CBS Censorship

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

CBS Censorship

Post by Skyalmian »

Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

FWIW, I've been lead to believe that the "Bush White House" commercials will be PSAs and non-political in nature. A good example will be the inevitable "people who purchase pot aid terrorists" message and such as that.

Now, while I enjoy a good "Bush is Hitler" commercial (note: I'll re-address that after actually viewing the commercial) as much as the next guy, I do believe that CBS is a business first and foremost. As such, I do believe they have a right to make the call on what commercials are shown during their programs. It's business, not censorship.

Now, if they start to censor their news programs in an obviously biased way, they may have a case.

EDIT: Like a friggin blind man, I read your post and just totally missed the link to the actual commercial. I'll check it out when I get home.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

if they are censoring that, they should have ot censor nike commercials too.
T-Bone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by T-Bone »

I am really tired of all of the alarmist cries of censorship. Like Pebkac said, CBS is a business and they have the right to pick and chose what they air based on the anticipated viewer response.

Censorship would be the government shutting down Moveon.org for speaking out against the establishment. If Moveon.org wants to fund their own tv station they can air â??Bush is Hitlerâ?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think they will be glad to play it except during the superbowl. The superbowl is known for introducing funny and inovative ads and there is nothing funny or inovative about political spin. Bush is a very polarizing guy right now with the election looming, to show that ad would no doubt piss off half of the audiance instantly...not wise during a program that has no political content or supports one side over the other.

kurupt, interesting take, the nike reference.
I don't see the parallel between a company that exploits child labor for profit and a liberal orginazations fantasy piece that exploits the ignorance of its voters with the notion of chid labor as the result of policy it disagrees with.

Besides, how can the conservatives put all those school kids to work paying off the deficit when they already starved them to death with their school lunch cuts...or poisoned their drinking water...
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Good points Will. However I think you may be missing the mark on the child labor. I don't think the ad is saying that kids will literally have to go to work. I think it is just saying that future generations will bear the financial burden of the deficit. Nice inflamatory images though huh?
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

All that debt isn't from Bush alone, it's been accumulating over the years. Why blame it on Bush?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by [NuB] Dedman:
Good points Will. However I think you may be missing the mark on the child labor. I don't think the ad is saying that kids will literally have to go to work. I think it is just saying that future generations will bear the financial burden of the deficit. Nice inflamatory images though huh?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I know, that's why I said: " a liberal orginazations fantasy piece that exploits <u> the ignorance of its voters</u> with the notion of chid labor as the result of policy..."

meathead, it's true Bush didn't create the deficit but he sure is doing his part to add to it without any sign of reversing the trend.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

what part of "CBS refuses to air the ad" is not censorship?

censor - transitive verb; to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

thats exactly what they did, they are censoring the ad from their network. it doesn't have to mean it is outlawed by the government for it to be censored.

my reference to nike commercials purely focuses on a well known fact; that children roughly the same age as depicted in the ad are used to make nike products (not just nike, other companies do this too). so basing the censorship on the fact that it depicts minors slaving away, they should censor more than just that commercial.

I don't know if they are not airing it because of that, but i bet you it is a very important factor in the decision not to air it. nike was just the first thing that came to mind when i watched the ad.
T-Bone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by T-Bone »

You are right Kurupt. I guess when I hear someone cry censorship government censorship is what pops to mind. My apologies.

So CBS is censoring the add. But my point is that it's their station and they have the right to air what they want.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I guess it's hard for some of us to see it as censorship because there is no right to use CBS's network. CBS is in the business of selling what it broadcasts so they decide what will please it's viewers.
I don't think of it as censorship when they don't broadcast comercials for their competitor, or movies and TV shows that they decide won't please their viewers.

It may technically fall under the definition of 'censorship' but not under the umbrella of oppressive actions designed to silence free speech because as I said, there is no right to be heard on their network.
T-Bone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by T-Bone »

Yeah, what Will said. He's so much more eloquent than me.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

to me it sounds like that decision was influenced by the religious right.
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

The networks often refuse to air spots they consider controversial. Over the years, they have turned down ads that were pro-life, pro-choice, pro-guns, anti-guns, and most other hot button issues. Truth is, the networks make these kinds of decisions all the time.

Refusal to air ad about arming pilots:
http://suppressednews.com/newsitems/med ... XsDKr.html

Refusal to air Mother Teresa "right to life" ad:
http://www.gargaro.com/mother_teresa/censored.html

Refusal to sell Ross Perot air time:
http://www.uwsa.com/pipermail/uwsa/1997q2/026641.html

CBS refuses to air PETA ad during Superbowl:
http://www.peta.org/feat/superbowl/

Refusal to air anti-SUV ads:
http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cf ... -03&cat=AN

Refusal to air "buy nothing, shoppers are pigs" ad:
http://adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd/toolbox/wsj.html

etc, etc, etc.

It's nothing new, and completely within their rights.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by kurupt:
<b> what part of "CBS refuses to air the ad" is not censorship?

censor - transitive verb; to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

thats exactly what they did, they are censoring the ad from their network. it doesn't have to mean it is outlawed by the government for it to be censored.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, moveon.org is trying to exploit the double meaning of censorship: the neutral definition you cited and the dreaded "government censorshiop". Such tactics lead me to think that moveon.org is infinitely more Hitleresque than Bush.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i would definately do the same as CBS is doing if i were in charge, but as the TV watcher i'd really like ot see that ad make it on during the superbowl. i think its clever.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Will Robinson:
<b> Yea, I know, that's why I said: " a liberal orginazations fantasy piece that exploits <u> the ignorance of its voters</u> with the notion of chid labor as the result of policy..."

meathead, it's true Bush didn't create the deficit but he sure is doing his part to add to it without any sign of reversing the trend.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok. You got me. I was taking what you said a touch to literal. I blame this cold that is keeping me home from work.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I don't understand how they can push their right-wing propaganda/anti-drug commercials (remember the "people who smoke pot support terrorism commercials from last year) and not allow this commercial to air. Either way, it is their right to not allow this sort of thing, but if they're not going to have "controversial" commercials, then they shouldn't allow those other ads either.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Beowulf, perhaps you don't remember Huffington's "people who drive SUVs support terrorism" ads that were also allowed to air.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Where is the Super Bowl being played this year? Who was the former governor? CBS is not worried about controversy...they succomb to the nasty GOP Image Remember the Reagans?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

CENSORSHIP! ITS A RIGHT-WING CONSPIRECY! WE MUST ALL BANNED TOGETHER AND FITE THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT! HOW DARE THEY REFUSE TO AIR THE BUSH=HITLER COMMERSHEL? IF THEY DON'T RUN THIS AD THEY SHOULDN'T RUN ANY OTHERS BECAUSE I CANT SEA THE DIFFERENCE! CHENEY=EVIL, AND CBS = CORPORATION = EVILER.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

The "religous right" started America, without it only Native Americans would be here, maybe the U.S. would be split between France, Britan and who know who else.
Besides, the government is technicly a Republic, not a Democrasy
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I don't get it.

I get the feeling some people here feel that media producers shouldn't have the right to say no to anything.

if that were true, we wouldn't have left or right-wing media, just a pathetic pile of crap.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">CBS refuses to air PETA ad during Superbowl:
http://www.peta.org/feat/superbowl/ </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank goodness!!!
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I don't really see anything wrong with that commercial personally. You could just edit out "Bush's deficit" and replace it with "America's deficit" and it would be just fine. Lets face it, though ol GW has added to it a great deal, it is NOT something he started and despite what the opposing politicians and media would like the American public to believe, getting Bush out of office will NOT instantly fix the deficit.

The next President will add to it, and the one after that. Maybe not as much as Bush, or maybe just as much, or maybe more, we won't really know until another President is elected. Still, this is something that we, our children and our children's children will end up contributing to help pay off. However if money keeps circulating the way it has and inflation continues like it has, I don't see that the country will ever rectify it in the long run.