* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Antibiotics in your burger?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:15 pm 
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Did your fave fast food parlor make the grade?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/health/fa ... index.html

Antibiotics and hormones in meats can cause unwanted effects and disease in people including cancer and/or antibiotic resistant disease organisms.

Post subject: Re: Antibiotics in your burger?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 pm 
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

I had Chipotle about 9 months ago, but that was the last time I visited any of those places, except Starbucks every couple months when I want to remind myself how shitty their coffee is. I think I had some beans and potatoes from KFC two years ago. Maybe had Subway once last year. I live where these places can't get a foothold because the food the offer is expensive crap compared to local restaurants.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 pm 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

We've got a Panera here and the food is great. But gads, I wish we had a Chick-fil-A. I love their food. All the other fast food places pretty much have inedible food. I don't go there anymore. It's local resturaunts all the way for me. However, I used to love McDonald's french fries, but now they taste like fried cardboard and suck all the moisture out of your mouth in the first bite. In fact, I haven't had any decent french fries from anyone for years. Must be to sell more soda just to put the moisture back in your mouth. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 am 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Chipotle probably had an A for low antibiotic use and has had, what, 5 incidents of E. Coli and Listeria outbreaks. Ya pick your poison, as my Dad used to say.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 am 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from a lot of fast food joints as well. I swear that I've gotten sick more times in the last few years from fast food joints than from any other restaurant. Of course, it could be that my old digestive system just can't fight off a good dose of listeria anymore.They seem to have gotten dirtier and more run down like they're milking the business until it dies and they can retire. The franchise owners just don't seem to give a damn. Most of their places, at least around here, are grungy and rundown and the food is downright revolting. The employees usually don't like their jobs, aren't paid decently and don't care anyway.

I've also no longer buy those frozen dinners and soups that you see in the grocery store anymore. They're just plain gross and contain cheap ingredients loaded with hormones, chemicals, lots of tasteless pasta and weird spices and I can stomach Indian food. Any meat you find in them can at best be called "mystery meat". You know the residual stuff they hose off the bones and glue back together just so they can cut it up into cubes and call it steak or chicken pieces. :huh: I seriously doubt these food company CEO's even eat their own products.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

one of the joys of retirement is that I can eat more heathfully. We eat out at restaurants maybe 4 times per week on average(more lunches), but at real restaurants, not fast food too much. My diet when working was abyssmal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 pm 
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

callmeslick wrote:
My diet when working was abyssmal.
Agreed. I used to travel a lot and because of the odd times and places I would work, sometimes my only option was a gas station. My friend has gained like 50 pounds over the last decade because he's travels for work (although he'll usually spend extra to stay in a hotel will a grill to eat a little healthier).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:21 pm 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

callmeslick wrote:
one of the joys of retirement is that I can eat more heathfully. We eat out at restaurants maybe 4 times per week on average(more lunches), but at real restaurants, not fast food too much. My diet when working was abyssmal.

That's why I started grinding my own meat when I want burgers or tacos and cooking a lot of my meals from scratch. I can control the calories and portion sizes much better. I even resorted to Sous Vide cooking for my steaks just to make sure everything is safely pasteurized without overcooking it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 pm 
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner

ITT nobody read the article and simply reacted to TB's one-line butchering of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm 
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

What would be the point of reading the article? It's just another shitpost by TB.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Personally, I did read the story and I reacted by saying I no longer eat at those places for some of the reasons NS pointed out. Hormone laced crappy food that shouldn't be rewarded with my business.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 pm 
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

I too read it, quickly, and gave my response. Low antibiotics and repeated bacterial outbreaks. Sometimes this food safety shit gets complex.