play a video game, woody. :P

But first tell me what QED stands for? Quantum electrodynamics? o_O
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

It's latin: quod erat demonstrandum. The literal meaning is \"which was to be demonstrated\". Basically, you go through a chain of argument, get to the fact you were trying to prove, and tell everybody you're done.

The term comes from mathematics. I generally take it to mean \"The proof is complete\" or perhaps more colloquially, \"I've made my point.\"