Charged with blasphemy in Saudi Arabia...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Charged with blasphemy in Saudi Arabia...

Post by Nightshade »

...no wait...

Comedian Stephen Fry Is Under Investigation for Blasphemy in Ireland
The very idea of blasphemy laws sounds so foreign to American ears, doesn't it? To be honest, when I hear the mention of anti-blasphemy statutes, my mind goes straight to the Middle East and nations that practice Sharia law. But, believe it or not, comedian Stephen Fry is in hot water over blasphemy laws—and you won't believe where the complaint originated.

The Gardaí—the Irish police—are looking into a complaint from a man in the appropriately named town of Donnybrook who has invoked the country's Defamation Act over the comedian's statements on a series called The Meaning of Life. The Independent (Ireland) reports that the show's host, Gay Byrne, asked Fry what he would ask God if he met the Almighty at the pearly gates.

Mr Fry replied: "How dare you create a world in which there is such misery? It’s not our fault? It’s not right. It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?"

[...]

He added: "Because the god who created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac, an utter maniac, totally selfish.

"We have to spend our lives on our knees thanking him. What kind of god would do that?"

Ireland's Defamation Act, a statute that went into effect in 2010, declares that anyone who publishes or utters blasphemous material should be subject to a fine of no more than €25,000.

The interesting twist in this matter is that the man who reported Fry's offense didn't find himself personally offended by the statement. Rather, he admitted that he believed that since Fry had committed criminal blasphemy, he felt the need to report the crime.

The broadcast aired in February 2015, and the unnamed complainant noted that he received a perfunctory acknowledgment upon his first reporting the issue. However, when he followed up with the Gardaí a year later, he "got a standard 'we have received your letter'" from the police commissioner's office. In fact, a source within the Gardaí told the Independent that it was "highly unlikely" that a prosecution would follow.

Naturally, Fry's representative told the Independent that the comedian had no comment. And, just as predictably, Ireland's atheists and Left-leaning politicians have rallied to Fry's side.
https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/05/08/co ... n-ireland/

It's crazy to see this in a western country, but it seems this is actually a thing.

Now, my question is- will 'left-leaning' people come to someone's defense if they're accused of blasphemy anywhere else? Say...Egypt? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Turkey? (Er, yeah...basically anywhere islam has political power.)
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Charged with blasphemy in Saudi Arabia...

Post by callmeslick »

they have most every time, so why wouldn't they continue??
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Care to give a example of a muslim nation defending the right of a citizen to blaspheme Allah?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

that wasn't the question. Try to keep up.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Charged? Nope. Another TB wad of bull★■◆●.

Ino order to be charged, the police have to complete an investigation -- which didn't last long.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/mobile.nyti ... y.amp.html
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
Now, my question is- will 'left-leaning' people come to someone's defense if they're accused of blasphemy anywhere else? Say...Egypt? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Turkey? (Er, yeah...basically anywhere islam has political power.)
my question to Woody is, this is what passes for reading comprehension when composing your snarky replies?
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’m confused… :?

My guess would be that people on the left would not come to the defense of people charged with blasphemy in Muslim countries, simply out of fear and the entire meddling issue.

But that being said...there are always a few brave souls...
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

always are, always have been.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:I’m confused… :?

My guess would be that people on the left would not come to the defense of people charged with blasphemy in Muslim countries, simply out of fear and the entire meddling issue.

But that being said...there are always a few brave souls...
That's why liberals are called "bleeding hearts". :wink:

What's interesting are the number of countries who DO have blasphemy laws. Not surprising, most if not all of them are Muslim. But what IS surprising are the number of non-Muslim countries that have some form of these laws on their books, as of 2014, including Ireland.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... blasphemy/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.