* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00



Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  1 2 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Top Gun wrote:
...are you being deliberately fucking obtuse? YOU SAID that someone called you a Nazi for disagreeing with them. Right fucking here:

Quote:
IE: 'I don't like what you've said from fifteen years ago so you're a NAZI!' (yes this actually happened, but i'm sworn not to repeat the details).


Okay. First, you missed the fact I wasn't talking about myself. It was a paraphrasing of an incident that happened in the states and I was privy to inside information. Second, it's not an isolated case as you say, it's actually a pervasive and toxic viewpoint that's taken hold - juxtaposed by what's been happening on more than one campus. Disagree with someone on an idea, call them a nazi; or xenophobe; or racist; or <insert caustic statement here>. Or have them barred from speaking at your campus or function. Do try to keep up.

Quote:
Oh, and I missed the part where "rape culture" was something that only exists on college campuses, because that would be a batshit insane thing to say. Care to enlighten me where that's coming from?


It is a batshit insane thing to believe in, but given the fact you agreed with the letter right after I posted it is telling me that you are turning a blind eye to the batshit.

Rape culture is an idea coined in the 1970's by second wave feminists and was used very judiciously, but has now been turned into a weapon for censorship and hysteria.

And I'm not the only one saying this. In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

/mic drop

---------------------

Quote:
Ferno, I also don't believe in a rape culture on campus. But I think the real problem in college campuses is the partying and accompanied alcohol use and abuse, which does lead to an increased opportunity for rapes to be committed against women, in the right settings and circumstances.
Colleges and Universities have been this way since the frat house was invented. We can discuss possible solutions in a different thread.

But right now, here's some more stupid for you.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... a-11143338


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
What do you think of this Ferno? Did the Obama Administration's Campus Sex Assault Rules go a little too far, as our current Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, believes? As much as I think she's a Trump flake, I think she's right in this case, that those rules went a little too far by depriving the rights of the accused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/d ... -rape.html

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Little late in the night for me to chew on that, but I found this gem

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/knwa/wh ... t-this-law

it's like.. holy shit.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
Oh, we've got one of those scumbags. An infamous Corvallis slumlord doing business under several names in the past as Bula Enterprises or The Red Door Realty and now as Rising Realty. :roll:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... 03286.html

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2006/07/342107.shtml

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/corvall ... g-kip-scho

http://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2015/r ... ttle-else/

But I've got a winner from Alex Jones. Trump has even praised this guy like he's the most knowledgeable person since Einstein. Maybe now, not so much.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.s ... d_say.html

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Tunnelcat wrote:
What do you think of this Ferno? Did the Obama Administration's Campus Sex Assault Rules go a little too far, as our current Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, believes? As much as I think she's a Trump flake, I think she's right in this case, that those rules went a little too far by depriving the rights of the accused.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/d ... -rape.html



Okay, now I can jump into this.

First off, the idea of rewriting the rules to protect both the accused and the accuser is a good step, and it's sort of like our justice system. But without seeing the plan in detail, I can only offer a few surface thoughts. If the rules account for presumtion of innocence before guilt, then it will be a benefit for all involved. It should cut down on the frivolous and fabricated cases, and it should raise the bar for evidence presented. As for the response posted y Mr. Duncan, I think he benefits from the frivolity. To what end, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is, if you have the wrongly accused attempting (and sometimes succeeding in) suicide, that is a huge indicator of a problem.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
Like you said, I'd also like to see the details of her change in the rules. I agree that if justice is to be served in any criminal case, the accused needs to have a presumption of innocence. The only problem on the victim side is, women generally tend to be put through an embarrassing ringer during the investigation and in court whenever they make a rape accusation. However, I'm not blind to the fact that the opposite is sometimes true, that some women will use a fake rape accusation as a means to destroy an innocent man's reputation and life. There needs to be a happy medium for both sides in all this.

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42 am 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
So what if they are put through some embarrassment? The courts' job is to find out the truth and embarrassment doesn't even factor into it.

Being in court is brutal, ugly and vicious. People go into a rage. People break down crying. But it needs to be done to serve justice.

-------------------------

Hey, let's fight anything that might help strengthen the power grid in case of disaster and ban anyone from using their own power source, because reasons!

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami ... ma-9666311


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
http://abc7chicago.com/university-gun-s ... s/2420158/

2nd paragraph...

Edit: one of those days I guess.

https://www.policeone.com/bizarre/artic ... lown-mask/


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
I guess it looks like these people are going to be looking for new jobs...


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
https://nypost.com/2017/09/19/jogger-wo ... ilys-lawn/

(source: http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Mad-Po ... 69443.html )


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
Is it assault if you shoot a woman on her naked butt with a paintball gun while she's taking a crap on your lawn? :P

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 15146
ICQ: 46028958
Website: http://krom.d3k.org
AOL: dutenhnj
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?
A taser would probably be more effective and memorable, if not quite as long lasting.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
I don't know. A paintball impact leaves a pretty nasty raised bruise. In the right spot, she wouldn't be able to sit down for weeks. :lol:

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
SJW's crying... like a bitch.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7096
You have a bizarre infatuation with this don't you.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
If you mean logic, then yes. If you mean treating people like decent human beings, then yes. If you mean not subscribing to being offended for the sake of feeling better, then yes. If you mean treating adults like thinking, rational beings, then yes. If you mean treating differences of opinion as differences of opinion rather than labeling it as hate speech because you simply disagree, then yes. If you mean not being so thin skinned that I need a 'safe space', then yes. If you mean wanting people to express their opinions without being the target of a vile counterattack that includes violence aimed at silencing them, then yes.

Take note: here's a person who is attacking people around her, yet she's asking for donations. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being called a racist just because you're white, even when you haven't been racist in any way to anyone.

Victim complex? Yes. Pigeonholing an entire race? Yes. Trying to force people into feeling guilty? Yes. This kind of stuff would be laughed out of the room if it was in high school.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/ ... o-end.html


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Grendel wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/22/could-world-come-to-end.html



Nice. That's a good one - a real facepalmer.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
Ferno wrote:
If you mean logic, then yes. If you mean treating people like decent human beings, then yes. If you mean not subscribing to being offended for the sake of feeling better, then yes. If you mean treating adults like thinking, rational beings, then yes. If you mean treating differences of opinion as differences of opinion rather than labeling it as hate speech because you simply disagree, then yes. If you mean not being so thin skinned that I need a 'safe space', then yes. If you mean wanting people to express their opinions without being the target of a vile counterattack that includes violence aimed at silencing them, then yes.

Take note: here's a person who is attacking people around her, yet she's asking for donations. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being called a racist just because you're white, even when you haven't been racist in any way to anyone.

Victim complex? Yes. Pigeonholing an entire race? Yes. Trying to force people into feeling guilty? Yes. This kind of stuff would be laughed out of the room if it was in high school.



Ferno wrote:
Man, this should have been in the 'stupid' thread. It would make for a great contribution.

The dissonance she's showing is hilarious. "I'll insult you but give me money!'


Well, if NS had put it here in the first place, I'd have left it here. Now you've made him happy all over again. :wink:

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
Whoopsie. :P

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/penis-d ... 202564985/

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Tunnelcat wrote:
Well, if NS had put it here in the first place, I'd have left it here. Now you've made him happy all over again. :wink:



Yup, that's what he should have done.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 3412
Location: Mars
Top Gun wrote:
You have a bizarre infatuation with this don't you.

I agree it's pretty bizarre. Take a small number of people and rant about them over and over and over again in order to make create a problem that isn't there. Seems to be talking tips from TB.

_________________
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.

And here's a little gem. Facepalm points go to Melissa Click for trying to get people to muscle a student reporter from a safe space that was a public area.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/er ... uad-clash/

And she got a nice little suspension for her bout of stupid.
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... ou/432564/


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 3412
Location: Mars
Ferno wrote:
Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.

I work on a college campus and also attend classes. Never seen a safe space. In fact, I've never even met a stereotypical SJW. Not sure why you think SJWs are a problem outside of the attention they get from Internet forums. You're as bad as ThunderBunny with this garbage. Go ahead and keep posting the same two year old incident of this apparent epidemic.

_________________
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... 0892a.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/teens/index.s ... dings.html

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 3412
Location: Mars
Tunnelcat wrote:
We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.

Emphasis on little. Also, this is a good thing. Names have meanings. I wouldn't want to attend the Jeffrey Dahmer School of Culinary Arts and I can understand why some people would be upset about attending a school named after a slave owner.

_________________
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:48 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
vision wrote:
Ferno wrote:
Vision... have a walk down to a college campus sometime and ask if they have a safe space.

I work on a college campus and also attend classes. Never seen a safe space. In fact, I've never even met a stereotypical SJW. Not sure why you think SJWs are a problem outside of the attention they get from Internet forums. You're as bad as ThunderBunny with this garbage. Go ahead and keep posting the same two year old incident of this apparent epidemic.


You're lucky in the sense that you haven't had to deal with it.


Call me whatever you want. I don't care. Believe what you want. I don't care. This thread isn't about what you think it is.

I'm still going to post stunningly stupid things that makes people facepalm because that what this thread is about. And we're going to keep laughing at it because.. it's stunningly stupid. And if that stuff includes made up problems that don't actually exist, it goes here.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 3412
Location: Mars
Ok, thanks for getting us back on track, Ferno. Let the truly stupid shine!

_________________
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
vision wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:
We've currently got this little issue in the forefront right now on Oregon State's campus. It's also going on nation wide as well, especially since the Charlottesville protests.

Emphasis on little. Also, this is a good thing. Names have meanings. I wouldn't want to attend the Jeffrey Dahmer School of Culinary Arts and I can understand why some people would be upset about attending a school named after a slave owner.


I agree on that point, no one wants to credit evil people with their name on some college building. But hell, the county I live in is named after a white supremacist, U.S. Sen. Thomas Hart Benton. How far to you go to purge names like this? The magnitude of just changing the names would be a colossal undertaking. In fact, Oregon was pretty much founded by white supremacists and racists, so even if we wanted to, we couldn't wipe out that dirty little history no matter how much we tried to scrub their names from places, streets and buildings.

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Meanwhile in Australia:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 7f8ce6f7e2


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm 
Offline
DBB Defender
DBB Defender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm
Posts: 3412
Location: Mars
Tunnelcat wrote:
How far to you go to purge names like this?

You go as far as you need it. Entire countries have changed their names. Istanbul has had a few names. They change when culture changes. We are overdue for some culture change.

_________________
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:07 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
You'd have a hell of a fight on your hands, especially from those diehard Americans of white European descent, who's predecessors were commonly racists and white supremacists. History has a certain degree of inertia and tribalism built in as well. However, I agree it's something to be considered, at least in some cases. I know that India did it just to purge a lot of the British colonial names from their cities. For instance, Mumbai used to be Bombay.

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Grendel wrote:
https://nypost.com/2017/09/19/jogger-wont-stop-pooping-on-familys-lawn/

(source: http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Mad-Po ... 69443.html )


The plot thickens...

http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-sprin ... /626058098


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Posts: 10522
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard as a reason for pooping on someone's lawn in broad daylight. :lol:

_________________
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am
Posts: 14329
Holy crap, I'm speechless.

https://www.wired.com/story/doj-nominee ... alth-fund/


Take your bullshit and shove it up your ass, Bell.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-pi ... -1.4308068


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4594362/a ... imulation/


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm 
Offline
DBB Master
DBB Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 7096
...how is that stupid? The idea of a simulated universe has been around for decades as both a sci-fi trope and a philosophical exercise, and the question of how one might be able to identify it from within has some fun implications.

Also, unsurprisingly given the source, that link woefully undersells the original journal article.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 am
Posts: 4382
Location: Corvallis OR, USA
Top Gun wrote:
Also, unsurprisingly given the source, that link woefully undersells the original journal article.


Look at you, finding the stupidity. For me the idea that our observable sphere is a simulation is pretty absurd -- just take a look at what it takes Folding@Home to simulate single proteins to fold, a process that happens billions of times every second in our bodies.

Kind of funny to spin the whole idea a bit further tho -- assuming that the Universe is the "computer" running the simulation, what does that make the "programmer" ?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: The stupid that just makes you stop in your tracks.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:06 pm 
Offline
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am
Posts: 14231
Location: Rockland,DE and Parksley, VA
I don't buy the simulaton idea at all, but just wondered what the reference to proteins folding was about. The process might seem marvelous, but to a biochemist almost pre-ordained chemically, in situ. What was the issue with the folks trying to simulate the process.

_________________
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  1 2 3

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



Descent'rs have piloted these pages
 
The layout and contents contained within this site are © DescentBB.net 1997-2006.
Descent, Descent II are © Parallax Software Corporation.
Descent III is Outrage Entertainment.
Descent is a Trademark of Interplay Productions.

Miner Wars™ is trademark of Keen Software House s. r. o.
.


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group