LAX shooting

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

LAX shooting

Post by Isaac »

This will be old news by the time you all read this post.

Right now it looks like the guy was targeting TSA agents:

LAPD Radio http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3711/web

CNN Live Video: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... ream1.html

Twitter (photos): https://twitter.com/TJD19083
Looks like there's an AR15 on the ground. Image

So far only one shooter, it looks. There's someone else in custody who was arrested in the parking area, but I'm not sure if it's related.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/us/lax-gunfire/
The gunman approached a checkpoint at Terminal 3 at 9:30 a.m. and began shooting at the TSA agent, according to a former ranking Los Angeles Police Department officer who was at the scene told CNN. He had multiple magazines for his weapon, according to the intelligence source briefed by Los Angeles police and a federal source.
Sounds like 1 dead 3 injured.

Shooter might of been a TSA agent. Not clear.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT
Law enforcement officials identify LAX shooting suspect as 23-year-old Paul Ciancia. A law enforcement official tells The AP the shooting suspect wrote a rant about killing TSA workers. An official said the suspect, from NJ, was wearing fatigues and carrying a bag containing a note.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: LAX shooting

Post by BUBBALOU »

My friend from the miltary works in the tower at LAX he worked till 1am last night and he woke to that news, he passes by that area of the terminal every day

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Wow. Can't imagine what he's going through.

As bad as it was, it's good that it wasn't worse. It could have been worse.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I wonder how many fewer shootings we would have if cable news style sensationalism didn't broadcast any of the killers info or motive.
For 99.999% of the audience we have no need to know anything about the killer or motive. For the remaining people who have a need to know the media is not their source for that info.

These killers who are trying to make a statement by way of their rage should be denied the megaphone of the media.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

yeah, i'd be pissed if they started hiding even more info from us.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well the solution would be, if you wanted that information, you could seek it out…instead of having it mega-casted.

I agree with Will.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Isaac wrote:yeah, i'd be pissed if they started hiding even more info from us.
broadcasting that info is like screaming "open fire" in a prison mental ward where you just unboxed a crate full of loaded rifles.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

no it's not
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Isaac wrote:no it's not
What harm would come from the media not giving any publicity to the shooters face, name, motive or grievance/message?

The whacko in LA said he was making a statement. He had the idea his reason for the murders would be prime time news material.
It serves no good purpose to provide these guys with a national podium.
It causes no harm to the public interest by not publicizing it.

I would also refuse to post body counts. No score board.

Adam Lanza had a giant wall poster with press clippings of body counts of other mass murderers in his bedroom. There is no doubt many of the mass killings are fueled with the desire to make sensational headlines. Remove the incentive to make themselves notorious.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

I'm torn on this one. I agree with aspects of what Will and Spidey say, but at the same time a greater understanding of why these things happen could help diagnose problems in the future. The media just continues to do what they do, sell sensationalism to increase ratings. I'm surprised CNN doesn't have a hologram reenactment ready for these things so Wolf Blitzer can give us a play by play while we shovel hot popcorn in our mouth while jerking off with the other.

Speaking of which, why is it always men?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

CobGobbler wrote:I'm torn on this one. I agree with aspects of what Will and Spidey say, but at the same time a greater understanding of why these things happen could help diagnose problems in the future. The media just continues to do what they do, sell sensationalism to increase ratings. I'm surprised CNN doesn't have a hologram reenactment ready for these things so Wolf Blitzer can give us a play by play while we shovel hot popcorn in our mouth while jerking off with the other.

Speaking of which, why is it always men?
I think the people who can develop useful understanding and contemplate cause and effect toward prevention don't need Sensational-Media to provide the details to them.

I find it extremely telling of the media's culpability in these massacres that they go to great lengths to publicize any whiff of the gory details and explore the perpetrators life ad naseum yet they completely buried the fact that Adam Lanza had a giant wall mural of all their publicized reports of previous school shooters in his room!
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Personally, I think the media is an extension of the American society. Our society is extremely violent. One only has to look at what fills our television screens to see what we enjoy. All of the "crime dramas" that fill the airwaves with blood and gore, best selling movies are full of the ultra violence that the droogs flock to. People want the gory details, otherwise it's a boring story.

On a side note of violence, a guy I worked with over the summer was just charged this evening in the murder of a woman. My mind is completely numb.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Reminds me of that Jim Carrey movie where his life is a movie and everyone knows it but him. The world is drawn to it, until the very minute the plug is pulled. Then they shrug and move on like nothing happened ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What I'd like to know is why he specifically chose the TSA to go after? I mean, did they strip search him or something and it pissed him off?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

tunnelcat wrote:What I'd like to know is why he specifically chose the TSA to go after? I mean, did they strip search him or something and it pissed him off?
he was just there.....he had moved out there from Jersey early in the year, as I gather. He was, as an aside, a graduate of the local Catholic High School, here in Delaware. The locals are so proud.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, but as he walked along, he asked people if they were TSA, then moved on without shooting if they said "no". And he had a handwritten note stating his specific hatred of the TSA and that he:
"‘wanted to instill fear into their traitorous minds. ”
Where did the traitorous minds thing come from? It's just weird. They don't even carry guns.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

maybe he had a bad check-in experience on his flight to LA from New Jersey?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

He got pissed off because he was body searched, either by that machine or some TSA people? Seems to be an extreme reaction I'd say.