The Terror of Almanacs

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

The Terror of Almanacs

Post by Birdseye »

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I would hate to be a Britannica salesman right now.

Actually, that article makes me want to go buy an almanac of Washington DC, mark it up in mysterious ways, leave it open on the front seat of my car, and then go run a red light. It would be worth the cost of the ticket to have a little fun with the police.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

How about the 'Terror of 24 Hour News Service' or the 'Terror of Agenda Driven Reporting'?

I see this as one of thousands of relatively insignificant reminders sent out to law enforcement personel daily. Any tips or insight the department can provide to keep their officers on their toes and aware they will send out or mention in briefings. No big deal and nothing new about it!

It's no more significant than a reminder on the shampoo bottle to 'wash, then rinse' or cooking instructions on a burrito 'Some microwaves will cook faster than others'.

What you ought to shake your head at is, why is this reported?
Just a slow news day...or maybe someone who wrote the article wants to ridicule the efforts of someone else, and if so, why?

My guess is the motive behind the 'heads up' about almanacs is benign and the motive behind the so called news report is either a 24 hour news cycle trying to sustain itself or even worse, reporting with malignant intent.

What's more likely, a reporter/editor who is coloring the news cycle, perhaps subconsciously, with his/her disdain for Homeland Security efforts... or a bunch of fascist cops thinking ' Yea, now we can roust all those college kids carrying books and say we were looking for almanac carrying whacko's'?

I'd say the almanac warning is a lot more benificial than the news report about it.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

It just seems like a complete waste of time and resources.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

For once, I completely agree with Birdseye.

B-
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Birdseye:
It just seems like a complete waste of time and resources.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The news report or the heads up bulletin Image

I don't think the bulletin used up much time or resource, but you wouldn't gather that from the 'news report'.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Here's my take in a D3 analogy:

Imagine a CTF Polaris game between BOT's and Asylum.
The match lasts 1 hour, during the match the BOT's players are on RogerWilco and are giving each other info on the Asylum players tactics, one of the literaly hundreds of things mentioned during the match is a heads up warning "Watch out for Barry, he's hiding behind the post in the base".

When asked after the match by the gang in PXO to fill us in on the details of the match the report focuses on the merits of the one warning of Barry's whereabouts.

Now, what was a bigger waste of time, the warning or the report?
The tactic of that warning may or may not pay off...but it was the report that was absolutely useless.

Unless there is some personal need to ridicule the person who gave the warning.....
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

I think it's a valid point that a terrorist might very well use an almanac for profiling a target area ... pretty rich source of information. It's not like they're proposing checkpoints to root out anyone with an almanac. I dunno, seems like a reasonable thing to make a mental note about during routine police work.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It's sort of like saying "if you pull over a car, and the dude is acting suspicious, and you happen to notice he's hauling fertilizer, be aware that's the sort of thing that might be used in terror attacks." It doesn't mean you go searching for dudes hauling fertilizer, but if you happen to notice it with someone you've already pulled over and think might be trouble, you make a note of it and look for related clues.

It's all about the clues. It's too bad some people don't comprehend this.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Lothar:
It's all about the clues. It's too bad some people don't comprehend this.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/34776.html

Its also about proper word choice, "obeying advice"? some people.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I just pray that the terrorists don't discover Libraries or Atlases. We would really be screwed then.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Just imagine if they discovered the internet as well.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Just imagine if they found a Victoria Secrets catalog...
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by woodchip:
Just imagine if they found a Victoria Secrets catalog...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they did, maybe the terrorism would stop Image