A response to Manchester...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: A response to Manchester...

Post by Ferno »

No wonder you're so obsessed with islam. You got scared. TC had you nailed.

And I really doubt those were the exact words he used - you have six feet under in single quotation marks.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:No wonder you're so obsessed with islam. You got scared. TC had you nailed.

And I really doubt those were the exact words he used - you have six feet under in single quotation marks.
*facepalm*

Whatever dude. I know what I heard, I was there.

And no. I wasn't exactly scared at the time- just puzzled. I didn't develop a hatred for the ideology of islam until I learned more about it after 9/11.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:So you had one bad personal experience that's directly analogous to a Bible-thumper stating that you'll go directly to hell if you don't accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior on the spot...and because of that you have a massive hate-on for an entire religion. Wow.
bingo.

By contrast, I have been in steady contact with literally dozens of Muslims my entire career since undergrad school. Never been asked to convert, have had several pleasant conversations about Islam and the Koran, never a threat. I don't even see those words cited by NS as scary, probably meaning, 'before you die' in the sense of 'during your lifetime'. Sheesh, all this hate from what was likely an innocent gesture.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:and, when you have zero empathy, sense or willingness to learn what most in this thread have at least a passing knowledge of, best just to keep the trap closed:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

until some Westerners get the fact that equating a religion, during a Holy month, with killing just might offend sincerely religious people, we're screwed. Because a segment of those offended souls might become radicalized, but the larger issue(far larger) is that a lot of sincerely religious people will give just a wee bit smaller of a ★■◆● about Westerners getting killed by the radical minority amongst them.
I would expect people like slick to wave a leftist liberal rag as real news.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:Could someone just put this fucker out of the world's collective misery already?
I always knew [deleted - personal shot] but promoting the assassination of a president is even a bit much even for this board. You prepared for SS agents coming into your classroom to ask you questions? Possibly get fired from your job?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Nightshade wrote:No, I do not support many of our country's actions- but yes, I agree with "conflict doesn't drive extremism here because they're already extremist, and terrorism is not a reaction to this, but the product of an ideology of supremacy."
actually the only sect with such ideology is rooted in Saudi Arabia, which Lord Dampnut sells arms to, like every predecessor.
Once again you overlook Iran...or do you think Iran is a nation of peace?

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Top Gun wrote:So you had one bad personal experience that's directly analogous to a Bible-thumper stating that you'll go directly to hell if you don't accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior on the spot...and because of that you have a massive hate-on for an entire religion. Wow.
bingo.

By contrast, I have been in steady contact with literally dozens of Muslims my entire career since undergrad school. Never been asked to convert, have had several pleasant conversations about Islam and the Koran, never a threat. I don't even see those words cited by NS as scary, probably meaning, 'before you die' in the sense of 'during your lifetime'. Sheesh, all this hate from what was likely an innocent gesture.
And how many times have you used 1 or 2 friends as examples to bolster your point? At least NS has a actual experience.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:
Ferno wrote:No wonder you're so obsessed with islam. You got scared. TC had you nailed.

*facepalm*

Whatever dude. I know what I heard, I was there.

And no. I wasn't exactly scared at the time- just puzzled. I didn't develop a hatred for the ideology of islam until I learned more about it after 9/11.
bull★■◆●. You're lying through your teeth. I've been on this planet long enough to know when someone is scared of something.

How stupid do you think I am?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:I would expect people like slick to wave a leftist liberal rag as real news.
I would only expect the dumbest of the dumb to dismiss the Washington Post as NOT 'real news'. You don't disappoint, Woody.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

oh, and Ferno.....of course, NS is operating out of fear, coupled with ignorance of the overall issue.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

... all based out of one half-remembered encounter when he was a kid.

You need to face yourself, TB, and acknowledge that your own mind is playing tricks on you. You need to acknowledge the fact that your memory of what happened is not what really happened.

If you run away from that, you are just sabotaging yourself.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Was that TB's superhero origin story?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:
bingo.

Same here. Living in a college town, I've met all sorts of Muslims and not once was I asked to convert to their religion. I've also eaten at Muslim-owned restaurants in the past and nary a peep either. The food was very good by the way. It puts our poisonous American fast food to shame. Ummm, shish kabobs. However, I digress. There have been many times I have been proselytized by some of my Christian friends to the point that the whole interaction became very uncomfortable and awkward for me. Even by my idiot sister, who "found Jesus" in her late 20's after being one of the most crappy kids to ever grace my parent's home when she was a teenager, has plied me with her Jesus bull★■◆●.
woodchip wrote:And how many times have you used 1 or 2 friends as examples to bolster your point? At least NS has a actual experience.
My experience with Christian proselytizing has gone way beyond just a few friends. Perfect strangers have done it to me right out of the blue. I've have never been approached by a Muslim person wanting to do the same thing.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:
Top Gun wrote:Could someone just put this fucker out of the world's collective misery already?
I always knew [deleted - personal shot] but promoting the assassination of a president is even a bit much even for this board. You prepared for SS agents coming into your classroom to ask you questions? Possibly get fired from your job?
Funny you should say that. First off, TopGun never mentioned Trump by name, unless he tells us that's what he meant. Secondly, I'd be more afraid of the SS coming after me under a Trump administration than with any other past president. Kathy Griffin found that out the hard way. The SS knocked on her door. But not once (that I know of) did Obama sick the SS on all those right wing nutcases who were out in public hanging Obama in effigy while he was president.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You guys have some serious reading disorders (probably deliberate) NS clearly stated he formed his negative (hatred) opinion of Islam after 911 and learning more about it, and not as a result of a childhood encounter.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Once again you overlook Iran...or do you think Iran is a nation of peace?
because Iran has nothing to do with ISIS, nor Al Queda, nor most other international terror organizations, any mention would have been off-topic, don't you think? Iran, as a nation, is no more a threat to peace than the US, to be honest, if one looks at history.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

a few loose ends that strike me from recent posts. TC--the SS spent a LOT of time(not 'sic'd, just doing their job) chasing down threatening remarks and public displays about Obama. Second, to Spidey, yes, NS stated the effect of 9/11, but has showed NO EVIDENCE that he really studied anything past hate speech and propaganda, and when pressed on examples that illustrate his point, can cite on ill-remembered childhood memory versus the experience others have put forth from several lifetimes of encounters. I get that, and still say he is operating out of fear. Note I didn't place the sourcing of fear in any one spot in my own words. Finally, I have to echo the experience of others. To suggest some unique aspect of Muslims towards proselytization is just funny/odd, given most Americans spend their entire lifetime being STRONGLY approached, regularly, by those who would suggest we convert to their little brand of religion or face a firey doom.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:Note I didn't place the sourcing of fear in any one spot in my own words.
"Sheesh, all this hate from what was likely an innocent gesture."
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you don't agree??
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, because chronic hate or fear rarely stems from a single event.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:No, because chronic hate or fear rarely stems from a single event.
valid enough point. That is sort of why I'm leery of the whole childhood story as the single signpost for fear amplified or harkened to by 9/11.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Speaking of Iran, we can expect another Trump twitter tirade soon.
Spidey wrote:You guys have some serious reading disorders (probably deliberate) NS clearly stated he formed his negative (hatred) opinion of Islam after 911 and learning more about it, and not as a result of a childhood encounter.
Wrong. That's not how it works. Perceptions like that are formed when you're a child, and an event like 9/11 will just reinforce it. People can have a traumatic (or sometimes not-so traumatic) event happen when they're a kid (sometimes coloured by their parents) and it will sit in the background for years, undetected and non-interfering, until something triggers it - then it surfaces like an eruption.

Example being people being afraid and hating dogs - sometimes that's from an odd or uncomfortable encounter when they're a child, and it manifests and distorts itself into an 'I got almost mauled by a dog! Dogs are scary, evil and not to be trusted!' when what might have happened was the dog coming up and sniffing them.

You have a lot to learn, spidey.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Will there be a pop quiz?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:No, because chronic hate or fear rarely stems from a single event.
valid enough point. That is sort of why I'm leery of the whole childhood story as the single signpost for fear amplified or harkened to by 9/11.
I wasn't a child in 1997. I had my first real job as a typography and layout artist for a local newspaper at the time.

I was interested in going with my father because it sounded intriguing- to visit with people about my age from an exotic far-off country.

I continue to have contact with muslims today as well- they're occasional customers. I'm not so paranoid about one of them attacking me- but what doesn't sit well with me is what they are being brainwashed to think in their mosques every Friday and what their religion at its very roots demands of them.

Like Brigitte Gabriel said of her childhood- these were people she and her family had barbecues with...but one day they suddenly started killing Christians like her.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you've never shown the grasp of one CORE aspect of Islam. The utter independence of individual mosques and congregations, along with the leaders. You thus have no clue what the local mosques are preaching unless you are personally present to witness it. Therein lies a misunderstanding of the religion that puts a complete lie to any attempt to make Islam monolithic.
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:Will there be a pop quiz?

No, there will be a monkey with a funny hat to deliver you your diploma.

Any other stupid questions?

-----------------------------------

I had my first real job / I was interested in going with my father because it sounded intriguing- to visit with people about my age
So you went with your father to a place you thought was intriguing when you had your first real job. That tells me you were under 20 when you went. You were still a kid - not quite old enough to make a proper decision and still suseptible to misunderstandings.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:I would expect people like slick to wave a leftist liberal rag as real news.
Observe as woody tries to spin his way around a series of direct quotes. I'll just assume he panics at the mere sight of the media institution that's already taken down one criminal administration.
woodchip wrote:I always knew [deleted - personal shot] but promoting the assassination of a president is even a bit much even for this board. You prepared for SS agents coming into your classroom to ask you questions? Possibly get fired from your job?
lol

Oh, and is that a Freudian slip on your abbreviation there? Pretty sure that's the last acronym in the world Secret Service members would use to refer to their profession.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:you've never shown the grasp of one CORE aspect of Islam. The utter independence of individual mosques and congregations, along with the leaders. You thus have no clue what the local mosques are preaching unless you are personally present to witness it. Therein lies a misunderstanding of the religion that puts a complete lie to any attempt to make Islam monolithic.
I feel like a professor being shouted at by clueless SJWs here. There is no use talking to you further since you've made up your mind and are merely seeking to make wild statements based on no facts in a circular argument.

I "must be a racist" since I hate a "brown peoples' religions," therefore I am lying and nothing I say has any standing with you to begin with.

I'll have a discussion once you make the (unlikely) decision to stop being a closed minded ★■◆●.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

funny....I never mentioned skin colors. I called you on your cartoonish view of a religion adhered to by 1.5 Billion people. Feel free to stop blabbering about Islam, just don't blame it on MY intolerance.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote:I'll have a discussion once you make the (unlikely) decision to stop being a closed minded ★■◆●.
The irony is palpable.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Thunderbunny...

If you want people to listen,

You HAVE to be willing to listen yourself.

You want to have a conversation with Slick? Then you have to prove it by not dismissing it and actually listening.

If you do that, chances are... he will too.

Slick. What say you? If Thunderbunny actually tries to listen to you, will you be willing to listen to him?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Ferno wrote: Slick. What say you? If Thunderbunny actually tries to listen to you, will you be willing to listen to him?
I listen to everyone. If I didn't, I wouldn't be responding directly. I'd like a simple acknowledgment that Islam is not a monolithic religion, as I've pointed out, and am willing to have a civilized back and forth. Posting imflammatory hate-speech, regurgitated lies or exaggerations or the like as the start of a thread isn't what I'd call effective dialog technique, but his mileage may vary.......
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:
Observe as woody tries to spin his way around a series of direct quotes. I'll just assume he panics at the mere sight of the media institution that's already taken down one criminal administration.
woodchip wrote:I always knew [deleted - personal shot] but promoting the assassination of a president is even a bit much even for this board. You prepared for SS agents coming into your classroom to ask you questions? Possibly get fired from your job?
lol

Oh, and is that a Freudian slip on your abbreviation there? Pretty sure that's the last acronym in the world Secret Service members would use to refer to their profession.
So you choose to focus on my abbreviation for Secret Service. Curious.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Oh yeah, because thinking SS is 'secret service' is completely valid, and nobody can possibly misconstrue that...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yes woody why would a legendarily notorious abbreviation that any barely-educated person would immediately recognize possibly catch my eye?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, the abbreviation, "SS", is almost always is associated with Hitler and his Schutzstaffel. The Secret Service itself currently uses the USSS acronym instead. I've also heard SVC used as well.