[Split from Café] Crimea

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

[Split from Café] Crimea

Post by sigma »

By the way, the Crimea was annexed (returned) to the territory of the Russia by popular referendum population of Crimea with 98% of votes. While, as Hawaii were forcibly captured and annexed to the United States.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Hi, I'm new and saying hello

Post by Sirius »

...what does that have to do with this thread? Even mentioning Crimea is like throwing a match into a powder keg around here.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Of course, you are not going to discuss the history of Hawaii! :)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

To begin with, why a discussion about history would be necessary at all on a thread about an old Descent fella returning here? :huh:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I already knew that the Americans always think of the purity of the content when they do not want to discuss the tough questions. Although other topics does not bother you leap on other topics of discussion.
I am not surprised that American hypocrisy already. If the police would beat Ukraine man, then the US start screaming about human rights abuses. While in America the police brutally suppressed popular indignation, not caring about human rights.
It is always possible to create a new theme from the other, but you do not want to discuss that pricks your eyes. :lol:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

This just isn't the place for it, Sigma. You're turning a casual, light, friendly topic in the Cafe into Ethics & Commentary. You wouldn't turn dinner conversation at a family get-together to something really dark just for the hell of it and then accuse those you've offended of avoiding the topic, do you? A little respect is all that's being asked for here.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

no problem. There really is not a place to discuss such topics.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Also, both Sirius and me are not even from the USA to begin with! (although Sirius is living on there due to his work, AFAIK); So this is not something about some 'Americans' trying to cover something or avoid tough talking, we simply think this is not the place for this completely off-topic stuff, as it's just an innocent thread about an old friend, nothing more, nothing less. ;)

However, feel free to discuss those historical matters on a new E&C topic, I don't think there would be a problem with that.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I almost forgot to say hello to the new noob :) Hi, Xciter. I hope you will not disappoint me in the D3 and SOLC multiplayer :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Hi, I think my opinions are on topic in any thread.

Post by sigma »

Who dared to create this topic?!

I did not give my permission to create new topics in my name to anybody!

Can not you just write me a private message, so that we understand each other? If such methods have been used moderators, I can assure you that they do not solve the problem of misunderstanding, and only discredit the administration of the forum, and the whole forum.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Sigma,

Your posts above were in a Café thread, where the topic of Crimea did not belong. Those posts were simply split/moved (not by me) to Ethics & Commentary, where this kind of political discussion belongs.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Foil wrote:Sigma,

Your posts above were in a Café thread, where the topic of Crimea did not belong. Those posts were simply split/moved (not by me) to Ethics & Commentary, where this kind of political discussion belongs.
This is not an excuse to create new themes on behalf of other members of the forum.
The phrase "I think my opinions are on topic in any thread" can be applied to nearly every member of the forum.
I believe that you must admit that you acted too emotionally and correct your mistake.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Again, it was not me. I'm not the one who moved and re-titled the posts.

If you'd like to file a complaint with the administrators, post it in the DBB Feedback section.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm a member of the club.

I really prefer to have eggs and bacon for breakfast over pancakes.

[To Sigma's anger: it's one thing for a mod to point out and correct a miss-use of the forum's categories, and with a little bit of critical reading it's mostly possible to tell what words are whose... but on the surface what was done attributes words to Sigma that aren't his, which is a bit abusive - I too would prefer if mods made a point to attribute their insertions to themselves (even if semi-anonymously as "mod"), like Foil does when he makes things red.]
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: [Split from Café] Crimea

Post by Foil »

[mod]The thread title has been edited.[/mod]
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Foil wrote:Again, it was not me. I'm not the one who moved and re-titled the posts.
You want to say that it did the FBI or NSA? Well, it's nice to know that the staff of the security services play in Descent and visit this forum :mrgreen:
Foil wrote:If you'd like to file a complaint with the administrators, post it in the DBB Feedback section.
I will not complain to anyone. Just may be the administration of the forum should be a little more respect for the members of the forum.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Sigma, I do not even have the ability to move or re-title posts from the Café. My moderator powers only exist here in E&C.

I don't know who moved and re-titled the posts. It could have been one of the Café moderators, or it might have been an administrator. Either way, if you are going to make a complaint, the place to do so is the DBB Feedback section.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Foil wrote:[mod]The thread title has been edited.[/mod]
Thank you for understanding. However, I insist that it was stated that this topic was created not by me.
Of course, if you have enough influence and power to do so.
In addition, I want to moderator who believes it possible to use a position of responsibility to demonstrate his personal complexes will be issued a stern warning.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

foil has Powers? Who knew?

beyond that, no comment on this thread, because anyone who views the 'referendum' in the Crimea as being anything more than forced and coerced by jackbooted thugs too cowardly to show their faces, the license plates on their vehicles or any proper military ID, is insane.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Give sigma the benefit of doubt. Our nation hasn't exactly been a shining example towards the peoples of other lands either. His comment about white man exterminating or repressing native Americans is spot on. The white Europeans who emigrated here committed genocide in order to clear out the natives, all to create their new nation. We always like to sweep that dirty and inconvenient little detail under the rug. They also enslaved people from Africa to run their multitudinous New World colony's economies. Even Puerto Rico and quite a few South Pacific Island nations don't exactly like us for our "annexations" of their islands as not-quite-US-citizens-commonwealths, or past abuses of the land because of our nuclear testing either. So those who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones, especially us.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Look, I drew a parallel between the Crimea and Hawaii, as an example of what Russia annexed the Crimea at the request of its citizens, while Hawaii was forced to join the US and the opinions of the Hawaiians were not asked whether they want to be part of the US or not.
This topic is generally that should be called "[Split from Café]Hawaii".
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:Look, I drew a parallel between the Crimea and Hawaii, as an example of what Russia annexed the Crimea at the request of its citizens, while Hawaii was forced to join the US and the opinions of the Hawaiians were not asked whether they want to be part of the US or not.
The reason is, once you make comments that deal with politics, it automatically becomes commentary and ethics.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:
sigma wrote:Look, I drew a parallel between the Crimea and Hawaii, as an example of what Russia annexed the Crimea at the request of its citizens, while Hawaii was forced to join the US and the opinions of the Hawaiians were not asked whether they want to be part of the US or not.
The reason is, once you make comments that deal with politics, it automatically becomes commentary and ethics.
OK
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Especially around here. Some people tend to get very opinionated when their nationhood is being questioned, especially by a Russian. :lol: I wouldn't take insult sigma, it's all part of the game. Just keep on commenting. If something gets moved into another section, it's OK, people will follow. By the way, it's nice to hear the opinions of other people from other nations. We do tend to get insular in the U.S. :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I am ready to go to a reasonable compromise. At least, this topic should be renamed as "[Split from Café] Crimea&Hawaii".
And necessarily indicate the actual author who create this topic because I did not create this topic.
I will require it every day until I will achieve the result.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Just go edit the first post in the thread. You can change the title as desired.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This should be corrected to those who blame
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm closing this. If you have something to say about the way you were moderated, then start a thread in the Feedback Forum. If anyone wants to actually discuss Crimea and/or Hawaii, then feel free to start a new thread.