Bush and the Budget, Part 1

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Bush and the Budget, Part 1

Post by Birdseye »

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial ... =110004579

Any republicans care to comment on this? This seems opposite historic republican ideals.

http://www.calpundit.com/archives/003096.html

Interesting inconsistencies in Bush's budget proposal.

Would anyone care to clarify the bush economic policy for me? It's seems inconsistant and confusing to me.

Before I make my national debt thread, I'd like some clarification from the republican side.
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

I'm not a card carrying Republican, so I don't feel a need or desire to defend Bush on domestic spending. I'd call myself a conservative in terms of economics and foreign affairs though. I think the Repulicans are failing us and betraying their ideology with regard fiscal matters. And there's plenty of grumbling brewing within the Conservative ranks.

I just ran across the following article moments ago and thought I'd add it to the mix. Published by the non-partisan National Taxpayers Union, it basically says every single one of the Democratic candidates' platforms would be fiscally worse than Bush's. I dunno, doesn't look promising.

http://www.ntu.org/main/press_release.p ... _name=NTUF

On this issue, I think Will is right about both parties being the same book with a different cover. "No" doesn't seem to be a very popular word in Washingtong these days.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

"it basically says every single one of the Democratic candidates' platforms would be fiscally worse than Bush's"

From what I gleamed, it just said all Dems would raise the budget. I didn't see anything about a comparison to Bush's plan.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by index_html:
On this issue, I think Will is right about both parties being the same book with a different cover.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must give credit where credit is due, it was Birdseye who opened my eyes to just how similar they are.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Will, you have no idea how much respect I have for you. For 99% of the population, their political (and probably all major viewpoints) are solidified at around the age of 25 and barely change (maybe drifting from dem to repub at an extreme, which is really not much). But you sir, challenge yourself and attempt to view situations objectively.

I hope when I'm your age I'm able to do the same. Too many people stop critically thinking.

Birds
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I appreciate the vote of confidence.
I credit my 9 year old daughter for the re-birth of a lot of what I had lost. She would ask increduously "Why do they do that...?!?" when I would explain something political to her and my answers would often sound so insincere. Once I stopped running my answers through the filter of a political party affiliation...well, it was a pleasure to just tell the truth.

One thing I've been pleasently surprised with is, a lot of my 'conservative' beliefs still stand up on their own Image

Once I heard Tom Likus ask "Why do we have children?" I thought it was a good question and he attributed it to simple ego. I almost bought into that being a cynic at heart. Now I know he was wrong, it is because life is not complete unless you have children and give them your best.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Shame the election result is most probably already decided. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3419775.stm Seems the Republicans are determined to turn America from the world's once premier democracy into a totalitarian state by subterfuge, brow-beating, chest-pounding, lies, corruption, and any other technique they can get their hands on.

Hmmm - I wonder how far away a third, fourth, fifth and sixth term as President is?
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

LOL Mobius: It was FDR, a Democrat no less, who served four terms--his last term ended only because he died. He was the reason for the constitutional amendment limiting the President to two terms. Now, if only we can term limit congress alsoâ?¦

The U.S. of A is a republic. Republics degenerate into democracies and democracies degenerate into dictatorships. The mob rule of a democracy always opens the door to despotism.

[rant]

As a Republican, I am disgusted with George W. and the Republican Party in general:

â??Wâ?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I wonder how much steam a motion to unite elephant and donkey would get.

Would anyone notice if they got together?