a bit of Science for you all

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

a bit of Science for you all

Post by callmeslick »

...that explains both Cheetolini and his support base:

The Trump Effect explained by scientific research.

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in
Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated
Self-Assessments

Justin KRUGER, David DUNNING

Abstract
People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors
suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains
suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices,
but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors
found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated
their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they
estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive
skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of participants,
and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their
abilities.

Here's a link to the full publication:http://psych.colorado.edu/~vanboven/tea ... unning.pdf
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: a bit of Science for you all

Post by Nightshade »

It also explains why people like Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee and other incompetents keep being re-elected by their clueless constituents.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

probably true as well. You'd have to ask their constituents, I don't really hear from many of them myself.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You know slick, that describes my stepfather to a tee, inflated ego, inflated sense of self-worth and importance, but I'll have to hand it to him, even though he's become more conservative with age, he refused to vote for Trump.

A couple of Sunday's ago, Malcolm Gladwell made a better assessment of Trump's popularity on Meet The Press, and I kind of agree with him. He said that Trump comes off as "authentic" to a lot of people and that voters won't punish such a politician when they're in the voting booth. He's authentic because he doesn't hide his brusque and impolite New Yorker attitude. He doesn't come off as a "fake". People will take to someone like that even if they're a grade-A bully ★■◆●. He's as politically incorrect as hell, but in many voter's minds, mostly conservatives in Trump's case, that's being authentic and worth their vote.

On the other hand Hillary always came off as inauthentic, uncaring and stiff, like she's only reciting rote talking points the only purpose of which is to make her look good in the polls. Every time she spoke at some political rally, she exuded FAKE. She may not be that way in real life, but appearances are everything to a politician and the voters who decide to vote for them.

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk ... p-is-being

There's also the Christian angle. The reasons Evangelicals like Trump and Russia shouldn't be a surprise either. This article pretty much lays it out.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... putin.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

It is an insult to all the great New Yorkers I've known to suggest that Trump reflects a typical New Yorker in any sense. Sure, they are upfront, but it's a no bull★■◆● sort of brusque. No, Trump is the embodiment of every not-so-bright rich kid from a nouveau riche family. Arrogant, stupid, the embodiment of the exact traits listed in the article. I'd agree his support base is way more diverse in reasoning, hence I suggested SOME of his supporters to avoid suggesting ALL.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:It is an insult to all the great New Yorkers I've known to suggest that Trump reflects a typical New Yorker in any sense. Sure, they are upfront, but it's a no bull★■◆● sort of brusque. No, Trump is the embodiment of every not-so-bright rich kid from a nouveau riche family. Arrogant, stupid, the embodiment of the exact traits listed in the article. I'd agree his support base is way more diverse in reasoning, hence I suggested SOME of his supporters to avoid suggesting ALL.
Well, to be fair, he's "really" from New Jersey, the state who gave us Chris Christie. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

New Jersey has a fair share of bull★■◆● slingers.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've knew a couple of very nice New Jerseyans in my day, so I can't label them all as bull★■◆● slingers. However, if you could see things from the perspective of most people west of the Rockies, you might have a different opinion. To us, most New Yorkers and New Jerseyans come off to us as coarse, brash and brusque. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Hell, to Virginians, the lot of Northeasterners come off that way, but I give the average New Yorker points for being on the level. I, of course, know many fine, lovely folks from Jersey, and for those regionally attuned, there is a lot of difference between North and South Jersey archtypes, too.
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And to those of us from the Northeast, people from Virginia drive slow as hell and need to get out of our way. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

You all haven't driven the back roads down in Virginia, have you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We just slow down in places like Boston because no one can operate a freaking turn signal!
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You'd hate driving here slick. All the little old ladies come out around 10:00AM to go to the store and they all drive about 5 to 10 miles an hour less than the legal speed limit and that's pretty damned irritating in a 35 mph zone. Then after midnight, all the drunk college students drive home after the bars close, usually hitting something in the process or getting a DUII from the roving cops.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Tunnelcat wrote:You'd hate driving here slick. All the little old ladies come out around 10:00AM to go to the store and they all drive about 5 to 10 miles an hour less than the legal speed limit and that's pretty damned irritating in a 35 mph zone. Then after midnight, all the drunk college students drive home after the bars close, usually hitting something in the process or getting a DUII from the roving cops.
right around my Delaware house has similar issues. Lots of old folks, independant old farts, driving far to late in life. They are dangerous on many levels. We don't have much for drunken college students most of the time, but there are two country clubs with well stocked bars turning people loose onto sort of twisty local roads with a lot of rock walls and trees on either side.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

At least the cops around here have the bars on their radar as policy. It's almost too easy for them to get their nightly quota of DUII's because they DO profile a certain age group around the bars, especially on Thursday and Friday nights, and college-aged noobs don't seem to have the wisdom to make good choices when they go and parteeeee! Plus, if someone imbibes a little too much, they get expelled. :lol: