Privacy, Cloud Computing, and the end of the PC?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Privacy, Cloud Computing, and the end of the PC?

Post by snoopy »

I don't have a story to that brought this on.

I have been watching ads, and reading articles in Newsweek, and some people seem to think that the PC is going away.

Here's my question: is privacy a anchient concept that no longer exists? People value privacy as a parallel to freedom- do you think that the two are necessarily tied? Do you think that it's possible to have next to zero privacy, and still have your freedom?

Here are my thoughts: Reduced privacy gives the government more power to enforce the law. At the same time, if you don't like the law, or you get too corrupt of leaders, you're forced into something that you don't like. Can the government be trusted to properly enforce the law, without abuse?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Privacy, Cloud Computing, and the end of the PC?

Post by dissent »

snoopy wrote:I have been ... reading articles in Newsweek ...
oh, so you're the guy ... :P

Here's my question: is privacy a anchient concept that no longer exists?

Can the government be trusted to properly enforce the law, without abuse?
No and no. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

dissent wrote:The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

snoopy wrote:Having information saved on a remote, secure computer accessed by a secure network = everyone knowing everything ever about your life = no right to act on free will.
LOGIC AT WORK!

ALSO, LAWS BEING ENFORCED: GOOD OR BAD?
Stay classy, Snoopy!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

1. I think that cloud computing as industry will use it and as the masses will use it will look very different.

Corporations will make sure that their data is secure, will refuse to sign any google/facebook-esque privacy agreements, and will pay high prices for it.

Individuals will go for the cheapest, most in-vogue service, and probably won't read the agreements that they are signing, resulting in their data being much more open to the server maintainer than they even realize. Google snoops on your gmail data, and few bat an eye at it. Why wouldn't they do the same for your file that you upload? And, why would they offer a free/cheap service if they didn't leverage your data?

There have already been cases/subpoenas to try to leverage data stored online without a warrant. How long do you think it will take for that to actually go through, and become a common-place thing? I'd bet that it'll get railroaded in in the name of national security shortly after the next big terrorism threat.... \"We could have stopped these guys a lot earlier if we have access to their emails\"... boom warrant-less wire taps, I mean email seizures. Since it can be automated, why not just have a big computer down in NSA's basement crunching stuff all the time. We could prevent so many terrorist acts, oh and by the way RIAA will pay us big bucks to scan for illegal media, too, so why not.

It's not really as far-fetched as you make it sound.

How are people supposed to use technology to better enforce the law without sometimes stepping over the line of \"innocent until proven guilty,\" and \"freedom of speech,\" especially if you try to take steps toward trying to prevent crimes using the technology.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

\"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been?
It's alright we know where you've been. \"

Heh. First thing I thought of.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

I thought people got tired of talking about \"cloud computing\" after 2009. :P
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I saw one of those new \"To the cloud\" Microsoft ads.