Don't Show your US flag on Cinco de Mayo

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Don't Show your US flag on Cinco de Mayo

Post by Heretic »

Some much for being An American and being proud of the US flag. Should we also take down the US flag during the Cinco de Mayo? Gang violence threats within the a school, and after a near-violent altercation had erupted during the Cinco de Mayo over the display of an American flag of course from the ones offended by the US flag. So how do we appease the gangs? Is by tell student of America not to display the flag of their country during a Mexican holiday being celebrated IN America.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/justice/c ... index.html
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Don't Show your US flag on Cinco de Mayo

Post by callmeslick »

from your linked article:
"Judges said the civil rights case forced them to weigh the difficult question of what takes precedence: students' free speech rights or school safety concerns?"

so, in no way was it the Hispanic students call to not see American flag shirts. The school felt that there might be some wearing them to purposely provoke others. Of course, we'll avoid the old debate about proper display of the flag here, but I think you are WAY overreacting here, Heretic.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Curtailing Free Speech because a group of Hispanic or Latino's make threats towards youngster showing in pride you their flag is the way to go? Shouldn't the bigots making the threats be the ones to be punished?

Edit: Don't forget my Mexican heritage. before you call me a bigot.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Heretic wrote:Curtailing Free Speech because a group of Hispanic or Latino's make threats towards youngster showing in pride you their flag is the way to go? Shouldn't the bigots making the threats be the ones to be punished?
sure, once you figure out who the true bigots were. The school was simply trying to keep a calm atmosphere. Plenty of instances, in such a setting for restricted free speech, in precedent law.

Edit: Don't forget my Mexican heritage. before you call me a bigot.
no intention of it, frankly, it never occurred to me.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

But it is OK to observe a foreign nations freedom day? What has Cinco de Maya to do with America? Should we also celebrate Bastille Day? China's Independence Day?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:But it is OK to observe a foreign nations freedom day?
sure, why not? Would you prefer we celebrate May Day?
What has Cinco de Maya to do with America? Should we also celebrate Bastille Day? China's Independence Day?
certain areas in Northern States have been known to have Bastille Day celebrations. Like Cinco, nothing really serious, just an excuse to party or have a good time. Sometimes, reactionary, jingoistic loons piss on the parade, but life is like that. :frown:
George Orwell---"1984"
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

I would have to say the ones running around threatening violence were the bigoted ones.

Edit: I also think the US courts and politicians bend over to far backwards for my ex country men
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Heretic wrote:I would have to say the ones running around threatening violence were the bigoted ones.
that would be my first guess, but what was the motivation of those who decided to fly the American flag during the previous celebration? Would you guess they were so overtly patriotic any other day of the year? My suspicions say that is unlikely. As the court brief noted, racial tensions all around.
Edit: I also think the US courts and politicians bend over to far backwards for my ex country men
I don't. In fact, in some respects, I think they allow them to be screwed over.....more the police than the courts or pols(example--
the woman in NYC who just got killed, along with her kids, after filing two reports of abuse in Spanish that no one bothered to translate). Overall, my experience is that Mexicans assimilate pretty damned well....every bit as well as every other ethnic group that has come here. It isn't like I'm in some cocoon here. Mexican workers have been the backbone of the mushroom houses a few miles to my north, and now, after a few decades, have moved into other businesses, started restaurants, shops, etc. Down in VA, the migrant field workers have been Mexican for a while, and they, too, assimilate into very proud Americans quite quickly.
George Orwell---"1984"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

In my day the school/faculty would have had enough respect from the students that there would have been no need for pre-emptive measures that violate one party out of fear the other might cause problems.

We were able to eat with sharp steel knives in the cafeteria.....no one got stabbed....

It may have been the 'lesser of two evils' in this case but what purpose is served by setting the standard so low?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:In my day the school/faculty would have had enough respect from the students that there would have been no need for pre-emptive measures that violate one party out of fear the other might cause problems.

We were able to eat with sharp steel knives in the cafeteria.....no one got stabbed....

It may have been the 'lesser of two evils' in this case but what purpose is served by setting the standard so low?
Will, unless I read this wrong, the restraint on flying the flag came the year after violence occurred. Would your school have reacted similarly had there been previous incidents? I would see the case differently, if the school took it upon itself, with no prior
incident, to do what it did. That was not the case, hence the ruling went the way it did.

Glad to hear they entrusted you with metal knives and no one got hurt. Ah, the good old days! :)
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:In my day the school/faculty would have had enough respect from the students that there would have been no need for pre-emptive measures that violate one party out of fear the other might cause problems.

Will, unless I read this wrong, the restraint on flying the flag came the year after violence occurred. Would your school have reacted similarly had there been previous incidents? I would see the case differently, if the school took it upon itself, with no prior
incident, to do what it did. That was not the case, hence the ruling went the way it did.

Glad to hear they entrusted you with metal knives and no one got hurt. Ah, the good old days! :)
Well, if the Americans are going to be *ussy about things then VIVA MEXICO!

You gringos better leave the southwest from California to Texas all the way up to Montana.

Being hispanic (as leftist democrats would have you call me) I have no problem becoming part of greater Mexico- IF the United States is doomed to the dustbin of history (as the left is determined to take it.)

So you better not bring your ugly white gringo face around my barrio, Slick. My homies and I will make sure you stay out!
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

ThunderBunny wrote:Well, if the Americans are going to be *ussy about things then VIVA MEXICO!

You gringos better leave the southwest from California to Texas all the way up to Montana.

Being hispanic (as leftist democrats would have you call me) I have no problem becoming part of greater Mexico- IF the United States is doomed to the dustbin of history (as the left is determined to take it.)

So you better not bring your ugly white gringo face around my barrio, Slick. My homies and I will make sure you stay out!
:roll:
George Orwell---"1984"
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Let me help you out with this. It's more than whether someone should be able to fly an American flag, or whether someone is trying to instigate something by flying an American flag... Those people should be flying American flags during their celebration. Every U.S. citizen ought to value their country enough that they should want to. You're welcome. Wonder no more. [/topic] :wink:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
They do in the White house
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think if some of the students want to express some push back by representing the home team that should be fine. Wear your team,s colors etc.

The way it used to be was, regardless of whether it was the home team fans or the visiting team fans, if they got out of line there were consequences.

So, back in the day, If there had been people breaking the law previously then they would step up the security and remind those students that rules will be enforced.
Not teach them that if they cause enough trouble you can make the authority change policy. They call that terrorism, or jihad, depending on what kind of head gear your teacher wears.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:
links? Or lie?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:
links? Or lie?
"White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told high school students in May 2009 that one of her favorite political philosophers was Mao Tse Tung, the Communist dictator responsible for the death of millions of people"

I suspect Ms Dunn had secret May Day celebrations in her cubicle along with her buddy Van Jones.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:"White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told high school students in May 2009 that one of her favorite political philosophers was Mao Tse Tung, the Communist dictator responsible for the death of millions of people"

I suspect Ms Dunn had secret May Day celebrations in her cubicle along with her buddy Van Jones.
pretty much what I suspected....another flagrant lie to justify your warped view of reality. Fail.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:"White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told high school students in May 2009 that one of her favorite political philosophers was Mao Tse Tung, the Communist dictator responsible for the death of millions of people"

pretty much what I suspected....another flagrant lie to justify your warped view of reality. Fail.
Since you have such close ties with the administration, prove the Obama clandestine commie lovers don't have statues of Lenin, Trotsky, Mao and Stalin hidden in the Rose Garden.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

:lol:
wow, that level of dimwitted must be a painful burden.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote::lol:
wow, that level of dimwitted must be a painful burden.
And that level of dimwittedness that can't see you are being trolled is the really painful thing to see.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I see it, it's just sad that you've sunk to that level. One of the things CUDA touted, and I'd mostly seen, was how free of that sort of stuff was done here. Getting a bit frustrated by reality, huh? :)
George Orwell---"1984"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I don't like it.

Sure... people shouldn't be jerks and shouldn't push other people's buttons....

But somehow I think we need to maintain the distinction between violence being criminal and goading people on being just stupid. If someone make you angry, you still need to be the one who's responsible for what you do when you're angry.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan