Forward!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Forward!

Post by Nightshade »

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Forward!

Post by Top Gun »

You really need to stop reminding us all about how political cartoonists are just people who dropped out of art school. I'm sure they already feel bad enough about it themselves.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote:You really need to stop reminding us all about how political cartoonists are just people who dropped out of art school. I'm sure they already feel bad enough about it themselves.
So it doesn't bother you at all that we have a media working hand in hand with a single political party as a willing propaganda apparatus?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

^^^^
should I even answer that?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
Top Gun wrote:You really need to stop reminding us all about how political cartoonists are just people who dropped out of art school. I'm sure they already feel bad enough about it themselves.
So it doesn't bother you at all that we have a media working hand in hand with a single political party as a willing propaganda apparatus?
I don't watch Fox news much, so it doesn't really bother me.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
I don't watch Fox news much, so it doesn't really bother me.
...right. The republicans "have" Fox...but the left has CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, PBS, MSNBC and so on.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nah, reality just has a liberal bias, right?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That "supposed" cartoon of Hillary looks a lot like Trump, down to the same orange, backward comb over. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Top Gun wrote:Nah, reality just has a liberal bias, right?
What the hell does that even mean?

I asked you this before, if “reality” has a liberal bias, then why is the universe such a hostile place?

What does that mean?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It means that certain people continually ★■◆● about various news organizations having a "liberal bias," even when said news organizations are reporting basic factual information. Ergo, if we follow that (il)logic to its conclusion, reality itself must have a liberal bias.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Spidey wrote:What the hell does that even mean?
I prefer "facts have a liberal bias." I take it to mean when we learn new things, we're forced to confront the old ways of viewing the world. It's a driver for change, which conservatives are typically against. This is, of course, a great generalization.

Then there's the studies and polls that show Fox News viewers are the most misinformed. Take, for instance, Nightshade's image. White Water? Really?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Ok I get it.

Of course that also draws some conclusions that not everyone agrees with.

Yes indeed…facts have a liberal bias…

When:
Slaves helped build the White House, becomes “slaves built the White House” then yes…facts certainly take on a liberal bias.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote:It means that certain people continually ★■◆● about various news organizations having a "liberal bias," even when said news organizations are reporting basic factual information. Ergo, if we follow that (il)logic to its conclusion, reality itself must have a liberal bias.
The unfortunate connotation of "liberal" today is being a closed-minded intolerant leftist militant that screams that all dissent against this ideology must be squelched and destroyed.

Reality is simply that...but todays "liberal/progressive" is known for completely dismissing reality when it doesn't align with their twisted world view.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Yes indeed…facts have a liberal bias…

When:
Slaves helped build the White House, becomes “slaves built the White House” then yes…facts certainly take on a liberal bias.
What a strange nit to pick.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote:The unfortunate connotation of "liberal" today is being a closed-minded intolerant leftist militant that screams that all dissent against this ideology must be squelched and destroyed.

Reality is simply that...but todays "liberal/progressive" is known for completely dismissing reality when it doesn't align with their twisted world view.
You really have no earthly concept of how normal people think or act, do you?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote:The unfortunate connotation of "liberal" today is being a closed-minded intolerant leftist militant that screams that all dissent against this ideology must be squelched and destroyed.

I actually laughed out loud. So dramatic!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote: You really have no earthly concept of how normal people think or act, do you?
Define "normal".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I dunno, people who aren't the distorted perceptions of an LSD-induced bender?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I think you should have chosen 'sensible' or 'most' instead of 'normal', but I got your gist, and you are correct. Now, if the damned bartender would get my Sapphire and Tonic over here, I can return to real fun. Can't wait to hear Joe and the Prez unload tonight. I suspect this might be the attack the opposition night, as opposed to starting out that way on the first day or two like normal conventions. Funny about the talk of chaos.....I was reminiscing about the first convention I attended with my Dad. What a choice, 1968 in Chicago!
This is the third Dem convention I've ever been to, and it is a unique spectacle.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote:I dunno, people who aren't the distorted perceptions of an LSD-induced bender?
Really? So what do you think of people that don't share the "liberal" ideology?

How would you characterize them?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I characterize them by, y'know, listening to them and making a judgement call.

[removed]
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote:Really? So what do you think of people that don't share the "liberal" ideology?
Define liberal ideology. I need another laugh.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote:
Nightshade wrote:Really? So what do you think of people that don't share the "liberal" ideology?
Define liberal ideology. I need another laugh.
You didn't answer.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote:I characterize them by, y'know, listening to them and making a judgement call.
Loon? I'm a moderate centrist. How can a moderate centrist be a loon?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Your political ideology has absolutely nothing to do with your grasp on reality, and you demonstrate the lack thereof on a daily basis.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:It means that certain people continually ★■◆● about various news organizations having a "liberal bias," even when said news organizations are reporting basic factual information. Ergo, if we follow that (il)logic to its conclusion, reality itself must have a liberal bias.
Lets see how this happens. Whens the last time you heard the press ask Chelsea Clinton about how her father treats women. Now find out how often the press ask Ivanka Trump about how her father treats women. Maybe then you will understand the liberal bias in the press.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

[moderator]

Reminder:
  • Debate is fine
  • Personal shots are not

[/moderator]
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:
Lets see how this happens. Whens the last time you heard the press ask Chelsea Clinton about how her father treats women. Now find out how often the press ask Ivanka Trump about how her father treats women. Maybe then you will understand the liberal bias in the press.
That question would be very personal to Chelsea. I'm sure she has an opinion, but she'll probably keep it to herself since Bill Clinton is her father. It's a private matter. Sure, Bill Clinton was a womanizing cad, but that's between Hillary, Chelsea and Bill, since no breakup happened. It's also one of the reasons I don't like him. He couldn't keep his fly zipped while doing his job for the people.

Trump on the other hand has been married 3 times, the last time preferring a younger woman over his previous wife, and has publicly called women he dislikes some pretty nasty names, like "fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals", plus a cringe worthy comment straight from his TV show. And did anyone happen to notice that after Ivanka got done speaking at the convention and Trump came out, he put his arm around her and then proceeded to point right at her breasts, like they were HIS trophies. :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -fat-pigs/

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Does that cartoon really express how you feel about the situation?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote:Does that cartoon really express how you feel about the situation?
About media bias? Yes.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I suppose they did give Trump all that coverage during the primaries. I could probably contort myself into believing that is pro-Clinton bias.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Vander wrote:I suppose they did give Trump all that coverage during the primaries. I could probably contort myself into believing that is pro-Clinton bias.
Was the media manipulated into covering Trump or does is brand of ridiculousness just sell too good for media to resist!?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I absolutely believe Trump got the amount of coverage he did because he was a D list celebrity saying outrageous things in a field of boring politicians to an audience that would rather be entertained than informed. He was savvy enough to continuously say outrageous things to dominate 24 hour cable news cycles.

But, if there was a Clinton bias, all they had to do was keep feeding the complete absurdity that is a Trump candidacy to get the weakest opponent for Clinton. Win/Win.

I don't really believe that, but there is a certain logic to it.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: there is a certain logic to it.
Of course there is. That's the outcome they worked hard to engineer. Looks like they succeeded.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Some things that also needed to be "engineered" for the theory to hold:

* "The liberal media" must have stoked establishment resentment which made the outsider more possible. I don't know where the point between reporting on and encouraging is, but I'm not sure it was crossed. Was it "the liberal media" that stoked a backlash to immigration reform?

* "The liberal media" must have engineered support for Trump starting at least as far back as July 2015, when he took the lead in the polls he never relinquished.

* Conservative media must have been in on the fix, at least from late 2015 on. More and more jumped on the bandwagon when his poll numbers didn't drop.

* Early Trump supporters must have been consumers of the "liberal media." (which happened to be a target of early Trump rhetoric which probably gained him support) Do you think woodchip habitually watches the CBS Evening news?

* And then these Republican consumers of the "liberal media" turned out in record numbers to vote for Trump. The theory neatly downplays them.

This all seems like a thin needle to thread when a pretty obvious alternative is available. There was a backlash against establishment Republicans who were trying to push through immigration reform in an effort to gain hispanic voters. (among plenty of other things) This happened well before Trump, but he capitalized on it at the very start by saying he wanted to build a wall. He's instantly the frontrunner in polls. His follow up was calling McCain a loser. EVERY TALKING HEAD EVERYWHERE SAID HE WAS DONE. He didn't drop in polls. A couple months of bombast, and he shows no signs of losing support.

So now you own a 24 hour news network, and the Republican frontrunner is a minor league celebrity with a penchant for saying wild and outlandish things. How do you not cover that? If you don't cover it, people will cry "liberal media." (at least Trump supporters, of which there were many!) Of course they should be covering more legitimate stories, but that costs money and people don't want to eat their vegetables. You're in the business of selling advertising. No, you're going to host talking head round tables to discuss that crazy thing Trump said today. It's marginally news, and it's a whole lot cheaper than sending a team out to investigate real news. That, and it's entertaining! People watched! It's capitalism, baby!

Some liberal media.

*edit

The liberal media didn't rip out Rubio's heart and show it to him while he repeated the same talking point for the third time in a row, Christie did.

The liberal media didn't make Jeb! the most bland pol you ever saw. You can clap now.

The liberal media didn't make Cruz the most despised member of the Senate by his own colleagues, he did that all by himself.

Trump is a fluke. A perfect storm. If you want to blame anyone or anything for him, you can blame his voters.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Vander wrote:The liberal media didn't make Jeb! the most bland pol you ever saw. You can clap now.
Oh man I like that Jeb! guy. I don't know why it is, I just find that "please clap" thing hilarious, but more laughing with him than at him. This election would be so much better with Jeb!
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote:
Vander wrote:The liberal media didn't make Jeb! the most bland pol you ever saw. You can clap now.
Oh man I like that Jeb! guy. I don't know why it is, I just find that "please clap" thing hilarious, but more laughing with him than at him. This election would be so much better with Jeb!
Instead, we're getting two democrats to choose from. One a conman with bad hair...the other, a criminal that wears pantsuits.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote:
Trump is a fluke. A perfect storm. If you want to blame anyone or anything for him, you can blame his voters.
A very convenient "fluke" for Hillary.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote:Trump is a fluke. A perfect storm.
A very convenient "fluke" for Hillary.[/quote]
True, and while it is fun to indulge in conspiracy thinking (I'm guilty of it), the writing has been on the wall for years. This is how a party collapses.

In 2008, the GOP offered McCain (an Ok candidate) and Palin (WTF?). They lost dismally.
In 2012, the GOP offered the guy who lost to McCain the previous election. They were crushed handily.
In 2016, long time GOP players are now endorsing a Democrat.

It's over.