Lowest 1st year approval of any president in history

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Lowest 1st year approval of any president in history

Post by CUDA »

President Obama's job approval rating has fallen to 47 percent in the latest Gallup poll, the lowest ever recorded for any president at this point in his term.

The new low comes as Obama enters the home stretch in his push to enact his signature initiative, an overhaul of the nation's health care system, and escalates America's involvement in the Afghanistan war.

Below are comparable ratings for other presidents since Gallup began taking presidential approval polls in 1938:

-- George W. Bush, 86 percent
-- Bill Clinton, 52 percent
-- George H.W. Bush, 71 percent
-- Ronald Reagan, 49 percent
-- Jimmy Carter, 57 percent
-- Gerald Ford, 52 percent
-- Richard Nixon, 59 percent
-- Lyndon Johnson, 74 percent
-- John Kennedy, 77 percent
-- Dwight Eisenhower, 69 percent
-- Harry Truman, 49 percent

Franklin Roosevelt had been in office more than five years before Gallup began taking presidential approval polls. During his remaining years as president, Roosevelt never fell below 48 percent.

The poll is an average of a three-day tracking of 1,529 adults taken Dec. 4-6. It has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
Things arent looking good for President D'oh-Bama
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

He's coming out with a cash for caulkers incentive, to make people's homes green. And paying businesses to hire people through tax breaks. I'm sure it's going to help in some areas. But will cause a few million new jobs in 2010? Probably not.

His job is really hard. I do feel bad. He's trying to make a country that doesn't really produce anything, become valuable again. With a low dollar we should be able to sell services and goods to foreign nations, easier than before. But we're competing with other nations that can still do it cheaper.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

the Irony is that they keep extending the unemployment benefits, having done it twice now. Ironically its not your Tax dollars that are paying that. its the company's that layed the person off.. so here you are making the companies pay extended benefits to people who no longer work for them and expect them to hire new employees's at the same time :shock: its no wonder that the economy isnt turning around
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I'm not an Obama fan, but I think it's only fair to point out:
It has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
SO, that means Obama's rating is actualy somewhere between 44 and 50.

Assuming the other ratings have similar error percentages, if you drew the chart with error bars, Obama's rating would overlap with:
Bill Clinton (49-55)
Ronald Reagan (46-52)
Gerald Ford (49-55)
Harry Truman (46-52)

Error bars ARE important. :)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

TRUE, that being said his median average is still the lowest of all recorded Presidents. my prediction is that by Feb if things dont change drastically he'll be in the 30's
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

his economic plan is garbage, his health care plan is garbageX10, he is indecisive, and the democrat retards believe in him as much as the republican nuthangers believed in bush. The Great Mixed Hype.

★■◆●, mccain is looking good now. at least maybe we'd ACTUALLY do something about the pollution and energy problems in the USA by building some nuclear power plants instead of continuing this ★■◆●ing coal bull★■◆●.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Sadly, if I remember correctly, McCain's health care plan was rubbish as well. That was the one reason I refused to vote for him (I didn't vote at all by the way :().
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

These polls like this are meaningless for comparison. It doesn't take into account all the frustration people are feeling now in comparison to that of the others administrations. The last 10-12 years have been hard and people are more cynical now. Nothing more than a high school popularity contest.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Birdseye »

flip wrote:These polls like this are meaningless for comparison. It doesn't take into account all the frustration people are feeling now in comparison to that of the others administrations. The last 10-12 years have been hard and people are more cynical now. Nothing more than a high school popularity contest.

this is true, but its still interesting to see imo, especially for how big of a hard on europe has for obama
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Birdseye wrote:its still interesting to see imo, especially for how big of a hard on europe has for obama
Rooted in the fact that he's not an old white man -- europe thinks there's finaly some progression going on in the US. Too bad they don't know better..
ImageImage