Post's Time Out

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post's Time Out

Post by Sir Sam II »

My posts seem to time out in the afternoons when I try & post. I have little activity on my router during this time so it shouldn't be a bandwidth issue on my side. Is it a bandwidth/overload issue with the DBB?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

We are working on it. Things should get better soon.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Thanks for all your doing.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Richard is a good man, I will be a little more forth coming with what we will be doing.

The DBB runs off the phpbb platform and when we moved to the current host they were set up with mssql, PhpBB runs on mssql but is flaky to say the least.

Recently RC haas setup MySQL and we will be porting the DB back into MySQL sometime in the future, no actual dates are set yet as I will be recoding the latest version of phpbb with all of the DBB mods currently installed.

The schema of the database appears to be nearly ready and over the next week or so I hope to finish remodding the phpbb to include all of out mods. In the mean time RC will be practicing the import of the database from mssql to mysql.

The recent upgrades should have had a positive impact on the search engine.

Please keep in touch we welcome inputs!

KB
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I know a lot of people use and like phpBB and I don't want to bash it, hard anyway…

phpBB doesn't use any back end optimization to improve it's performance. Every thing the BB does is all written in the files (index.php for example) that must be parsed by the script engine (PHP.exe) every time the page is loaded by a visitor to the web site. This includes all of the database functions. Many functions of the board could be optimized and placed in pre-compiled functions in the back end like posting a message, reading a message, and searching messages. If the most common activities were done like this the system would be hundreds of times faster and more stable.

I guess I could write my own version of a BB and put as much of the ‘business logic’ in the middle or database tier but that would take an enormous amount of time. I guess it might be fun some day though.

RC
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

are we running IIS or apache? there are serveral projects that cache the scripts in memory once its been compiled.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Getting worse by the minute.. Can't edit posts anymore, posting is a hassle and now just reading gets me blank pages too.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Sorry Grendel I am stuck in an airport in Atlanta, won't be back home till Sunday night.

Maybe RC can see what he can do most likely it's related to phpbb and mssql.

KB
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

flip: IIS.