Spending his way to popularity

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Spending his way to popularity

Post by TechPro »

Normally I try to avoid being critical of this nation's leaders because I figure I haven't earned the right to be critical (but have the right to vote my approval yes/no) ... but this is something that really bugs me.

Obama says the way to full economic recovery is to \"spend our way out\" ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091208/ap_ ... obama_jobs

IMHO, that approach is insanely stupid. Discuss.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well yes, and no.

In order for the economy to \"rebound\", money has to flow through it. That's the reason the Feds kept dropping interest rates; to encourage spending. .. usually in the form of debt based spending.

On the other hand, to maintain that stability and do well over the long haul, you need to save. A healthy recovery (one that will last) if done properly, will take some time. Probably 10 to 15 years. but since we we (as a nation) went from a $1+ trillion to over 12 nearly over night ... don't expect recovery ...True recovery ... any time soon. I doubt I'll live to see us clear this mire.

We need to spend, but not like we were 5 years ago.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

GDP is a fxn of CIG. Obama is only increasing G, and is screwing C and I.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

you realize Bush, his father, and Reagan all were massive deficit spenders that lined the pockets of corporate interest at massive tax payer expense and may eventually lead to the downfall of america to a mediocre country?. Reagan is the father of all our debt problems.

It's gonna be funny in like 50-100 years when they look back at the republican Voodoo Reaganomics of the 80s, earlyh 90s, and laugh at it being a viable economic option, kinda like how we look back at midevil times and are SHOCKED that people used bloodletting to try to cure illnesses like the plague.

soooooo sick
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm not sure that anyone here realizes that \"every\" recent president (last 100 Years) has done exactly the same thing. Maybe one actually knew what was going on and sacrificed himself. Surely people would pay attention then.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Birdseye »

flip wrote:I'm not sure that anyone here realizes that "every" recent president (last 100 Years) has done exactly the same thing. Maybe one actually knew what was going on and sacrificed himself. Surely people would pay attention then.

who and what are you replying to
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So Obama finds he has 200 billion paid back from Tarp funds. So what does he want to do? Why spend it...with the Dems raising the debt ceiling by another 1.8 trillion. Do any of our politicians have a clue as to how to control spending?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

There are no Democrats anymore. They're 'Corprocrats'! They only slightly differ from the Republican 'Corprocans' because 'Corprocans' base their ideology on Prosperity Theology. :P